Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Derpy Hooves have got used to her derpy eyes?

Wonka

Umm, dont you realize it's likely only one of her eyes actually work? Thus, her bad eye just dangles, giving the derpy impression, but she can see just fine with her other eye. Must lack some depth perception though.

Anyways, what i'm trying to say its that she's retarded but she sees okay

Umm, dont you realize it's likely only one of her eyes actually work? Thus, her bad eye just dangles, giving the derpy impression, but she can see just fine with her other eye. Must lack some depth perception though.

Anyways, what i'm trying to say its that she's retarded but she sees okay

It all depends on how much she cross-fixates. But you are right, very likely one of the eyes has amblyopia as cross-fixating and using each eye exactly equally is unlikely. You would basically have to test the best corrected vision of each eye separately to find out. And yes, she does lack depth perception - I can guarantee you that.

Posted Image

While amusing, if her derpy eyes were from trauma, poor Derpy would be in big trouble. Such a misalignment from trauma would likely occur after an orbital fracture. Two possibilities - large fracture with displaced orbital fat would eventually lead to enophthalmos or sinking in of the eye or she could have a moderate-sized fracture but with muscle entrapment. If one of the eye muscles gets stuck in a fracture, the tugging would cause unstable blood pressures and the muscle could die off. In the above scenario, Derpy would be getting an orbital CT.

I am pretty confident Derpy is not derpy-eyed from trauma because, like thyroid eye disease, she would then be seeing double and have bad headaches.

While amusing, if her derpy eyes were from trauma, poor Derpy would be in big trouble. Such a misalignment from trauma would likely occur after an orbital fracture. Two possibilities - large fracture with displaced orbital fat would eventually lead to enophthalmos or sinking in of the eye or she could have a moderate-sized fracture but with muscle entrapment. If one of the eye muscles gets stuck in a fracture, the tugging would cause unstable blood pressures and the muscle could die off. In the above scenario, Derpy would be getting an orbital CT.

I am pretty confident Derpy is not derpy-eyed from trauma because, like thyroid eye disease, she would then be seeing double and have bad headaches.

When ever in need ask Dr. Op about accidents indeed. ;)

When ever in need ask Dr. Op about accidents indeed. ;)

Heh, thanks. Truth be told, I am studying for the oral part of the boards so I can become board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. Derpy's eye condition and its differential is helping me study. :D

Heh, thanks. Truth be told, I am studying for the oral part of the boards so I can become board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. Derpy's eye condition and its differential is helping me study. :D

That's pretty cool :) I'm glad Derpy is helping you because she tries to help out in the show, but she doesn't really suceed.

• 3 years later...

I was born with my eyes looking in two different directions as well. I can confirm that you do get used to it, especially when you've had them as long as I have. It does affect my vision, but after a while you learn to sort of "tune out" what you see from one eye, while you focus on what you see with the other. I can control each eye separately, but only one at a time, so when I move one eye to look at something, the other goes off and does whatever it wants to  :derp:

My son has a "lazy" eye. His left eye was turned very slightly inward compared to his right. This was caught by an eye exam. It was not enough to make him look visibly cross-eyed, but it was enough to make the signals to his brain confused because his two eyes weren't in sync.What was happening was that his brain was compensating for the strange signals coming from his left eye by ignoring it entirely. Had it not been caught when it was, he would have had some severe problems with peripheral vision on his left side. It has now been corrected, through a combination of wearing glasses and temporarily wearing a patch over the right eye to force his left to be used and his brain to recognize and use it again with the aid of corrective lenses.

Ditzy Doo is an extreme case. It may be that her vision is seriously impaired, or at the very least, her peripheral vision is shot because one of her eyes focuses more than the other. Hers is so extreme it would probably require surgery if diagnosed in a human.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strabismus