Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Cadance is Celestia's niece?

Door

On the back of the Royal Wedding DVD, they refer to Cadance as Princess Celestia's niece.

Niece = sister's child

So.... who was Luna getting busy with?!

Prince Blueblood is also Celestia's nephew. Perhaps they're siblings, but Prince Blueblood isn't an alicorn, although this new "Princess Skyla" is and if she really is Cadance's child, this implies that alicornism is a female trait exclusively...

Edited by Door

As Lauren Faust said, the character is a distant niece.. Around the same distance as Blue Blood. On that note, she was also originally designed as a Unicorn but due to marketing she became an Alicorn.

Oh, Faust had said that? I'd never heard it before. derp. :blush:

honestly, just 1.... JUST 1 male alicorn and the whole universe will make some sense to me. Even traits that would be exclusively female could mutate for a male royal.... not only that but this is magic we are talking about here... I can't accept the fact there isn't at least 1.... just 1 male alicorn... even if it is by mistake by magic or something.

My head cannon says that one of her parents was a Unicorn, the other a Pegasus. Somehow, Cadence got both wings and horns and thus, was an Alicorn. When Celestia learnt this, she took her as her own niece.

The whole thing about Blueblood was explained by Faust. He is essentially a Duke, but they thought that kids might not understand what that was, so they called him 'Prince'.

I'd imagine it is similar with Cadence, or Celestia has distant relatives.

honestly, just 1.... JUST 1 male alicorn and the whole universe will make some sense to me. Even traits that would be exclusively female could mutate for a male royal.... not only that but this is magic we are talking about here... I can't accept the fact there isn't at least 1.... just 1 male alicorn... even if it is by mistake by magic or something.

It's entirely genetically possible that we haven't seen a male alicorn yet. Tortoiseshell cats are exclusively female and gingers are almost exclusively male. The same way colorblindness is MOSTLY in males. Some alleles just work that way.

BUT I would love to see a male ali, too.

• Brohoof 1

You really think a Royal Goddess ruling for 2000 years wouldn't have made some partners along the way? "Niece" is a pretty simple way of describing what your daughter's daughter's son's cousin's daughter was, if we want to really get into it.

Just think any Royal Family. There's a lot of people in one, but only a few are really known. Perhaps Cadence was just important for some reason or other?

I also want to see at least one male alicorn. Maybe he'll appear in Season 3, we do not know for a fact yet. Maybe they are saving certain things for future episodes. *shrugs*

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

You have to earn the right to be an alicorn according to the comics and the episode where twilight got her wings and new title shows us that except  Luna and Celestia were originally supposed to be the only alicorns. For relationship status, here's what I think. One of my moms boyfriends from the past had a daughter. When my friends asked me who she was, I replied with "My mom's boyfriends daughter". that's fairly annoying to say since in a way she was a sister, and sister is much easier to say. My guess is that Cadence is really celestia and Luna's great great great great something something niece that is  distantly related and they call her their niece to make things easier. Their bloodvline probably goes back before the royal sisters existed

Edited by SharpWit

If you think books are canon, the Crystal Heart Spell says Cadence was a Pegasus orphan and raised by Earth ponies. She became an Alicorn Princess by having a dense understanding of love and using it to stop an evil character. After this Celestia adopted her as her niece.

So this all means that Twilight is related by marriage to Celestia and Luna. Of course Cadence is her sister-in-law.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

It's entirely genetically possible that we haven't seen a male alicorn yet. Tortoiseshell cats are exclusively female and gingers are almost exclusively male. The same way colorblindness is MOSTLY in males. Some alleles just work that way.

BUT I would love to see a male ali, too.

We've been shown that alicorns are made through a process of magic(ascension), not born, so genetics are probably irrelevant to alicornhood. As long as it's a pony, alicornhood should be possible, if it's earned and awarded of course.

Anyway, I have no doubt that a male alicorn could be made, but due to the fact that little girls usually like pretty princesses more, it just hasn't been added to the show yet.

• 6 years later...
On 12/13/2013 at 8:56 AM, Nature's Spell said:

If you think books are canon, the Crystal Heart Spell says Cadence was a Pegasus orphan and raised by Earth ponies. She became an Alicorn Princess by having a dense understanding of love and using it to stop an evil character. After this Celestia adopted her as her niece.

So this all means that Twilight is related by marriage to Celestia and Luna. Of course Cadence is her sister-in-law.

So does this mean that Twilight and Celestia are canonically related? This means that Twilestia, as well as Twiluna are incest ships? Just curious.

On 8/9/2012 at 3:03 AM, FedoraMemes said:

The whole thing about Blueblood was explained by Faust. He is essentially a Duke, but they thought that kids might not understand what that was, so they called him 'Prince'.

That is rather dumb of them to do that honestly.
Now all that did is confuse some fans on how Blueblood is related to Celestia there.

On 12/13/2013 at 11:24 PM, JonPear said:

You can't really trust anything that's printed on any of Hasbro's merchandise to be authoritative or even accurate:

ix63LfZ.jpg

. . . case in point

Well that's.. certainly a bizarre thing to read.
What was that in?