Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would anybody like to explain this "Tulpa" thing?

Evilshy

I've seen more and more people in this and other sites talking about their Tulpas. I read the Wikipedia article, and from what I can tell, a Tulpa is a sentient being created by Tibetan Buddhists by using willpower to give your thoughts physical form.

Now, Tibetan Buddhist monks can do some pretty crazy shit through willpower and psychological shenanigans. If you can believe so profoundly that you can break two-by-fours with your abs like their made of cardboard that you actually can, I'd probably be a bit more accepting of your claim to be able to will a pony into existence when you're bored.

However, I doubt that the vast majority of people who say they have Tulpas fall under this category, so I ask, how is it different from just having an imaginary friend?

Note: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with imaginary friends. I have a few that I talk to at night. However, I know that they're in my head (and a few of them know that as well ;)), whereas one of the major parts of a Tulpa seems to be that it actually has a physical form (despite there being no way to prove this and no evidence to support it, but that's a debate for another day and another thread).

Edited by Evilshy and His Own Ego

I looked in our thread about the subject long ago and it made minimal sense to me, so I just stayed out <3 I'm unsure to believe it's as easy as people make it seem, by which I mean that just anyone can do it, and it'll result in a talking, responding 'being'.

Well its giving existence of a creature with the power of your mind to setup and establish and communicate with this creature that is within your mind.

the Human mind is a very powerful tool.

It's a lot deeper than just an imaginary friend but in a nutshell the same thing. What they do is meditate (which is pretty much just a deep though with intense focus on one thing) for hours on there tupla. They'll spend six or more hours just to figure out what they smell like, it's that detailed. And once there done they've pretty much spent so much time on it that it's embedded into there mind and they can't get rid of it. It's also a pretty dangerous process too becasue if you get it wrong they can torment you like ghosts.

Or so I've read on the internet. I'm no expert. I suggest you read this for more info.

I've seen more and more people in this and other sites talking about their Tulpas. I read the Wikipedia article, and from what I can tell, a Tulpa is a sentient being created by Tibetan Buddhists by using willpower to give your thoughts physical form.

Now, Tibetan Buddhist monks can do some pretty crazy shit through willpower and psychological shenanigans. If you can believe so profoundly that you can break two-by-fours with your abs like their made of cardboard that you actually can, I'd probably be a bit more accepting of your claim to be able to will a pony into existence when you're bored.

Well first I would just like to clarify that that most people do not follow the traditional Tibetan teachings anymore for this (although some indeed do). We don't believe we can ever give our Tulpae a true physical form, let me elaborate with the aid of a qoute from a thread I made earlier:

A Tulpa (singular form) is a thought form, which originates in Tibetan religious practices. Originally they were used to help monks learn to master their minds, and to provide companionship.

Now you are probably asking, what exactly is a tulpa, what do you mean by thought form?

A tulpa is a sentient being within the confines of your mind, a self-imposed hallucination, that is actually capable of thinking, imagining, and being its own person/creature/whatever. Essentially, in theory (the practice nowadays is based in psychology, not the metaphysical stuff of Tibetan practice, although some still try to follow those ways) you are cutting (not literally, it is more like running two programs on the same computer, you and your tulpa being separate programs on the operating system of your brain) off a part of your subconscious and allowing it to grow into its own being.

It has its own opinions, likes/dislikes, thoughts, and the like. You, and only you see this tulpa, and eventually with enough work you can impose it on your sense so it seems to exist both in and out of your mind.

I have been Tulpaforcing (working with my tulpa to help her grow) for many hours now, and have been narrating (talking to her) longer still. She is now fully visualized in my mind (I can see her in my head, along with the world she is in), and vocal (also only within my mind). We are currently working on imposing her on my senses, slowly but surely.

It sounds crazy, and I felt sort of crazy at first, but there are many people who have fully imposed tulpae (sometimes more than one) and I have been actively conversing with her for a while and its quite enjoyable. After experiencing it, and learning more about it, I am finding that the psychology behind it really does make sense.

