Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you are into that aren't so mainstream or well-known

KakeiTheWolf

Ironically, I couldn't find a thread like this.

Basically, what the title says. List the things you are into or have heard/seen that you would think others would not have been into, heard, or seen. The obscurer interests of yours, in other words.

For example, I am interested in the language Fang. Here is exactly how obscure Fang is... I have only found one site (Aside from a very brief amount in a random pdf) that teaches ANY Fang. The whole site was in French, and it became inactive quite some time ago because, generally, people in Africa don't have the best internet.

Also, I watch the youtube videos of a guy named Najlvin. Well, I only watch the ones where he films his pet fox, because those videos are kind of adorable.

So, what oddball things are you guys into?

• Brohoof 1

Also, I watch the youtube videos of a guy named Najlvin. Well, I only watch the ones where he films his pet fox, because those videos are kind of adorable.

So, what oddball things are you guys into?

I am not a pet, but I'll take the cute part as a complement.

Usually I listen to underground rappers. Not too much anymore since I've been keeping myself busy, and this one rapper I've been following for awhile now has claimed some notability.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RilUCcuFGoI

• Brohoof 2

I like this one little girls show called My Little Pony. It's pretty good, not going to lie. If you haven't already you should check it out.

• Brohoof 16

im into learning stuff

i want to learn load of things and i try to learn them (the learning is not mainstream)

so im teaching myself piano about an hour a day, practicing at singing, acrobatics, drawing,flexability and soon ill learn to sew ^w^

I play video games, I know, I'm a geek.

I use computers. I use them a lot.

Also, I watch this show called My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. It is truly really good.

*Gets Hipster Glasses*

The movie "The Boondock Saints", but you've probably never heard of it.

The show "My Little Pony", but you've probably never heard of it.

Something called good music, but you've probably never heard of it.

• Brohoof 4

Listen to a lot of unknown bands like Sleepy Kitty and Monster Rally, two of my favourites.

Play a lot of indie games.

Watch Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek (originals, of course! <3)

Am currently working on learning Elvish and Klingon <.< >.>

In my honest opinion, almost everything is mainstream nowadays, depending on which peoples you ask :I

There is still stuff, however, that not a TON of people know about.

Here's a good one... One of my favorite games is Revenant. There is a good reason why it's obscure. First off, it was made by the company that made Daikatana, so that company crashed before it could hype Revenant. Second, Revenant is one of those few games that the full version isn't even a completed game.

I'm dead serious. Only the first half of Revenant was made. The game ends suddenly, at a point nowhere near even the climax.

I listen to Poets of the Fall. This is probably the greatest band on the planet that actually has substance rather than Justin freakin' Beiber or LMFAO.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJ0D5v1PN8

I heard "War" and "Poet and the Muse" in Alan Wake and love them

I listen to a lot of music that isn't mainstream.

Wednesday 13, Blitzkid, Murderdolls, Draconian, and Heavensdust to name a few.

my beliefs and opinions aren't very mainstream either. But i'll save that for a different discussion :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't think metalcore is mainstream, if mainstream is mainly pop, rap, hip-hop, country, etc. I haven't seen many people around sporting Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive (not sure if metalcore, though), or Atreyu accessories. Then again, I don't see many people anyways.

Edited by Lolness The Hunt

I heard "War" and "Poet and the Muse" in Alan Wake and love them

War is one of the songs that I like a bit less than average to be honest. The one I linked, Passion Colors Everything, is one of my favorites.

I listen to this type of music called 'folk metal'. I know some other people who listen to it, but most of the people I tell about it have no idea what it is, so I'm assuming it's not mainstream, lol. Basically, as the name suggests, it's metal (usually thrash metal or something of the sort) combined with classic European (usually Irish) folk music. It's pretty much the best of both worlds, lol XD

Here's a pretty good example of it:

Edited by Driku12
  • Brohoof 4

Order of service, all 6 manned shuttles. (Orbiter Vehicles 95-98 and 100 were unmanned testing systems or versions, with the exception of OV-100 Pathfinder, which is a museum exhibit in Cape Canaveral built out of a wooden mockup.)

OV-101 Enterprise (Glider, never went to space, named after the Star Trek vessel NCC-1701A Enterprise.)

