Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Psychology of Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity

Celebrei

As far as personality typing goes, I would classify Twilight as a strong ISTJ, but it really depends on the system you are using (heck, I based my typing mostly on Jungian grounds and not MBTI). Just be aware that you aren't really talking about the same things with the four letter codes and the two letter ones.

My below explanation may be slightly biased with my personal theoretical preferences...

The four letter codes, like INTJ, are MBTI. It's more about how you think than your actual personality. At least, it was originally. MBTI's big thing is that last letter; the Judging/Percieving dichotomy. This means that INTJs and INTPs are almost complete opposites, despite what Keirsey may have you believe.

The two letter ones are Keirsey who MAKES ME RAEG WITH HOW HE'S DEFORMED MBTI INTO HIS WEIRD LITTLE STUPID made some... modifications to the theory. It's much more of a temperament system than MBTI despite stealing the notation. Keirsey Temperaments are:

Idealists: Speshul snowflake misunderstood dreamers ("NFs")

Rationals: FOR SCIENCE AND NERDINESS AND SMART PEEPS ("NTs")

Aristians: Stuff that actually requires using your hand and art and whatnot ("SPs")

Gaurdians: Those guys who are obsessed with rules and suck ("SJs")

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Keirsey, especially when he applies his temperments to MBTI types even if they actually aren't applicable grumble grumble grumble.

The point I'm trying to make is that there should probably be a bit more clarity about what we are actually using to type Twilight Sparkle here. While she is definitively a Rational type, her MBTI is a bit more unclear. And then if you bring in all the different theories about that, we could be here for quite a while. laugh.png

As far as personality typing goes, I would classify Twilight as a strong ISTJ, but it really depends on the system you are using (heck, I based my typing mostly on Jungian grounds and not MBTI). Just be aware that you aren't really talking about the same things with the four letter codes and the two letter ones.

My below explanation may be slightly biased with my personal theoretical preferences...

The four letter codes, like INTJ, are MBTI. It's more about how you think than your actual personality. At least, it was originally. MBTI's big thing is that last letter; the Judging/Percieving dichotomy. This means that INTJs and INTPs are almost complete opposites, despite what Keirsey may have you believe.

The two letter ones are Keirsey who MAKES ME RAEG WITH HOW HE'S DEFORMED MBTI INTO HIS WEIRD LITTLE STUPID made some... modifications to the theory. It's much more of a temperament system than MBTI despite stealing the notation. Keirsey Temperaments are:

Idealists: Speshul snowflake misunderstood dreamers ("NFs")

Rationals: FOR SCIENCE AND NERDINESS AND SMART PEEPS ("NTs")

Aristians: Stuff that actually requires using your hand and art and whatnot ("SPs")

Gaurdians: Those guys who are obsessed with rules and suck ("SJs")

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Keirsey, especially when he applies his temperments to MBTI types even if they actually aren't applicable grumble grumble grumble.

The point I'm trying to make is that there should probably be a bit more clarity about what we are actually using to type Twilight Sparkle here. While she is definitively a Rational type, her MBTI is a bit more unclear. And then if you bring in all the different theories about that, we could be here for quite a while. img-1413305-1-laugh.png

I know about very very basic Meyer-Briggs and that is it. This Keirsey stuff is confusing me. Anyway, how is Twilly a rationalist if she is an ISTJ, shouldn't that mean she is a Guardian? 

I know about very very basic Meyer-Briggs and that is it. This Keirsey stuff is confusing me. Anyway, how is Twilly a rationalist if she is an ISTJ, shouldn't that mean she is a Guardian? 

Sorry, my explanation was confusing, anyways. What I'm saying is that MBTI is not REALLY connected with Keirsey. I'm an ISTJ rational myself.

That's what makes me so mad about Keirsey. It uses MBTI names for a non-MBTI based theory.

(edited)

I've just recently become a Brony myself, and from watching all the episodes of MLP season 1 and 2, I have come to notice the psychological makeup of these four ponies: Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity.

Twilight Sparkle: She seems to have a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome, she never truly sought friendship until Princess Celestia's advice, her socialization skills were learned in Ponyville, though imperfectly as she seems to prioritize organization and self-study over socialization, that's not to say that she does not care for her fellow ponies, it's just that her personality and interests are more Aspergian than anything else, she also tends to over analyze situations and meticulously explain simple facts. She also panics when things don't go as planned.

Pinkie Pie: She seems to have some form of ADHD and Neurosis, she's hyperactive and her endorphines are way off the charts, always cheerful and happy and she gets excited over the simplest things.

Fluttershy: Textbook case of Social Anxiety Disorder, while Twilight Sparkle exhibits more Asperger traits with her literal thinking, organizational commitment and esoteric interests, Fluttershy exhibits more of a Social Anxiety Disorder personality, with her extreme shyness towards other ponies and her fixation on little animals to vent off her feelings of inadequacy and insecurity from other ponies.

Rarity: Narcissism, She is a good-hearted pony deep inside but she tends to place too much value on physical beauty, she sees herself as very beautiful and has fantasies on joining the Pony Elite of Equestria, most of her lines on the show tends to emphasize aesthetic beauty over everything else.

