50 users have voted

1. 1. Which language should we choose?

• English
    • Japanese
    • Sign Language
    • Brail
    • Binary
    • A new complete language
  2. 2. Was English hard to learn (non-native speakers)

• Yes
    • No

I'm all against the concept of a global language. Sure, it MIGHT make things easier for businesses/trading, but really, languages are what make each culture/country their own individual image. It defines their personality, and it's a prideful thing to teach to others who are native to that country.

I hate it when people say that immigrants who come here must learn how to speak English. Yet, states like New Mexico and Texas have a high rate of Spanish-speaking citizens. Why not just learn Spanish instead of trying to assimilate to one language that not everybody can grasp? What makes English so special? The USA was conceived for the idea of a melting pot. Well, a melting pot is not dominated by English, not is it? It takes different cultures to make a delicious stew.

Spanish is actually a very simple language when put next to English, and the fact that every word is spelled phonetically is fantastic. French, on the other hand, is (IMO) just as annoying as English, only with even more weird situational tenses and phonetic ambiguity.

But English is still probably the safest bet due to how widespread it's become.

Edited by Pony Joe

How the flying feather do you speak binary irl? Do you say each number in your mother language? That kinda defeats the purpose even if the entire humankind could understand binary instinctually.

"Hey George! How is your day?" turns into this monstrosity

01001000 01100101 01111001 00100000 01100111 01100101 01101111 01110010 01100111 01100101 00100001 00100000 01001000 01101111 01110111 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01100100 01100001 01111001 00111111

What

I vote english

• Brohoof 2

The creation of a global language has been tried before and failed miserably ( I can't remember the name of it right now). Langauge is ever evolving, even if we went about at this it would never take off, there are over 7,000 languages spoken in the world, those are the ones that are accounted for anyways, their are many more linguists haven't been able to document or have died out. Every language that exists has many dialects dependent on the region the language is spoken in, not all of English is the same, it varies region to region as does Japense, German, Spanish, etc. The varients in culutre and region would morph into its own unique dialects and eventually distinct languages again. Having so many languages can make communication difficult but it is also very beautiful as well, that there are so many rich and different cultures in the world and that the language used by those people give you an insight into their lives and culture

I'm a native English speaker, so naturally I would want to throw my vote at that.

I really think English - despite its strange rules - is likely very easy to learn.

I had a few friends from various other countries throughout my school life, and they learned English fairly fast, but I guess that's because they got thrown into the deep end by needing to learn the language in order to properly live and communicate in England.

I spoke French as a second language for about 2 years because my granddad is a native Frenchman, and I honestly think English flows so much better in a conversation.

Depends on what branch of the language family tree your native language comes from, English is actually a very complex and confusing.language to learn for many non native speakers, do to irregular rules and grammar exceptions. Age also plays a role in language acquisiton, children have an easier time becoming multi lingual versus teenagers and adults. It has to do with the development of the brain. Mandarin Chinese is hard for English speakers to learn because they share no history and exists on different language trees. A Spanish speaker has an easier time learning Italian, Porteguese and Romanian because they are all "romantic" languages. English speakers would have a slightly easier time learning German because our language is decendent from German.