Shiki

Why is no one ever happy?

Recommended Posts

People are selfish and spoiled.

There are children living in fear of rape and murder everynight and yet people here threaten suicide because they fight with one of their elementary school friends.

I'm happy, not because I'm privileged.

I'm happy because I learned to appreciate what I have.

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" I'm feeling OK. :)"

 

As my first status update (yes it took me until parasprite status to even make one), I'm going to put this. Edited by Sugar Plum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm super happy!

 

Smile, smile smile!!

 

I really am very content most of the times. Have some bad times but they don't wreck me or keep me awake at night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you are taking some sort of drug, I don't think anyone is always happy. Well, I guess it all depends on your surroundings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you are taking some sort of drug, I don't think anyone is always happy. Well, I guess it all depends on your surroundings.

 

Yes, I'm on a few drugs. Two of them are called Positivity and Appreciation. It's a wonder I haven't overdosed already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they're happy,but dont want to talk about it all time.Because sometimes it gets annoying.But at the same time.It's not good to talk bad all the time.When I first joined the forum.I tried to talk about my bad problems all the time.Soon I figured out that "No matter what you do.You cant win.So be yourself and do what you like."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are selfish and spoiled.

There are children living in fear of rape and murder everynight and yet people here threaten suicide because they fight with one of their elementary school friends.

I'm happy, not because I'm privileged.

I'm happy because I learned to appreciate what I have.

~

 

I'm going to have to disagree with you.

 

> People are selfish and spoiled

 

Some people are, perhaps... But what people do you mean? Americans in general? The middle class of the world in general? Some people experience depression due to multiple troubles in their lives... Some have a medical condition. I don't think it's fair to say they're "selfish" for feeling sad, nor " spoiled" because they were born into privilege at the luck of the draw.

 

> there are children ... Rape and murder ... suicide ... Elementary school friend

 

Okay, of course this is an exaggeration, used for the effect to further your point. But suicide isn't something as simple as "oh, I'm gonna kill myself today! I'll tell you how it went at breakfast." It's an incredibly serious matter and those even considering it as an option aren't in a sound state of mind, and are driven mostly by depression rather than trying to get people to feel sorry for them.

 

I mean, really, is it a contest to see "who has it worse"? Someone's upset; so what if someone else "is worse off", that doesn't make the other person's life any better. It's best to help everyone out with their problems the best you can, because who knows -- someone's issue that they brought forth publicly may be sugarcoated to seem less embarrassing, or may have other issues hidden behind it. It's best to not judge the level of someone's sorrow, but rather share the contagion of happiness.

 

> I'm not happy because I'm privileged

 

Agreed, there are more important things in life ...

 

> I'm happy because I've learned to appreciate what I have

 

... like this. Agreed again.

 

However, I feel your over-generalization of those making status updates around here, being selfish, bratty, or inconsiderate is rather unfair. There are tons of members here with what you would consider "real" issues -- I've seen threads talking about physical abuse, harsh bullying, rape (yes), attempted murder (yes), and more than once in each category.

 

Anecdote time.

 

I met a current semi-friend on the Internet over two years ago on a forums site, where he had been the main admin, and the founder for over 8 years. Outwardly, he seemed like a silly, slightly immature (to the point of abusing the "The Game" joke over, and over and over) mid-20's dude with a tendency to complain now and then about why he hated his job at a supermarket, and that he considered suicide multiple times.

 

Sounds super-lame, right?

 

It wasn't until I had chats with him one-on-one when I found out how he lived. Let's just say, this was the loneliest, most verbally abused person I had met up until that point, and even until now. He had attempted suicide after another terrible jeering at his work that when described word for word, made me realize that it would have been a factor for me had I been in his shoes. And on top of all of that, multiple clinical conditions related to depression, anger management issues, etc.

 

No, we was never raped. No, we wasn't in fear of being murdered. But he still in a tight spot, and had every right to feel unhappy. And you wouldn't know it from hearing his complaints in public -- who would embarrass themselves by going down such a long, depressing list?

 

In short, I see what you're saying -- but over generalizations are not considerate to those who may only show some reasons for their sadness in public.

 

Let's all be good neighbors and show sympathy to everyone in need of comfort without judgement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to have to disagree with you.

 

> People are selfish and spoiled

 

Some people are, perhaps... But what people do you mean? Americans in general? The middle class of the world in general? Some people experience depression due to multiple troubles in their lives... Some have a medical condition. I don't think it's fair to say they're "selfish" for feeling sad, nor " spoiled" because they were born into privilege at the luck of the draw.

 

> there are children ... Rape and murder ... suicide ... Elementary school friend

 

Okay, of course this is an exaggeration, used for the effect to further your point. But suicide isn't something as simple as "oh, I'm gonna kill myself today! I'll tell you how it went at breakfast." It's an incredibly serious matter and those even considering it as an option aren't in a sound state of mind, and are driven mostly by depression rather than trying to get people to feel sorry for them.