I tend to disagree with some of what you said, however I agree to an extent with most of it:

Twilight Sparkle may have some lack of need for social interaction, but that doesn't automatically equal Aspergers syndrome. As someone who is diagnosed as Aspergers, I have always sought out friendship, but have had a very tough time understanding social cues, and relating. In fact, there are times in which I have difficulty listening to others. I generally want to ramble about my own interests and obsessions, and I admit, lack some interest in others' interests. It's not that I don't care, per se, but rather that I don't always notice when people aren't interested in what I am saying. In this case, I would think that if any of the ponies have Aspergers, it would actually be Pinkie Pie, and not Twilight Sparkle. In my opinion Twilight Sparkle is simply a quiet nerd. If I were to guess if she had any disorders, I would say that she has/had antisocial "issues". She may also have a bit of OCD, considering her need to be extremely organized, or she becomes anxious, especially since OCD is an anxiety disorder. Granted, this really only applies in the beginning. She actually made an unusually rapid transition from being antisocial to being interested in friendship...

I do agree that Pinkie Pie has ADHD, and even Neurotic. She's also quite literal, as was obvious in one episode when Rainbow Dash sarcastically told her that Fluttershy is a tree, and she takes this so literally, so there's a possibility that she's Aspergers to an extent as well.

Fluttershy has very obvious social anxiety, I highly agree with this. She is textbook.

Rarity is absolutely narcissitic. She may well be vaguely OCD too, due to her extreme need for order and to keep things clean, and in top shape, though this is probably debatable.

Edited by PinkiePieClone

• 5 years later...

Their no way Twilight Sparkle shows an autistic disorder. She way to articulate and therogical. Then the typical austic disorder. You could say she has asperger syndrome because she high functioning but Most Autistic people are very literal, they say what mean and they show to have many sensory issues and are really into trying new things. I think Twilight Sparkle has an Antisocial disorder. Why well she didn’t try to make friends and it wasn’t because she had trouble with making them, she simply didn’t see the point and didn’t want them. Thats way more Antisocial then Autistic. She is shown not to care about others. The way she treats spike especially during season one. Isnt simply being she focused on others things, its more that she careless and she doesn’t really show concern. She has definitely improved since season 1 but still shown signs of it. The mental breakdown she had in Lesson Zero. Is not an Autistic breakdown, because she showed signs of delusions in her mental breakdown. Which only happens if you have a mental breakdown due to a mood disorder or a personality disorder. Finally the movie (spoiler alert) she doesn’t care about the other creatures and tries to get out of their and back home as quickly as possible. Like the time they are on the priate ship, shes doesn’t think singing should be their concern which is not normal behaviour. Or the time she’s stole the crown and got caught. She didnt want to chat with or get to known them, which again was not normal behaviour and instead tries to steal the crown and get out of their, even though the sea ponies gave them a chance. After this she yells at Pinkie and says “This isn’t equestria, we just cant dance with con artists and make rainbooms in the sky and except everything to work out! Its not enough. We are not enough.” Why would she think all this because she doesnt she trust them from the start and thinks that their something else without giving them a chance and figuring out who they are. While this can be confused as a sign of nartictism personality disorders  behaviour, this is clearly a sign of antisocial personality disorder behaviour. Antisocial disorder people dont want to get to know you and make assumptions on who you are. While people with austim disorder want to get to know people they just dont know how or understand how to do so.

3 hours ago, Hailey_Parsons said:

Their no way Twilight Sparkle shows an autistic disorder. She way to articulate and therogical. Then the typical austic disorder. You could say she has asperger syndrome because she high functioning but Most Autistic people are very literal, they say what mean and they show to have many sensory issues and are really into trying new things. I think Twilight Sparkle has an Antisocial disorder. Why well she didn’t try to make friends and it wasn’t because she had trouble with making them, she simply didn’t see the point and didn’t want them. Thats way more Antisocial then Autistic. She is shown not to care about others. The way she treats spike especially during season one. Isnt simply being she focused on others things, its more that she careless and she doesn’t really show concern. She has definitely improved since season 1 but still shown signs of it. The mental breakdown she had in Lesson Zero. Is not an Autistic breakdown, because she showed signs of delusions in her mental breakdown. Which only happens if you have a mental breakdown due to a mood disorder or a personality disorder. Finally the movie (spoiler alert) she doesn’t care about the other creatures and tries to get out of their and back home as quickly as possible. Like the time they are on the priate ship, shes doesn’t think singing should be their concern which is not normal behaviour. Or the time she’s stole the crown and got caught. She didnt want to chat with or get to known them, which again was not normal behaviour and instead tries to steal the crown and get out of their, even though the sea ponies gave them a chance. After this she yells at Pinkie and says “This isn’t equestria, we just cant dance with con artists and make rainbooms in the sky and except everything to work out! Its not enough. We are not enough.” Why would she think all this because she doesnt she trust them from the start and thinks that their something else without giving them a chance and figuring out who they are. While this can be confused as a sign of nartictism personality disorders  behaviour, this is clearly a sign of antisocial personality disorder behaviour. Antisocial disorder people dont want to get to know you and make assumptions on who you are. While people with austim disorder want to get to know people they just dont know how or understand how to do so.

People with antisocial personality disorder don’t just not care for others, they violate the rights of others and are disregard authority. Twilight, meanwhile, is very concerned with doing things the correct way, and respects the rights of others.