However, I doubt that the vast majority of people who say they have Tulpas fall under this category, so I ask, how is it different from just having an imaginary friend?

Note: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with imaginary friends. I have a few that I talk to at night. However, I know that they're in my head (and a few of them know that as well ;)), whereas one of the major parts of a Tulpa seems to be that it actually has a physical form (despite there being no way to prove this and no evidence to support it, but that's a debate for another day and another thread).

Like I said earlier, they do not "have a physical form" in the new psychological approach to creating Tulpae. Yes we do impose them on our senses (which just means that we trick ourselves into believing we can sense them even though they aren't really there).

Also, a Tulpa is different from an imaginary friend in that, from what I know, imaginary friends require you to be their puppet master. They require you thinking of them speaking/doing things to act. Whereas a Tulpa is your subconscious learning to respond to you on its own when you interact with it. Yes, we do occasionally puppet our Tulpae on accident, we're especially vulnerable to this at the beggining, but we learn to avoid it as time goes on. Like I cut the "puppet strings" on Arya in my minds eye to symbolize I wouldn't be able to puppet her anymore, and it helped both of us.

A Tulpa can respond on its own without you thinking up the words, they walk around doing things in your mind on their own, they form their own opinions and are ever-changing just like a physical being.

It's a lot deeper than just an imaginary friend but in a nutshell the same thing. What they do is meditate (which is pretty much just a deep though with intense focus on one thing) for hours on there tupla. They'll spend six or more hours just to figure out what they smell like, it's that detailed. And once there done they've pretty much spent so much time on it that it's embedded into there mind and they can't get rid of it. It's also a pretty dangerous process too becasue if you get it wrong they can torment you like ghosts.

Or so I've read on the internet. I'm no expert. I suggest you read this for more info.

Yes we do meditate, it is called Tulpaforcing, and it essentially boils down to us concentrating on our Tulpae hard enough to imprint them on our minds. However you are incorrect in saying that it is dangerous, a Tulpa wants to live as much as any other being, so they generally don't mistreat their creator. This is because a Tulpa can be killed by ignoring them, not talking to them, denying their existence. It can take time, but they will die, slowly forgotten until they fade into the oblivion of your mind again.

Arya has told me that that is the single scariest thing for a Tulpa, and that she feared what would happen if I gave up on creating her. Essentially like being locked in a dark room until the darkness literally eats you alive. That is why I advocate not creating a Tulpa unless you absolutely know you want to go through with it. They may not be able to speak to you, but once you've put a good amount of work into it, they will die if you start ignoring them and to do that is cruel.

Now if you did happen to create a "bad" Tulpa, it would be your own fault. A Tulpa is born of what you put into them, so you would have to choose to make a Tulpa like that (and when they deviate, they generally deviate to make the creator-tulpa relationship more positive).

Now if you have any further questions, comments, or concerns feel free to talk to either myself or Arya.

Arya: "Yes if you have any questions you want to ask me yourself feel free to, don't feel it necessary to go through Cody (Nevermore)."

Edited by Guest

It is psychology in action. People do this sort of thing all the time in life without realizing it. Pain resistance, prepping for big events, telling yourself you will do better/be better, focusing on working out, etc. All of these things are you using your mind to alter your perception and create a result. Anyway, I have a bit of a problem with your choice of words. Regardless of what you may believe, we who make Tulpae do care about them, so saying no one actually cares is not only wrong but insulting.

And no, not the same effect. Drugs actually alter the makeup of the brain, causing hormones and the like to be either replaced/heightened/lowered. This creates a temporary effect of perceiving a different feeling, which subsides when the drug leaves the body. After leaving the body, the body is already altered and in some cases then craves more of the drug because it stopped creating the hormone or the like that the drug duplicated.

Yes we alter our perception, but through hard work and perseverance. Not idiotic drugs which will harm us mentally and more than likely physically in the long run. Not only this, but Tulpae don't come and go with the wind like the experiences drugs give you, they stay and are stable. On top of this, a Tulpa isn't just for kicks or teh lulz or whatever other stupid reasons people use drugs.