 

I mean, really, is it a contest to see "who has it worse"? Someone's upset; so what if someone else "is worse off", that doesn't make the other person's life any better. It's best to help everyone out with their problems the best you can, because who knows -- someone's issue that they brought forth publicly may be sugarcoated to seem less embarrassing, or may have other issues hidden behind it. It's best to not judge the level of someone's sorrow, but rather share the contagion of happiness.

 

> I'm not happy because I'm privileged

 

Agreed, there are more important things in life ...

 

> I'm happy because I've learned to appreciate what I have

 

... like this. Agreed again.

 

However, I feel your over-generalization of those making status updates around here, being selfish, bratty, or inconsiderate is rather unfair. There are tons of members here with what you would consider "real" issues -- I've seen threads talking about physical abuse, harsh bullying, rape (yes), attempted murder (yes), and more than once in each category.

 

Anecdote time.

 

I met a current semi-friend on the Internet over two years ago on a forums site, where he had been the main admin, and the founder for over 8 years. Outwardly, he seemed like a silly, slightly immature (to the point of abusing the "The Game" joke over, and over and over) mid-20's dude with a tendency to complain now and then about why he hated his job at a supermarket, and that he considered suicide multiple times.

 

Sounds super-lame, right?

 

It wasn't until I had chats with him one-on-one when I found out how he lived. Let's just say, this was the loneliest, most verbally abused person I had met up until that point, and even until now. He had attempted suicide after another terrible jeering at his work that when described word for word, made me realize that it would have been a factor for me had I been in his shoes. And on top of all of that, multiple clinical conditions related to depression, anger management issues, etc.

 

No, we was never raped. No, we wasn't in fear of being murdered. But he still in a tight spot, and had every right to feel unhappy. And you wouldn't know it from hearing his complaints in public -- who would embarrass themselves by going down such a long, depressing list?

 

In short, I see what you're saying -- but over generalizations are not considerate to those who may only show some reasons for their sadness in public.

 

Let's all be good neighbors and show sympathy to everyone in need of comfort without judgement.

 

1. Human beings are selfish by nature, it's a survival instinct. That's not to say humans can't have acts of non-selfish behaviour, but being kind to others and loving others benefits ourselves too. Perspective.

The spoiled was more directed to people who make "I'm so depressed statuses". Usually the non-spoiled don't have a computer or the leisure time to make forums updates.

 

2. A hyperbole yes, but not too far from the truth sadly. I've seen statuses and thread similar to that example. Nowdays saying "I'm going to kill myself" for attention, and the truly depressed people are quiet and just end their life in silence.

It's not a contest, but I think if we stepped back once in a while and looked at the world around us, we'd realize our 'problems' aren't as bad as we make them out to be.

 

3. Life happens and it's not fair. There's still no reason to bring about negativity into stranger's lives, go see a professional.

There's a fine line between asking for support/advice then what a lot of people here do. I guess I just frown upon whining and celebrate self-betterment and being proactive. Different strokes for different folks.

 

4. Happiness is a choice.

 

~

 

I'd say more, but that about sums it up and I have something on the stove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People don't like sitting in front of a computer all day, where an immeasurable amount of information and entertainment sits, waiting for people to view it? That's silly! Sitting in front of a computer all day is the only thing I really want to do.

Posted Image

 

I completely agree. I just wish my parents would :/ They always say that i need to go outside and stop wasting my life away by just talking to people that you don't even know in real life.But i think that being able to have fun, play and socialize without leaving you bedroom or office amazing. Well i guess that makes me happy and that's what I'm going to do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

people usually are affected by negative emotions more strongly and thus are more likely to voice them out than positive ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

When you work a job you hate knowing it's only going to get worse, you have no reason to be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