OV-099 Columbia (Failed on re-entry, STS 107 due to insulation foam impact during launch sequence. Crew of 7 died likely by incineration as the shuttle broke up.)

OV-102 Challenger (Failed on lift-off, STS 51 due to comprimised Solid Booster 'O' Ring because of cold temperatures the day before the launch. Solid Booster catastrophically failed 73 seconds into flight. Crew of 7 died either by asphyxiation at 120,000 feet altitude, or by impacting Atlantic ocean at terminal velocity less than 3 minutes after explosion.)

OV-103 Discovery (39 Missions, retired to Museum)

OV-104 Atlantis (33 Missions, retired)

OV-105 Endeavor (25 Missions, retired)

The main thruster bells for the shuttle are kept cool by liquid oxygen being pumped through them. This serves the dual purpose of cooling the bells so that they don't melt, and pre-heating the oxidizer so it doesn't make the fuel pumps shatter.

Most of the components in the engie must be able to take the heat of the thrust (in excess of 3000 degrees) as well as the extreme cold of the liquid hydrogen fuel (in excess of -150 degrees) simultaneously, while experiencing as high as 3 g-forces.

Posted Image

The thrust bells are also flexible, and bends three inches outwards as it cycles during engine startup at T-5 seconds, from 0.05% thrust to 75% thrust.

Temperature extremes, force extremes AND malleability make the main engines of the Shuttle some of the most impressive pieces of engineering ever devised.

I know all this from memory.

Also from memory:

Apollo 1: "Dry-run, plugs-out" unfueled pad test of Saturn V. Crew of 3 died due to fire inside Command Module. NASA is reprimanded and Standard Operating Procedure henceforth becomes stricter and more precise than any other civilian component of the United States Government. Saturn V is heavily revised and improved.

Posted Image

Apollo 2: Unmanned testing of Saturn V systems.

Apollo 3: Unmanned testing of Saturn V main engines, Stage 2 separation and Stage 2 Engines.

Apollo 4: Unmanned testing of Saturn V. termination abort and Project Highwater. Still holds record for World's Highest Altitude Artificially-Seeded Cloud.

Apollo 5: Unmanned testing of Saturn V abort systems.

Apollo 6: Manned testing of Saturn V launch and guidance systems. Middair engine shutdown, restart and simulated abort all successful.

Apollo 7: Manned Earth-orbit testing of Service Module and Command Module.

Apollo 8: Circum-lunar orbit and return. First Men Around the Moon.

Apollo 9: Manned Earth-orbit testing of Lunar Module and Lunar Lander.

Apollo 10: Circum-lunar orbit, in-orbit testing of Lander. "Dress rehersal" of Lunar Landing.

Apollo 11: Lunar landing. First Men on the Moon. Approx. 2 hour moon walk total.

Apollo 12: Lunar landing, mini-satellite launched from Service Module to keep communication with Houston constant. ~10 hour EVA.

Apollo 13: Successful failure of Service module, crew returned to Earth without injury despite losing 97% of all usable electricity and 75% of air resources.

Apollo 14: Lunar landing. ~15 hour EVA. Reentry interface currently holds Human Speed Record: ~44,000 kph (~27,300 mph).

Apollo 15: Lunar landing. Crew brings Lunar rover. Highest Speed on Surface of Moon achieved: 12 kph (7 mph). ~18 hour EVA.

Apollo 16: Lunar landing. ~20 hour EVA.

Apollo 17: Lunar landing. ~25 hour EVA, widely considered to be most successful mission due to large number of soil and rock samples returned.

Apollo 18 Apollo/Soyuz Test Mission

Apollo 19 Skylab 1

Apollo 20 Skylab 2

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 4

Not mainstream?..

Can't think of anything on the top of my head... and looking at what others wrote didn't help...

One of my favorite car companys are Citroën?

Pretty sure most people have never heard of The Danger O's. But beyond that, there is some less-mainstream stuff I enjoy but nothing I could say for certainly is really obscure.

I'm a Brony and that isn't mainstream in my sports centered society. I'm into internet memes and good video games. Still not mainstream in society.

Okay, I'm into NASCAR, and history of NASCAR.