50 users have voted

1. 1. Which language should we choose?

• English
    • Japanese
    • Sign Language
    • Brail
    • Binary
    • A new complete language
  2. 2. Was English hard to learn (non-native speakers)

• Yes
    • No

The purpose of a language is to communicate. Yet there are so many different languages out there, that it's actually made it harder for us to communicate. So what if we just had a global language? Just one language everyone agreed was the official language for everyone to use. It just makes everything a bit easier.

There are two problems though

• Choice of language

• The Culture in a language
This is probably the biggest problem. Should everyone learn English or Mandarin? Maybe internet speak? Maybe a whole new language?

No idea. What language do you think we should have if you're in support of a universal language?

The culture thing is something I have worked out though. Store and save it. If someone wants to learn about a culture, let them access and study the culture's language. Even still, the actual culture of a country still exists within the country. It's not really lost. And words that are specific to a language could be considered a dialect. With the new words not going too far off the main language.

Edit: I only included Braille, sign language and Binary because I am writing down all the options that was given to me by all the various posts. Indeed, I know that you can't use binary practically, but I thought you might as well include it. Just to be fair. Really, any would be good as long as it was simple to learn.

I might start a poll to see how hard it was to learn English, for non-native speakers.

Edited by Bronium

ENGLISH WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR FUTURAMA IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE WORLD

I would think that a world standard language would have to be something that's easy to learn, and from what I understand, English is not easy to learn for non-native speakers. We have all sorts of weird rules and changes in pronunciation depending on context.

• Brohoof 1

We should make up a new language. Eventually, everyone will learn to use it if everyone agrees to start using it in print. Once the people of the world learn it and can read and speak it, then we can remove the old language. It should be like a mix of languages.

there are global languages that can be used by everyone but they are just not thought of at first.

There's

bral

sign language

binary

that all i know at the moment

How could I not reference the Babelfish? Honestly though, I don't think the language barrier will last for much longer with the progression of technology. Technology will adapt to us rather than us having to adapt to the language.

Edited by Celtore

While it would be wonderful I'm not sure it could actually work. You would probably end up with different dialects across the world making it just as hard to understand one another.

• Brohoof 1

How could I not reference the Babelfish? Honestly though, I don't think the language barrier will last for much longer with the progression of technology. Technology will adapt to us rather than us having to adapt to the language.

that unlikely because of several groups and calture of the proud people that don't move with the advasments of technology.

I believe that most of the world might divide among two or three different civilizations, meaning 3 main languages, but the Universal language right now is actually Engrish. English is the hardest to learn besides Chinese, but it's used a lot for buisness and even taught in schools around the world like Japan, Germany, etc. It might be because U.S.A is the world Super power, but I have to say speaking a sentence in English is much quicker than speaking it in most other languages. :huh: I don't want all people to have the same language because I love the dveresity in the world and Humanity as a whole actually, but it'd be nice if we had a very complex, fast, quick to learn language that gives writing and speaking a much more expressful touch in vocal interaction.

Edited by Trollestia-IV

that unlikely because of several groups and calture of the proud people that don't move with the advasments of technology.

I can understand that, but with all honesty, Id think it would contribute a lot less of a cultural shock as making them pick up a new language rather than their cultural one. I would think cultures that proud would be left behind either way.

Edited by Celtore

If we had to pick one universal language, I'd say English.

It's already one of, if not THE most widely spoken language in the world.

America is already a very influential country in a lot of the world.

I can't speak for how easy it is to learn, since I've been speaking it my entire life.

Or maybe, maybe, Greek.

I dunno, I just really like the way it sounds.

...maybe that's just 'cause I've been stuck with it for the past two years.

Edited by TessHM

Binary code. Have chips implanted in our skull so we wirelessly transmit binary through our heads to communicate.

Or we should stick with English. Mandarin is not going work because it has too many complicated symbols for most of us Westerners to learn easily.

• Brohoof 2

there are global languages that can be used by everyone but they are just not thought of at first.

There's

bral

sign language

binary

that all i know at the moment

How would one speak with sign language on, say, the internet or radio? It's a terribly unpoetic language too, and would make communication via telephone and pretty much anything electronic very, very difficult.

How would one speak with sign language on, say, the internet or radio? It's a terribly unpoetic language too, and would make communication via telephone and pretty much anything electronic very, very difficult.

Im just giving it as an examlpe of a globle language not accepting it as the perfect sulution to the problem realy none of them work all that well at all but there what we got at the time and you can't just leave the people that have to use those languages out if it's to be a true global language. I probubly should have worded that post better then I did.
  • Brohoof 1

Why the heck should someone voted the binary? Do you really want to make the entire world speaks in 1's and 0's?

