Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you prefer the fandom or canon names?

----------------------

For me, the names in the show come first. These are canon. Maybe followed by those in the IDW comics. You might count them as canon, too.

Then come the fan names which I still use.

Then, after a whole lot of nothing, come the names that Hasbro's toy designers come up with. And they are not canon, full stop.

Want to know why? Easy: Because Hasbro's toy designers are clueless.

They seem to barely know that the Mane Six are main characters, as are the Princesses and Spike. As for all the other ponies, they see and treat them all the same, whether they're random recolours of unpopular background ponies, important secondary characters or borderline (or actual) villains. If they're given names with the pony pics they shall base new toys on, they neither know nor care where the names come from.

It's one thing that they rename popular background ponies (Colgate → "Minuette", Lyra → "Heartstrings", Bon Bon → "Sweetie Drops", Carrot Top → "Golden Harvest") as well as less popular ones (Linky → "Shoeshine", Seafoam → "Sea Swirl"). Sometimes justified, sometimes they paddled back after a massive shitstorm ("Lyra Heartstrings"). It's much worse that they rename actual characters because they don't know any better. Babs Seed (a song on the show is named after her, for Celestia's sake) became "Sweetie Babs". Suri Polomare became "Buttonbelle". And The Great and Powerful Trixie (the name "Trixie" is said 40 times all over "Boast Busters", exactly half of these times by Trixie herself, so you can impossibly miss that name) was renamed "Lulamoon".

So much about Hasbro's toy designers being a reliable source for pony names. Which they clearly aren't. And therefore, their names are NOT canon unless mentioned in the show.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the character. Some of them I prefer the canon name, other times the fanon name. For example, I prefer Dr. Whooves over Doc Time Turner, but I prefer the name Minuette over Colgate.