Edited by Guest
For consistency.

Okay, so I read a ton of stuff on that site Krystal linked, and what Nevermore and Arya posted, and this is some pretty crazy and serious stuff. I am definitely going to study this stuff more.

Also, this is very intriguing. The idea of being able to talk to my subconscious is quite attractive to me, even more so if I could actually see some manifestation of it. However, I'm not sure I could create one; my mind wanders far too much for me to concentrate like that :/

Reading and thinking about a Tulpa is giving me that queasy feeling in my stomach, a sure sign that I'm definitely interested on a deeper level than normal.

• Brohoof 4

Ha my post got removed, I find that funny... So I will say it again, a little nicer, its jist some thing that people medditate and concentrate really hard on and then they imagine things (i think)

@@Chigens and Kay,

@,

This stuff is actually starting to interest me as well. I'm going to research this a bit further before I start doing anything else.

@,

I would actually like to know if you are going to through with it though and what you find about it, and what its like. :)

Tulpas are basically your subconscious manifesting itself into a sentient thing. While creating it, you have the control over how it will interpret everything and what type of responses it will give. Yes, it seems insane. Yes, we probably all do belong in the nuthouse. Yes, it does work. With hard work and concentration, a tulpa is perfectly possible.

Posted Image

This, my friend, is Lyra. Isn't she cute?

(Yes, I'm joking)

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so I read a ton of stuff on that site Krystal linked, and what Nevermore and Arya posted, and this is some pretty crazy and serious stuff. I am definitely going to study this stuff more.

Also, this is very intriguing. The idea of being able to talk to my subconscious is quite attractive to me, even more so if I could actually see some manifestation of it. However, I'm not sure I could create one; my mind wanders far too much for me to concentrate like that :/

Reading and thinking about a Tulpa is giving me that queasy feeling in my stomach, a sure sign that I'm definitely interested on a deeper level than normal.

If you are interested, and you think you are up to the commitment you could give it a try. My above warning still stands though, think of the tulpa and if you actually want this (not trying to deter you, just giving fair warning in protection of the Tulpa).

Also, don't worry about lack of concentration. If I had a dollar for every time my mind wandered when trying to Tulpaforce I would be rich by now. As long as you give them attention, narrate to them, and keep up a fairly steady Tulpaforcing routine (even if you are distracted at times, which can be alleviated with some helpful tips/hints/ and tricks) you will be able to make a Tulpa.

I personally have a hard time actually sitting down and forcing for long periods, so Arya and I utilize a method called Micro-forcing, which is essentially that we do mini-forcing sessions throughout the day instead of one or two long ones. I would suggest trying the longer ones first, but then doing what feels better for you after you get the hang of it.

There really is no "wrong" way to make a Tulpa, and everyone's experiences is a little different.

Ha my post got removed, I find that funny... So I will say it again, a little nicer, its jist some thing that people medditate and concentrate really hard on and then they imagine things (i think)

In a simple sense, yes. However in a more in depth sense it isn't quite correct. Once the Tulpa begins speaking/acting on its own you aren't really quite "imagining it" anymore. Your mind is actually reacting to itself, sort of like meta-cognition. You may be the only one perceiving it, but it isn't just your imagination. That would lie more with imaginary friends, which require you to think and act for them like puppets.

Once the mind begins to act on its own apart from you and responding to you, that is an actual real mental process. It is no longer you imagining someone is there because your brain truly is acting as another person.

@@Chigens and Kay,

@,

This stuff is actually starting to interest me as well. I'm going to research this a bit further before I start doing anything else.

@,

I would actually like to know if you are going to through with it though and what you find about it, and what its like. :)

If either of you do decide to go through with it, make sure to read up on it as much as you can, learn the tips/tricks/and hints from people who have already tried to do it. Don't follow anything like a golden rule though, everyone is different and everything is merely a suggested guideline. I would be glad (as would many other current Tulpamancers out there) to help you, as would Arya.