It's easy to dwell on the bad things because it takes no effort or discipline to find them. Bad things often glare at us and have a tendency to stick. Good things can be just as powerful (often vastly more so) and just as numerous. The only thing is that finding the good sometimes takes more effort and isn't always recognized when it shows up. Bad things are easy and it's sometimes therapeutic to talk about them (or just complain). That's why there are so many posts about them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Well it's not like happy people would complain about their lives or turn their status into a diary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lack of happiness doesn't always equate to being unhappy. It's just being emotionally level. People take good things for granted sometimes because they are blessed with things they don't have to think about. The whole point is to not have to think about things we need. When we need or want something, it's more apparent because it's easier to note something that isn't there as opposed to something that is. It doesn't mean it's all about unhappiness, it's just filling in the blanks of what remains to be gained in life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nopony can always just be "happy," There are always hard and tough times, even Pinkie cries sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that needs to be said here is this: Why should everyone always be happy? Because I'm left to think that the OP is asking why unhappy people exist. After all, if that question was meant literally they'd have clearly had no experience with the real world... Seriously, I hardly leave home and I know better than to say nobody is happy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand exactly what you mean. I am, for the most part, a very optimistic person, and it kind of irks me when I see people anywhere, not just here on the forums, getting angry and/or sad about literally everything. Now, hear me out here, I understand people may have real genuine problems irl that are the cause of their unhappiness, and I understand that too. But the thing that really gets on my nerves, is that, some particular people who are never happy can vent and rant all their unhappiness, but yet, if the people like me who may talk about why they're so happy and all, we get made fun of for it, or "I don't wanna hear how great life is for you.". :yeahno: I don't know, just, in this day and age, it just seems like this generation is making being unhappy and depressed and wanting to die and hating life and getting easily offended and being unappreciative of what you have out to be a good thing. It's like, a trend. 

But, you know, that's just my rant. Take it how you will. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

This thread in itself is depressing, mainly because of the amount of shaming towards the unhappy is going on here. Just because someone is happy all the time, or rather they are lucky enough to be so, doesn't make them any better than someone suffering from different problems. Everyone is different and the human brain is a thing of immense complexity and thus it has a tendency to have a lot of problems.

We also live in a world now that actively fuels things like depression and anxiety at every turn. Sure, people way back when may have had it a lot rougher due to lack of the conveniences and advancements we have now, but back then, simply managing to stay alive and keep yourself afloat was worthy of admiration. These days, nobody gives two fucks about that. Nowadays, if you are not making at minimum a 6 figure annual salary, nobody cares about what you do. Most people are too busy worshiping celebrities or themselves to care. We are at the point where people in the US constantly do job shaming. That's how low things have gotten. If someone works at a fast food restaurant, then they are given absolutely no respect by the general public. So it is a constant pressure of having to go for bigger and "better" things. Not because the person wants it, but because of a constantly embedded expectation from society, because money and status is all that matters now. The world has what, easily 7+billion people? The realization that one is most likely destined to just be one of the underlings of the world isn't the most uplifting thing and a lot of us are destined for that exact thing.

Top all of that shit on with the many, many problems this world has and yeah, it is pretty depressing. Medical debt, poverty, the many different societal crisis' that are getting worse every day, massive income inequality and a government system that exists to exploit the common people. Now mix in the possibility for mental illness and surrounding factors and it isn't that difficult to see why depression is so rampant in this world. People often express their problems a lot on the internet because it is a great place to do so. It is a place where thoughts can be dumped for people to see, because other than that most people don't really care. Just look at the reactions of people when a school shooting happens and you will learn really quickly that most people couldn't care less about the mental well being of their fellow man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

First off, most importantly I believe since we're using an online website, social conformity and stress because of online identity is a real issue. 

I know this is obviously not the overarching reason why these people are upset, so I propose a different resolution. 

People like venting online (myself included, sometimes). So, it's very possible that not as many people are "sad" as you think, but just in need to share their feelings or in a moment of temporary crisis. 

These people will be the ones that catch the attention of most people, therefore allowing you to believe a large portion of MLP Forums users are sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because we take things for granted  way too often. 

Edited by TBD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

It's not necessarily a choice to just be happy, nor is it as simple as "Person X is happy because they have more good things in their life than bad things." The word means something different to each of us and I pray that everyone manages to achieve their own version of happiness.

We can all do something to help, no matter how small - if nothing else, just try to understand what makes an individual unhappy and exactly why it does so. Then you can go a step further and discover what makes that person happy. I find that doing this has a positive effect on my own happiness, so it's win-win :proud:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

What are you talking about I’m happy all the time and most of  my friends are to. There’s just a few people out there that aren’t happy because either they choose not to be or they are going through something tough in their life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Because I choose not to be happy. Am I satisfied with what I’m given to work with throughout my daily life? Yes. But, I don’t want these emotions to control me especially when emotions cloud your judgement and ability to reason. I want to control my emotions, not the other way around. Depression which has been crippling my mental health and well-being. My mind at this point, has developed a level of averseness towards all kinds of emotions I have as a Human Being deeming them purely trivial. I don’t want to feel any sense of emotion the more I grow up and beyond, especially when it often feels like I have little to no control over them.

So I just do my best to achieve a state where I feel nothing. I feel nothing. I am nothing and am satisfied. Though to be fair I am open to hear if there are other ways Human Beings can control their own emotions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

What was it Agent Smith said in The Matrix?

Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. 

 

That stuck with me, because I note how even when we have everything, or we should be happy, we still look for things to be unhappy about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even know what being genuinely happy really is. I tend not to talk much about it, but some of us do have a legitimate reason for all the existential misery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.