Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you a cat person or a dog person?

Mersander

Are you a cat person or a dog person?  

239 users have voted

1. 1. Cats or dogs?

• cats
    • dogs

I love both equally, but I would have to go with Cats for much similar reasons that others have mentioned. They are for sure easier to take care off and they don't request attention 24/7, which is good for I have a family that is fairly busy and is gone half the time. I also prefer small quiet animals. Dogs can come small, but they sure know how to make noise.

Dogs.

Cats are the most annoying creatures on the planet. The basic routine through the day would be : eat and sleep. Seriously, they do nothing beneficial whatsoever. If you think about, you're paying money to feed the cat....for what?

Dogs on the other hand are much more playful and fun. My English staffy is full of energy, everyday she plays with me in the backyard, and I walk her around the block. And when she is tired, she simply falls asleep with no distractions.

I despise cats.    nuff said

I prefer cats over dogs. Cats are a more calmer and sensible type of creatures. They don't bark as much as dogs and they seem more useful to me for some reason.

I laughed so very hard at this! I'm sorry, but the image of barking cats is just... hilarious!

My family lives in a cat-infested house (and I don't mind that too much), but I definitely would much prefer a monitor lizard companion one day!

• Brohoof 1

I'm definitely a cat person.

I they're just so easy to take care of and they're much more cleaner than dogs with all the fur, and litter and whatnot. Plus, the only noise they make is purring and meowing, much quieter than dogs.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I like both, but I guess I'm more of a cat person. Cats fit me better, since they're so independent, and besides that, there's just something I like about them that I can't explain.

• Brohoof 1

A well looked after dog will love you forever. Heck, even the abused dogs still love their owners. You train your dog, and you have a companion better than most other humans.

Looked after cats are very ungrateful. Abused cats are very timid. You can't train a cat.

Hence, I prefer dogs. COME AT ME CAT PEOPLE!

I'm an everything person, because I'm apparently a masochist who enjoys having zero seconds of her life not consumed by furry/feathered creatures. 

I've come to appretiate both species over the years and I do love cats now, but dogs have always been there for me. One of the best things about dogs is I've been familiar with them my whole life. As a little girl who's family moved every other year or every three years, I knew my people friends would change, but my dog Molly would always come with me. I really did get a good start into dogs and I think that's a big part of it. If you've had a bad dog experience early on, you many not ever come to love them. Molly is a rescue dog, but my parents took a well established breeder and trainer to the pound to pick her out. Somehow that woman picked out a dog for me that would do anything and go any where with me. Goodness knows I tortured that poor little dog. I put her in baby swings and she sat there like a pro, I put her in wagons and she never considered getting out, and when I was older I'd set her in front of me on our four wheeler and she'd nip at the wind. From there I started researching all I could about dogs (I was convinced I'd one day be the world's best Rottweiler breeder) and eventually started training them. Now I have three dogs, Molly, Gabe, and my mother's dog Pippy (horrible creature, worst dog ever).

Whether you like dogs or cats really depends on what you want out of an animal. I used to have cats because they didn't ever want to play with me, and unlike every other animal I've ever had, I could not just take a cat where every I wanted to go. (This is still true, I have walked goats, geese, horses, and dogs on all different occasions, but my cats go no where unless they FEEL like it) Cats are great animals, I've come to really love them and I think they're interesting. The social structure and train-ability of a dog makes it more appealing in my opinion.

Also with dogs, you seem to get more variety. Now I could be wrong, because I've only been in the dog show world and know nothing of pure bred cats, but it seems to me cat breeds vary in looks, and energy levels and on occasion behavioral issues. Dogs on the other hand vary greatly by breed behavior like anti-social or 'cat like' dogs to dogs that will died if you don't touch them every second, by looks from chihuahuas to Irish wolf hounds, by energy level, and by individual dogs. Like I said I'm not a cat breeder, but I've probably owned at least ten cats in my life (sadly we've lost more than one to coyotes) and they've pretty much all had the same personality. I've got two kittens right now that I've raised from like 6 weeks old who's mother was a badly injured stray and they're an exception to this rule. Very strange and interesting cats. For the most part though, you can find a dog that will do any job, at any energy level, and any size you want. There is just more to do with them and more to choose.

I love both...   Asa was my best friend and protector as a child.  BEST DOG EVER.   Kept me away from the road when I was little, protected me from any danger.

I have had better luck with cats though.   Dogs have, in the past, killed my best kitty friends... which saddened our horses... they lost their best kitty friends when the dogs killed our Miranda & Wayne.   Dogs also soiled our farm with dead goats...  -_- one that grew up with them turned on them b/c of another dog barking at them.   That same dog lunged and barked of my aged mare, Jade, causing her to flip out, rear up and I fell.   I still love dogs but I have trouble fully trusting dogs now.

My kitties...   Jazzy is king of the house... 5 yr old black 15-20 lbs monster of a cat.  Had him since he was a baby & he's so loving and loyal to me.   We also have Chromia who badly needs to be spayed... then she'll be okay and trustworthy.   Old Tank is just old and doesn't trust ppl (especially women) for good reasons.  He only really loves my fiancee but now looks to me for some companionship.

A well looked after dog will love you forever. Heck, even the abused dogs still love their owners. You train your dog, and you have a companion better than most other humans.

Looked after cats are very ungrateful. Abused cats are very timid. You can't train a cat.

Hence, I prefer dogs. COME AT ME CAT PEOPLE!

Nah, won't come at you, instead I'll give you my experiences and so forth to show you that some common "ideas" about cats are not fully correct.

