Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We Have a Canon Map of Equestria!

Comet Tail

Posted Image

Story here:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/08/official-map-and-season-2-cast-picture.html

First off, it establishes the fact that Equestria is a land, or a nation, rather than the world. Why? There's arrows pointing different ways to different lands that aren't on the map of Equestria, therefore, if map of Equestria =/= map of the world, then Equestria is not the world ;)

LOL, and I love the "Distance not to scale" bit! Looks like Hasbro has learned there's people like me in the fandom who would've analyzed it pixel by pixel :P

All we know for scale, is that the train rides from Ponyville to Canterlot, and from Ponyville to Apple Loosa (Which I've always assumed is Appaloosa) are both overnighters. Hard to say exactly how long they were in addition to all night, though. Both in "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" (S2E24) and in S1E21 "Over a Barrel", the train ride was all night, and some of the day before and day after the night.

In "Over a Barrel", we know the train arrived at ~2pm (from a clocktower) but that does us no good because we don't know the departure time...

Anyways, I know someone else made a thread about the countries and such with the map, but this thread is just about anything to do with the canon map at all, now.

Personally, I'm already speculating about the whole planet. In fact, this works absolute wonders for my explanation of what Luna does to keep the moon in orbit. Roughly guessing, this whole thing can't be much bigger than the continental U.S. Given a large land mass South, and a moderate land mass North, both of which extend a good distance east and are mountainous, this fits perfectly.

(The large oceans increase tidal braking, and the gas giant that passes close in my explanation linked above would upset the world geothermally, causing mountain ranges and volcanoes to form.)

Anyways, any comments and/or thoughts about the canon worldmap appreciated :D

• Brohoof 10

In "Over a Barrel", we know the train arrived at ~2pm (from a clocktower) but that does us no good because we don't know the departure time...

It's interesting - according to the map, I think we can safely establish that the distance from Ponyville to Canterlot is ultimately a bit smaller than the distance from Ponyville to Appleloosa (oh, the train requires to spiral around the mountain to actually get into Canterlot). But the main thing I want to touch up on - the arrival time to Appleloosa - 2 PM.

According to Over a Barrel, we can see the train going on for the entire night (everypony trying to sleep signifies it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22g5QkG8OBk

The beginning of the episode had the express leaving in broad daylight - perhaps the afternoon. After the intro, the entire thing shifts to nighttime - I'm willing to believe that either 1) the actual ride is longer than what anyone would expect to begin with or 2) the canonical days in which this episode stands is set during a season where days are short and thus the sun sets quicker than usual. Granted, the landscape isn't brilliantly lit up by Celestia's sun to start off, so I would have to place the departure time perhaps a full day before the arrival time, 2 PM.

Though, in the episode, at 4:00, the sun seems to rise just before the train arrives at Appleloosa. I've been poking around this for a while, and it's just confusing... is that clocktower wrong?

• Brohoof 1

Posted Image

(Okay, first of all, you might wanna fix the broken image in the op, there.)

One of the most important aspects of setting up a proper canon for a franchise is the locales, which this map completes. Now, those über levels of speculation and connection can really rev up. It's good that there's an official one for once. Now we have a better understanding of the approximate distance between certain areas (though I have the feeling I just stated the obvious), which will indeed make activiites that involve this fandom (fanfics, RPing, etc.) much, much easier.

Now, to go to replace every single bucking world map with that thing.

Edited by NASCARFAN160

Just checked out the map again - this time, properly. From what I can tell, Equestria is basically all of North America... even funnier, is that Appleloosa contains ponies with southerner accents and is also conveniently in southern Equestria. Now, this might strike as obvious to most people, but the amount of detail on off-screen products is just astounding (they're even more detailed in the actual show).

I like how the Crystal Mountains seem to represent the territories of Canada, complete with igloos and masses of snow of the sort. Vanhoofer is also located just southwest of it - I'd imagine the weather pegasi there buck clouds on a daily basis since the real world city gets a lot of rain.