The best solution is English in my opinion. Why? Because if you know your worth and actually is useful for the world, you must at least understand how to greet in English.

It's easier to force the non-English speaker to learn English rather than trying to teach the whole world a new language

@@Sakamoto,

Binary is so perfect. You get get misinterpreted.

Knowing English isn't a prerequisite for greatness man. There are tonnes of smart, successful people who don't speak English as their first language.

Also, I've actually heard it's hard to learn English. as a non-english speaker.

Binary is so perfect. You get get misinterpreted.

My question: can you speak in binary everytime you have to speak with someone overseas?

Can you speak in a fluent binary when you want to make a multi-national trade?

Can you?

Binary code. Have chips implanted in our skull so we wirelessly transmit binary through our heads to communicate.

Or we should stick with English. Mandarin is not going work because it has too many complicated symbols for most of us Westerners to learn easily.

Even though Mandarin is spoken by likely nearly 1 billion people, all of which happen to also live in China, so it is useful when in China, not so useful outside of it.

English is a relatively simple language with a simple alphabet yet a great many linguistic nuances sometimes not found in similar languages. it is most definitely a very good choice to begin with.

@@Bronium, As a non native English speaking person, I can deny the accusation that English is in the realm of more difficult languages. it is easier then French, German and Dutch as far as I can tell. I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

I would also add that English is widely used within scientific circles, something which matters. Pretty much any respectable paper will be written in English.

Edited by Tich
  • Brohoof 1

Wut? Binary... is not a language... It's like saying decimal is language or that numbers are language. LET'S ALL SPEAK LETTERS, SO THAT WE UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER, OK?

Anyway, this global language you're looking for... Is English. -_-

And since Americans have no reason to learn Esperanto, it'll stay this way.

• Brohoof 1

As much as i'd love to use binary as a language, our human brain will never be able to say a long line of 1s and 0s and make out any meaning or emotion in the time the brain needs to respond for an actual conservation, the brain would be WAY too slow to process the information and make a response, even in 50,000 years it'll still take time.

Wut? Binary... is not a language... It's like saying decimal is language or that numbers are language. LET'S ALL SPEAK LETTERS, SO THAT WE UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER, OK?

Anyway, this global language you're looking for... Is English. -_-

And since Americans have no reason to learn Esperanto, it'll stay this way.

Its the language computers speak FYI.

I'm going to have to say English. Unless we become a civilization of AIs. Then binary all the way.

Ok let´s get real.

English already IS kinda global language and I´d stay with this. It´s easy and tell me, how many of you know english (everypony I guess) and how many know japanese... I personally know only 2 people who speak fluently japanese, my schoolmate and a japanese girl who lives in here to study czech. By the way, I heard in the future everypony will learn chinese. It sux.

But I´m against the globalization. I love my language and I don´t care almost everything sounds better in english. :wub:

As much as i'd love to use binary as a language, our human brain will never be able to say a long line of 1s and 0s and make out any meaning or emotion in the time the brain needs to respond for an actual conservation, the brain would be WAY too slow to process the information and make a response, even in 50,000 years it'll still take time.Its the language computers speak FYI.

I'm going to have to say English. Unless we become a civilization of AIs. Then binary all the way.

Dude, I... Ok, wait a second till I regenerate my love and tolerance forcefield.

Ok.

Binary is a form of writing down information. It has the least space for error, because it only has 2 possible states-0 and 1.

Saying it's the "language computers speak" is making things a bit TOO SIMPLE. I believe I know enough about how microprocessors work to know what I'm saying. You are, with all due respect, mixing stuff together. Binary is just the way of writing down numbers.

For instance-1 is 1 in binary, 2 is 10, 3 is 11, 4 is 100 and so on. Every digit one more space to the left has twice the value of digit before, basically. The way processors work, to simple it down a lot, is they have this one language, called assembler. There are specific commands in assembler-such as-load from memory, compare numbers and skip to program line, save to memory, add, subtract... Simple stuff. And this is done in order to make cpus programmable, because you can throw all those commands into memory and everything else-that is among other things-aritmetic-logical unit and assembler interpretor can be hardwired. Off course, assembler commands are stored in binary form in memory, but in fact, they can be seen as numbers.

If you're talking about how computer parts talk to each other-well, there are INCREDIBLE amounts of different protocols. It's not like you can connect harddrive to mouse slot and it'll work -_- Off course, there are similarities, every protocol needs to have clock and data line of some sort, for instance, but that's about it.

To sum it up, binary is not a language and this post isn't off topic.

• Brohoof 1

@@thegoodhen, True, binary does represent Computer processor instructions, but it can also represent something called text. And you know what we use to communicate over the forums? text.