Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would anybody like to explain this "Tulpa" thing?

Evilshy

You wouldn't be nonplussed. You would react in the same way you are doing here and probably make those renowned astronomers marvel at your demanding diva attitude.

Don't you realize how comedically over-the-top your expectations towards people are?

Sure, why don't you just keep insisting I would be denying evidence because of my denying-of-baseless-theories

Go ahead and swallow the key to your great insight, but please, please stop insisting I'm not interested in the contents of the chest.

For celestia's sake?

I didn't really see eye to eye with the Tulpa Master-thread on my first visit. It doesn't bother me any more though. I've been meaning to return there sometime and make amends for all the arguing I did but it was that long ago I'm probably the only one who remembers it still haha.

I understand that at the core you are afraid of a 'bigger world', after all, the rational mind operates based on fear and opposition of harmful influences.

A rational mind appreciates the value of information. Knowing more things about your environment and its mechanics yields better methods of achieving all kinds of things. So to say that a rational mind is afraid of a bigger world isn't right, but I assume you mean fear of the unknown, in a broad sense.

What does fear of the unknown translate to in practical terms though? In the jungle, "maybe there's a predator behind that bush", would be a good reason not to check, if you have no other reason to. On the internet though, that's probably not going to happen. Here, and in the sense you mean, it'd just be a fear of being wrong; of having your ideas overturned. People care about that because they're emotionally attached, or would rather avoid the hassle of learning something new. Emotions and laziness aren't the trademark of reason either. Computers treat all facts equally. Humans don't.

What you said about a rational mind wanting to avoid harm is true, but a rational mind doesn't just flee from bad things. It seeks good things. So it's push and pull. To that extent, it needs a direction to move in; a way to direct it's effort. The rational mind isn't just self-preserving, it's economic. Economic minds need to make decisions based on probability, because wasted effort is itself harmful. It's an expense with no return. Rack up enough of those and you'd eventually die. Okay, having your time wasted on the internet probably hasn't caused a lot of deaths, but it's the principle of the thing.

The takeaway here is that the decision to undertake some action has two parts. First, the choice to expend the effort, second, the result of the effort. Reasonable people routinely decide against seriously looking into flimsy, unsupported ideas because there's so damn many of them. Maybe every now and then one of them would pan out, but to spend the effort on all of them results in a net loss.

The argument you're having with Milky Jade has nothing to do with part two: the results. It's stuck on part one: why should Milky Jade give a damn? Forget the florid metaphysical conjecture; give him any reason not to dismiss you outright, and at least I'd be impressed.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen more and more people in this and other sites talking about their Tulpas. I read the Wikipedia article, and from what I can tell, a Tulpa is a sentient being created by Tibetan Buddhists by using willpower to give your thoughts physical form. Now, Tibetan Buddhist monks can do some pretty crazy shit through willpower and psychological shenanigans. If you can believe so profoundly that you can break two-by-fours with your abs like their made of cardboard that you actually can, I'd probably be a bit more accepting of your claim to be able to will a pony into existence when you're bored. However, I doubt that the vast majority of people who say they have Tulpas fall under this category, so I ask, how is it different from just having an imaginary friend? Note: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with imaginary friends. I have a few that I talk to at night. However, I know that they're in my head (and a few of them know that as well ;)), whereas one of the major parts of a Tulpa seems to be that it actually has a physical form (despite there being no way to prove this and no evidence to support it, but that's a debate for another day and another thread).

(why do I love that Evilshy thing so much and sing it in a creepy way every time I see it?)

anyway does not make sense to me....welcome to the herd...