And I wouldn't be surprised if season three had an episode involving the mane 6 heading to Baltimare, only to stumble upon pony-thugs due to its real life counterpart Baltimore being ridden with crime. :P

• Brohoof 3

Been waiting for something like this to come along, looks very nice. I found an incredibly well-done fan made map of not just Equestria but the entire globe, not long ago, and have been using that, but a canon map of Equestria itself is certainly helpful as we venture into Season 3.

Mentioned Fan-Made Map: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/208/e/1/where_the_world_ends__draft_4_by_hlissner-d41u766.jpg

This is a very cool thing to have, it would be awesome if the mane 6 could visit all of those locations as the series goes on, and maybe even lands beyond Equestria. :D

Who knows, maybe we'll even see a map like that in the show now! :o

Edited by (\SBB64/)
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's interesting - according to the map, I think we can safely establish that the distance from Ponyville to Canterlot is ultimately a bit smaller than the distance from Ponyville to Appleloosa (oh, the train requires to spiral around the mountain to actually get into Canterlot). But the main thing I want to touch up on - the arrival time to Appleloosa - 2 PM.

According to Over a Barrel, we can see the train going on for the entire night (everypony trying to sleep signifies it).

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=22g5QkG8OBk

The beginning of the episode had the express leaving in broad daylight - perhaps the afternoon. After the intro, the entire thing shifts to nighttime - I'm willing to believe that either 1) the actual ride is longer than what anyone would expect to begin with or 2) the canonical days in which this episode stands is set during a season where days are short and thus the sun sets quicker than usual. Granted, the landscape isn't brilliantly lit up by Celestia's sun to start off, so I would have to place the departure time perhaps a full day before the arrival time, 2 PM.

Though, in the episode, at 4:00, the sun seems to rise just before the train arrives at Appleloosa. I've been poking around this for a while, and it's just confusing... is that clocktower wrong?

Commercial break in-between the sunrise and the arrival - we don't know how much time passed in the show :/

As for leaving the station, it didn't leave the station in the episode.

But, despite that, we can still calculate a minimum distance, given how much ground the train may have covered in the show.

Actually, scratch that. In the spoiler is my attempts. But what I came up with is an Equestria half the size of Earth. Clearly, somewhere, something went wrong ^_^

My guess is the source data. The speed is artistically depicted, so that's way off, should probably be along the lines of 25 mph, and the map is very variable, and my figures for how much the tracks swerve were pure guesses. I could probably still establish a reasonable guess of the minimum size...

But, I'm sure what the writers intend, and what makes most sense, is that it's a bit smaller than North America, and the overnight ride to Canterlot is probably because of all the ramping needed to climb that high.

I say smaller, because they don't have jets that travel at 500 mph to fly around in like we do :P

Anyways, old, dusty, abandoned, disused calculations are below.

First off, we'll find the amount of time the train spent in desert - the episode starts with the train in desert. On the map, let's roughly assume that it spends 2x as long in temperate climate before entering desert, so the figure we find here will be 1/3rd our minimum travel time. (first two-thirds are in a temperate area, last one-third is in desert, so desert time x3 is entire time)

Let's assume the night lasted at least from 8:00p - 4:00a, 8 hours, and a max of 5:00p to 7:00a, 14 hours, given that the latitude under the sun is similar to North America's.

If we assume the episode starts at least an hour prior to sundown, and the train left 3x as long ago, then that means the elapsed time on screen was at least:

7pm - 2pm the next day. (19 hours)

and at most

4pm - 2pm the next day (22 hours)

19 to 22 hours.

x3 for the whole journey:

57 to 66 hours.

Now we just need to find their average travel speed...

Given their size for scale:

post-1477-0-29859600-1344128298_thumb.png

And the distance they travel per second:

post-1477-0-65672700-1344128322_thumb.png

26.5px = 3.53'

(500 / 26.5) * 3.53 = 66.6 ft/s

= 45.4 mph

At 57 to 66 hours, that comes out as:

2,587.8 miles to 2,996.4 miles.

Now, on the map, it looks like the track is angled around 45* to Apple Loosa and Ponyville, which would mean the TRUE straight-line distance is only 0.707x the figure listed above.

