Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What makes where you live famous?

Lost

San Jose has a long history, being originally settled by the Ohlone tribe before California was colonized by the Spaniards who later forcibly put Native Americans into missions to convert them into Christianity. Mission Santa Clara de Asís is one of them (which is actually in neighboring Santa Clara, but was in San Jose before it burned down multiple times). Today it serves as the chapel of Santa Clara University, which is also one of the oldest universities in California. 

San Jose went through Mexican and now American rule, and during the Cold War, it shifted from agriculture toward the military industry, which then allowed companies like Intel, Hewlett-Packard, and IBM to repurpose military technology for civilian use. The invention of the transistor enabled those companies to also build far faster and miniaturized computers, which started a tech doom that has turned most of the South Bay into what we call the “Silicon Valley” today.  

We also have a ton of foreigners (mostly Chinese, Korean, Indian, and Hispanic) who tend to be professional tech workers and it is also unaffordable as hell to live here. By unaffordable I mean that the average rent here is $2700/month and the average house price is almost a million. 

Oh, and we have a Japantown. No Chinatown though, you have to go to San Francisco for that. 

(edited)
5 hours ago, Booker said:

Roanoke is called "Star City" because we have the world's largest illuminated free-standing star.

Roanoke-Star.thumb.jpg.3362597aa42046209187460e98380517.jpg

It's not amazing, but it's something.

If you know a little bit about Roanoke, it's a lot more interesting than just a free-standing star as it was also instrumental the Confederacy during the American Civil War, along with the merger of the Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio Railroad under William Mahone, an ex-Confederate general turned railroad executive, after the war. Due the the 1873 Panic, however, it was closed and merged into Norfolk and Western (which was based in Roanoke until 1982, when they merged with the Southern Railway), which today is Norfolk Southern, one of the largest freight train corporations in East Coast. Unfortunately, the newly merged Norfolk Southern relocated to Norfolk, which left Roanoke in the dust. Along with the decline of the coal industry, the city started bleeding its population until the 21st century. 

It can be said that Roanoke was founded and built by the railroad. Recently, Amtrak service has returned to the city, and the city has been making a comeback, with people returning back to the city and the downtown experiencing revitalization. 

Also, Roanoke had a vibrant black community, Gainesboro, in the early 20th century. Sadly, the I-581 was built in the 50s right through the neighborhood as part of an "urban renewal" project, which effectively gutted the neighborhood. Only a small portion of it on Henry Street still survives to this day. 

Edited by Anneal

• 1 month later...

The nearby city of Denver and the Rocky Mountains, with all they have to offer. My hometown is just another suburb so it isn't well-known by any stretch.

My college town was made fun of on South Park so that's something. :P

• Brohoof 1

On 11/28/2017 at 8:38 AM, Lucky Bolt said:

Sonoma Raceway, I know all about that. :D

My parents live in Sonoma. The roads around the racetrack are not designed to handle that many people. It’s a mess on race weekends. Yikes.

I live in Austin, Texas, which is a capitol city. Our capitol building is taller than the national capitol because everything is bigger in Texas. We’ve got a bridge that during the summer houses up to 1.5 million bats, which can be more than the population of the city. We’ve got spectacular night life, but is super family friendly, and I love it here. 

Because it’s Texas, most people believe it’s a gross, dry plains, but it’s actually green and lush most of the year, we have rolling hills and oaks, and it’s truly beautiful.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

Well, Washington DC has a lot of stupid people known for doing a lot of stupid things :P 

Being the capital of the US helps make it famous too I bet. :P 

The thing that makes my city famous is probably the fact that it’s home to the tallest building in North America. It’s also a very multicultural city and one of the 5 biggest in N. America. 

Edited by Captain Clark

• 10 months later...

The island I live on is famous for having a very green country side but being only a few miles away from the main capital (being the largest city in my country)