Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What makes where you live famous?

Lost

President stealing a pen...

Posted Image

And about my town...

My town is known as a "town of a good vine" (it lays in a vinary area). For a long time, it was the center of the South Moravian viticulture, but in the turn of 19th & 20th century the viticulture highly dropped because of the fungal sicknesses and pest outbreaks.

About 2o ooo-25 ooo years ago, there was a regular presence of the mamooth hunters (back up - neolitic settlements). The renewing in the 20th century was interrupted by the 2nd World War. In continued after the War and now it´s again a great vinary area along with its neighborhood.

The skyline was dominated by the ghotic St. Wenceslaus church, but its 74 m high steeple collapsed in 1961, which damaged the structure greatly, and in 1962 the goverment ordered to torn it down. It was replaced with a new futuristic church, which steeple is 47 m high (52 m including its cross).

Posted Image

(the new church, designed by L. Kolka).

There are also other sights - Jewish cemetery, a house of the 1st Czechoskovalia president, Middle ages walls..

• 5 years later...

My city is the capital city of Washington State! We are famous for coffee brewery's, Parades, friendly to LGBT people, a place called Ship Wreaked Beads, our children's museum and our strange but lovely community. :)  

• Brohoof 1

The little hodunk town I live near (I live outside of city limits) has a somewhat famous brand of off-brand beer that's named after it (that's also brewed here).

Edited by Nerdy Luigi
I was being inaccurate describing the little town of _____.
  • Brohoof 1

I live in the beautiful commonwealth of Virginia... yes it is a commonwealth, not a state hehe.

Virginia is famous for lots of things... for example, Virginia was the first state. More presidents have been born in Virginia than any other state. And it is a political swing State... making it politically diverse. I choose to live In Virginia after careful consideration... I would never live anywhere else it is AMAZING.

36 minutes ago, PuddingPonyPal said:

My city is the capital city of Washington State! We are famous for coffee brewery's, Parades, friendly to LGBT people, a place called Ship Wreaked Beads, our children's museum and our strange but lovely community.

And recently weed!! XD

Edited by FlitterFlutter
  • Brohoof 1

What makes the state of Colorado Famous? Well... I can let you judge that one...

The main thing WAS just the mountains, Skiing, and fishing and stuff like that, going on top of those 14,000 high in elevation mountains, that was the main thing Colorado was famous for. And South Park I would say... A hit TV show (that in my opinion isn't a good show at all really) that takes place in Colorado, the town is based off of Fairplay, a town and county seat in the county I actually lived in for 12 years of my life..

But now since the weed stuff got legal state wise (federal law still makes it illegal though) everyone for some reason wants to move here JUST BECAUSE OF THAT! I'm fine with people moving here, but moving just cause of weed and because it was like the first state? It's meh.. There are better things about this state than Weed people... But oh well.. People and their drugs, they always need to be impaired in some way... Heh

So yeah, there ya go.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Lil'Cinnamon said:

What makes the state of Colorado Famous? Well... I can let you judge that one...

The main thing WAS just the mountains, Skiing, and fishing and stuff like that, going on top of those 14,000 high in elevation mountains, that was the main thing Colorado was famous for. And South Park I would say... A hit TV show (that in my opinion isn't a good show at all really) that takes place in Colorado, the town is based off of Fairplay, a town and county seat in the county I actually lived in for 12 years of my life..

But now since the weed stuff got legal state wise (federal law still makes it illegal though) everyone for some reason wants to move here JUST BECAUSE OF THAT! I'm fine with people moving here, but moving just cause of weed and because it was like the first state? It's meh.. There are better things about this state than Weed people... But oh well.. People and their drugs, they always need to be impaired in some way... Heh

So yeah, there ya go.

I have a nostalgic fondness for Colorado because a couple of times during my childhood my family loaded up on a car trip and drove up there from Texas.

Camping out in worrisome motels, stopping for picnics, getting tremendously car sick, and seeing snow for the first time in my life is what I know Colorado for.

We rented skis. I got lost on the slopes for an entire day and they had to send out search parties for me.

it was a good time.

My hometown was known as "the first place in the world where the Third Reich was defeated" - while the original source for that quote is gone (when I googled the quote, I only found it in a forum post that linked to the original source), you can read the story about it here.

Also, it's the only "Southbury" in the US.

uhhhh not much apart from its History and Cricket I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taunton 

Our castle is where the Bloody Assizes happened -  a massacre of men during the (English) Civil War. I think the only time we've ever been on TV is for Ghost hunting shows and Time Team. Our Museum, Castle, Tudor Pub, a few old asylums and shops are all haunted. And I can vouch for that. Taunton is a very old town. 

We also are home to Somerset County Cricket ground, which hosts a lot of national and a few international cricket games. The town gets packed when theres a match on! 

AH! Just remembered - 18th Century Poets. Taunton is surrounded by hills and poets Coleridge and Tennyson used to live in the Quantock Hills here. Taunton would have been their nearest town at the time. Wordsworth also came to visit them often. 

Just over the Quantocks is Hinkely Point Power Plant - one of our most massive power plants in the country.  

And now picking at straws here, West Somerset Railway, nearby and I go to often, is the setting and main feature for the Beatles' film A Hard Day's Night. Majority of it is filmed over here. 

Also in Somerset (the County im in) we're famous for Hot Fuzz. Its all filmed in a small town called Wells, not too far from here. 

East Bergholt is most famous for two reasons. Firstly, for having (what is believed to be) the only working bell cage in the country, as the Church's bells were relocated while the tower was reconstructed, only to have them be left there since the mid 1500's. Secondly, for being the birthplace of one of the UK's most celebrated artists, John Constable. He created many of his most famous paintings around the local area and the surrounding villages, and had his workshop next to where the Post Office is. Flatford Mill, the sight of The Haywain (arguably Constable's most famous piece) is only a 10 - 15 minute walk from my house. I feel blessed to live in this part of the countryside, and having the Constable link makes it ever more awesome, as

• Brohoof 1

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Techno Universal said:

Well my city is the beautiful city of Melbourne in Australia! We're highly famous for our post modernism art that's all around the city and we're world's most liveable city! :)

Lol no, the capital of the country I live in, Vienna takes that place. I honestly don't know why, because I don't really like Vienna tbh, but......that's probably one thing that makes it famous.

4 minutes ago, Br O N Y said:

Lol no, the capital of the country I live in, Vienna takes that place. I honestly don't know why, because I don't really like Vienna tbh, but......that's probably one thing that makes it famous.

Yeah but we're still one of the most universal cities in the world in terms of multiculturalism and facilities! :) 

5 minutes ago, Techno Universal said:

Yeah but we're still one of the most universal cities in the world in terms of multiculturalism and facilities! :) 

Well, Melbourne seems like a nice city, I never was there tho.