But in addition to that, the track will curve a lot to avoid obstacles and for terrain accomadation. Let's say that swerving makes the track 40% longer than it needs to be.

So the non-straight line factors come out to 0.707/1.40 = 0.505

2,587.8 x 0.505 = 1,306.84 miles.

2,996.4 x 0.505 = 1,513.18 miles.

So, the distance is probably roughly 1300 to 1500 miles.

So, I'm accepting the mean distance of 1400 miles, and breaking the "not to scale" rule :P

On that note, Equestria is this big:

///

Been waiting for something like this to come along, looks very nice. I found an incredibly well-done fan made map of not just Equestria but the entire globe, not long ago, and have been using that, but a canon map of Equestria itself is certainly helpful as we venture into Season 3.

Mentioned Fan-Made Map: http://fc04.devianta...ner-d41u766.jpg

Awesome fan-made map! Makes me think of how the territories are drawn in League of Nations or Empire Earth 2 :P

Also gives me the urge to mod a Defcon map for it. Hehe, I did a World of Warcraft mod, and a "Avatar: The Last Airbender" world mod. Very fun game to mod :P lol.

By the way, this is Defcon, if you don't know what I'm talking about:

Posted Image

Edited by Mattlight
  • Brohoof 1

Oh man so I'm guessing the Crystal Kingdom lies within the Crystal Mountains. The Changelings are probably in the badlands right now. This is so awesome. This gives us a whole lot more to speculate on. I really hope theirs an episode where they visit those other cities. I would love to see how they knock off things in those cities. Like the hollywood (Applewood) sign.

Crap, this screws up my fanfic!

Also, Crystal Mountains? Is this where the Crystal Pony kingdom lies?

Yes. The Crystal Ponies are...Canadians. That's why no one ever heard of them before.

and we all know Canada is the frozen north, eh.

I like the idea that Unicorns get their own range of mountains. I am so building a fancy cabin there...and a few hovels to house my earth pony staff.

What intrigues me is the White Tail Forest. Buffalo are established as another intelligent race, so are Zebras.

are Deer/Elk the next intelligent race?

Edited by Silverhoof
  • Brohoof 1

What intrigues me is the White Tail Forest. Buffalo are established as another intelligent race, so are Zebras.

are Deer/Elk the next intelligent race?

It's not an unusual assumption to make, so I anticipate it despite no confirmation or otherwise suggestion.

Well that's pretty awesome.

Also, it would be great if I could get my hands on a blank version of this.

You mean like a geographic one, or some cleaned up a bit?

Just finished it.

Posted Image

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

It's not an unusual assumption to make, so I anticipate it despite no confirmation or otherwise suggestion.

You mean like a geographic one, or some cleaned up a bit?

Just finished it.

Posted Image

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7L7lalP1Lk

Minus the "I'm bored" part ;)

Really, amazing job here! Thank you very much for doing and uploading! Only thing, though, is that the map isn't to scale according to the disclaimer, so that leaves some margin of error :P

Lol, excellent job, though, thanks!

• Brohoof 1

Wow thats cool. Now I know were Manehatten is :lol: was always wondering that! Seemingly the map isnt to scale or something u say..

But yeah, it is pretty cool to have an actual cannon map after so long of us trying to figure out where everything would be. Instead of, my case atleast, overworking my brain only to confuse myself further :P

Edited by Applesmack

Veeeeeeery intriguing. My only qualm is no Seaddle, but I can always fake my way past that if needs be.

I hope this opens itself up to a lot more traveling in Seasons 3 and beyond. After all, if Equestria is this vast and there are so many things in it, I desperately hope we get the opportunity to see all of it at some point, especially if there are other countries out there. Maybe a sort of Chiasmus deal, with each season slowly increasing in scope, then bringing it back down for the last few seasons. I think that would be sick.

Wow, that's pretty neat! And actual canon Equestria map! I can't help but laugh at the name: "Macintosh Hills". Seriosuly, I don't know why I find that funny. I have a feeling most of these locations will be in S3.

Crystal mountains? I'm assuming that's where the Crystal Fair is being held.