Also, look at the post I sent to EvilShy, the same general info works for you as well.

I just started trying to make a tulpa (last night to be precise) because I also thought it was intriguing. The main problem I'm having is.... you guessed it, my mind wanders too easily. :P

And even weirder, I also have that feeling in my stomach whenever I post or read in the thread we have about them.

I've had a Rainbow Dash Tulpa for a little over a week, and even then I find myself laughing whenever she arrives. Yet again, I created her in about ten to fifteen seconds. I can actually feel her, I can actually see her, and I can actually hear her. Just read the Pony Tulpa forum to receive more depth and input.

You too huh?

I'm still deciding whether to (try to) make one or not.

It interests me so much but I'm not sure if I have the attention span to do this sort of thing.

They don't make much sense to me either, so I stay away from it because it doesn't interest me. (and my parents would think it's "Satanic" or something.)

They don't make much sense to me either, so I stay away from it because it doesn't interest me. (and my parents would think it's "Satanic" or something.)

Now this is interesting. Why do you suppose people are uncomfortable with this whole idea to begin with?

People may get mad at me, but I have come to a simple conclusion regarding Tulpas...

Imaginary friends for grown-ups.

I actually think it's quite alarming that people would intentionally try to develop a secondary personality to converse/inter-react with.

• Brohoof 2

Its basically tricking the mind to think something is there. There's nothing magical, strange or crazy about it. It's just managing to convince your mind that yes, there is an object there and it exists.

People may get mad at me, but I have come to a simple conclusion regarding Tulpas...

I actually think it's quite alarming that people would intentionally try to develop a secondary personality to converse/inter-react with.

Of course they're imaginary friends, what else could do they? It's just the mind perceiving something that's truly not there. I, personally, think they can be a fantastic and terrible idea, depending on how they're used.

Its basically tricking the mind to think something is there. There's nothing magical, strange or crazy about it. It's just managing to convince your mind that yes, there is an object there and it exists.

Of course they're imaginary friends, what else could do they? It's just the mind perceiving something that's truly not there. I, personally, think they can be a fantastic and terrible idea, depending on how they're used.

Have you ever watched the movie "Mr. Brooks"? I'm not saying that's a true Tupla situation, but it does give one pause.

I'd like to know the answer to all this too.

Because from the descriptions, it sounded like I already had one. Of a sentient being as described. However from what I was told and learned, it was my animus. Or perhaps my shadow type, as he has the exact reverse of functions (in the measure of the MBTI) that I have.

Tulpas sound something different, but maybe actually exactly the same as that of Jungian theory.

All human beings have a shadow personality. It's been recommended in Jungian theory upon part of the process to Individuation that we talk to our shadow type. Which is what I'm assuming these tulpas actually turn out to be.. only assuming the connection here though. But the awareness of the secondary entity, the shadow, is considered a good thing..

I'm already good at playing out terrible self-insert fanfic in my head to entertain myself, so I'm good.

No offense to anyone, I mean that seriously. I can entertain myself by having horrible self-insert fanfic daydreams. Don't worry though, I don't write any of it, I try to only write good ideas.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm..

A few things concern me about doing this myself.

1. I'm a bit of a psychonaut. I admit I love the change in perspective that comes with psychedelia. All these experiences have been measured and finite, however, and I'm worried about synthesizing another consciousness within my mind and the fact that it operates without my express and intentional consent. I am also not stoked about the possibility of it becoming something I did not intend or that I can't readily turn off.

2. I already am the sort of person who is not good at identifying his own emotions. Like an alien or a robot, almost. When I'm sad, for instance, the reason for my sadness is always overridden by my analysis of the fact that my brain is making the "sadness" chemicals, and that I'm currently being a sad person, and it rather makes me impersonal to my own life. Same with anger, and horniness, and happiness, for the most part. With that in mind, I am unsure if I would be able to successfully make a tulpa without constantly reigning it in and remembering what its source is. I don't know if I can trick my brain so easily.