Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Derpy Hooves have got used to her derpy eyes?

Wonka

I mean, to say, assuming that she's been born with her derpy eyes, wouldn't she have?

In other words, would Derpy have learned to "manage her eyes."

Hard to express it or to put it in words, but let's put it this way:

Derpy could've got help for her eyes, learned tricks and tips and whatnot so that she could use her eye sight just like a normal person with normal eyes.

In other words, Derpy's eyesight shouldn't be affecting her, or at least not as much, especially her motor skills, if she's learned tips and tricks to use them just like any normal person.

or maybe Derpy's eyes are totally normal, she wears a contact lens in one eye that makes it look derped D:

She could also have some sort of equipment to help her.

The creator said that the was a animation problem when they made her on the first episode.

I stated in the OP that I assumed that she was born with them, and I should add to it, she was given them on purpose.

And even if the eyes were a mistake, she now has them perminentally, thanks to the fandom, so it doesn't matter whether if the eyes were a mistake or not, she has them now.

Edited by Wonka

I like to think that she was born with them and she probably has vision problems but has learned to cope with them. Though, I also think that she has slight mental issues to go along with her derped eyes so she may still have problems doing some things. But, she's not all that mental because (according to fanon) she has a job as a mail mare which I'm sure she had to have some sort of mental capacity to qualify for.

Edited by Apple Bloom

Most people with lazy eyes get used to it after a while, and they learn how to view the best way possible with their disability, much like anyone else with a different disability...

Making it to adulthood, it appears that she must have grown used to it without taking anymore major physical damage, so one can assume that: Yes... Ditzy "Derpy Hooves" Doo has gotten used to her eyes the way they are.

I actually see Derpy's eyes straight more than derped.

Sonic Rainboom - RD switching the numbers

Look Before You Sleep - Breaking a twig

Applebuck Season - Seeing the poison muffins

Mare in the Moon - When Twilight went back to the library

Theres more, but was lazy to post. :/

• 2 months later...

Derpy's eye condition mostly matches congenital/infantile esotropia which often also has vertical deviations.

Posted Image

Since she would have had this as a filly, Derpy would be used to this in a way. If an adult suddenly had their eyes turn like hers (which happens with thyroid eye disease), they would have double vision and headaches. Derpy likely has very poor depth perception but she does not have double vision. Visual acuity may still be good in each eye if she cross-fixates (meaning she uses her left eye to look right and her right eye to look left).

We have seen doctors in Equestria - where's the pediatric ophthalmologist? :P

I think she may have gotten use to the sight. I mean, it may have been difficult at first, since most people instinctively can comprehend straight vision. But, in the end, it could be beneficial even! I mean, you could probably see more than twice normal eyes can!

I think she may have gotten use to the sight. I mean, it may have been difficult at first, since most people instinctively can comprehend straight vision. But, in the end, it could be beneficial even! I mean, you could probably see more than twice normal eyes can!

Would be nice but cross-fixating does not increase your visual field.