Not being able to train cats is actually quite false.   I have Jazz quite trained, granted old roommates set us back a lot >_>  but he is very trained.     Cats can be taught to sit, stay, lay down, come and so forth.     Jazz also shows loyalty and how much he truly cares for his guardians... (me and my fiancee)   If we are sick or get hurt he is there in a flash trying to rub up to us or giving his warmth to an injured area.  

Like a "dog" he greets me at the door when I come home, puts his paws up and meows saying hi, then follows me all over... just like Mom's doggies do to her.... except he doesn't crap on the floor as a "you leave me, I punish you"   (daschund breed is famous for this... doesn't matter if you let her out first and if you are only gone for 1/2 hr)

Abused cats CAN be timid... we have that with Tank, he has no reason to trust any woman... but he did learn to and I can handle him now... he doesn't hide from me, hiss at me, even comes to me for food, attention, and even when I'm sick to comfort me.  (he used to hiss at me, strike out if I moved wrong and so forth)   I am still really the only woman that he'll allow to come close to, or he will come to. Some abused cats have learned confidence and everything again...  depends on the situation... same goes for dogs and every other animal.  I've seen feral cats turned around to trust people and have no future issues, I've also seen badly abused dogs still have major issues and no trust...  seen abused dogs turn on a dime on their bad owners.

Also,  Jazz and Chromia also got abused at one point... all happened when I was at work and visiting friends.   Jazz snapped out of it after I moved away from those bad people, Chromia took longer b/c of her skittish nature. 

Like dogs, depends on training, how their life is structured and so forth.

I'll take an abused cat any day... same with a dog, horse and so forth. 

I really don't want to sound like I've a crazy cat lady, but i have a confession to make. Ive been obsessed with cats for as long as I can remember. I'd say at least 50% of all the things I've ever owned are cat-related in some way.

Really though, I don't want tacky grandma sweatshirts with cats on them (unless i like it in a so-tacky-it's-good-in-a-vintage-kind-of-way-way), or Hallmark ceramic cat sculptures, or bumper stickers, or plaques with unfunny cat-lady sayings, or anything like that. I'm not THAT kind of cat lady.

I just like cats. I love everything about them and I've always thought they were the coolest/ cutest thing in the world. I also truly believe that I was a cat in my past life.

• Brohoof 1

Love both, but cats are too quiet... and calm... and mild-mannered... and boring... for my taste. Dogs are, for the most part, full of energy and personality. 

My cat lives in my garage. 

lol.

I am a HUGE dog lover.  I think the reason people voted mostly for cats might be because of Opal on MLPFIM my favorite show.  I have a beagle named sky  and he always sleeps with me during a thunder storm.

(edited)

You should add a both option because there are people like me who have a heart for both cats and dogs. Even though I've been around cats for more in my life, I still don't mind dogs as well especially Pomeranians and Dachshunds. I own two cats and a Black Lab. and I love all 3 of them to death.

The only thing about dogs that I don't like are larger dogs, not that I'm scared of them, I just don't like them, and I also don't like it when dogs jump up on me, I don't mind smaller dogs doing it, but just not larger ones.

Edited by gooM

(edited)

I'd sure as hell hope I'm a cat person...after all, my family only has four of the little bungholes.

Although I've always wanted a Siberian Husky, simply because of the wolf-like facial features and the striking blue eyes. img-1450291-1-wub.png

Edited by Lowline
  • Brohoof 1

Dog person, but not even all dogs. It has to be the size of a Golden Retriever to a German Shepherd. Labs are my favorite, because they are big, loyal, affectionate, and protective.

Cats.  Love'em.

Dogs are OK, but I've never met a dog I think I could tolerate actually living with.  Well...I mean, I did live with a dog (belonged to a roommate) for about a year...really disliked it.

• Brohoof 1

Dogs but I'm okay with cats. Both are very loyal. I think dogs are real special because they're playful and super friendly. A really neat thing about cats though is they can sense when a person is sad and then they come comfort them.

I like birds. Why isn't that an option? Well if I had to choose I'd say cats because they're more cuddly and fuzzy. Add birds to this poll though, cause birds are my favorite

• Brohoof 1

I'm a dog person I really love pugs there very loyal and very loveable and don't forget there very lazy just like me now cats on the hand just seem a little evil to me I don't really know way it just seems like their planing a way to kill me when they look at me.

Honestly I love both. I have had a cat in my life and I own a dog now. They're both fantastic.

My cat I had since I was a boy. She passed away when I turned 16, and I loved her. She was an amazing pet. So affectionate and laid back. Incredibly intelligent too.

I own a dog now. I've had her since 2009. Ninel is my basset hound and I love her very much too :wub:

She's so lazy, but can be very active when I play around with her outside. She's affection and really smart too. I take her jogging with me sometimes, and she keeps up but never goes ahead of me. She can tell when I'm sad too. I remember a couple months back I was horridly depressed and she rested her head on my lap while I was sitting on the couch. She looked into my eyes, and just jumped up and laid next to me.

All in all I love both. Though dogs are a little stronger for me even though I love cats and dogs both very much.

• 6 months later...

There must be a both option! I'm a huge fan of both creatures. Cats are easy to take care of, ridiculously eccentric and playful, and overall sleek and nice-looking whilst simultaneously looking like laughable idiots. Dogs are more difficult, but more affectionate/social, more aesthetically pleasing to me (I like their long snouts), and come in more variety.  Too many pros, I just can't decide. It'd be awesome if there existed some sort of cat dog hybrid, 'cause that would be my favorite thing ever. (Foxes are sort of like that, I suppose. Look similar to dogs, have a cattish attitude.)

• Brohoof 1

I'm much more familiar with cats than I am of dogs.  I have always wanted a dog though, I just don't know how to take care of one(my cat would probably have a fit if I got a dog anyways...)