Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is SlenderMan REALLY scarier than Amnesia?

Ad Foedera Cresco

After reading a certain post, it reminded me to find out how to make a topic and I finally found it! (not like that's a good thing). Slenderman.... I personally don't think it's scary, maybe the first time, but not really scary at all to me after that. Did any of you who've played it or watch someone play it think it's scary? If you don't know what Slenderman is, it's a scary game made for a competition in 14 days. It's supposively "The scariest game in the World" and the whole objective is to grab 8 pages as some obese fatty, at night, in a forest for whatever reason, with a flashlight. You don't get a page and eventually Slendy' will come after you, but after you grab a page he'll be after you. To lose, all you have to do is look at him long enough, and your game will exit automaticly.

I think Amnesia is 1000x scarier than Slenderman personally. :huh: Probably because of the atmosphere, the sanity feature, health feature, and that your lamp is very limited on oil. Just everything about is scary to me :o I even deleted the icon so I don't have to look at it anymore! I'm probably still completely terrified of Amnesia...

Having never played either, but seen videos of Slender, I would say that it isn't as scary as it is nerve-racking. All it does is keep you on edge.

• Brohoof 1

Neither are scary, but that's just my opinion. I actually thought they were quite boring at time *laughs*

I also think Bioshock was overrated for scariness, but the atmosphere was beautiful and it was really entertaining. :)

I guess I'm just not easily frightened, but you DID say you have weak nerves.

Indeed, I get nervous in Skyrim if I have to go through a a dark dungeon and I hear footsteps xD

And the people like the crazy surgeon or the scenes where the light flickers where really intense for me.

Also, that you hear the splicers talking but don't know where they are makes the game pretty nervewrecking at least for me

I'm going to give Amnesia a try, just downloading the demo right now. Maybe I'll buy it. Nothing really does scare me (except this one movie), I might twitch at a loud sound when it's quiet, but that's about it.

i actually own the full version of Amnesia but have never played it. :x

i dunno about Slender but it seems like your average horror "collect x items and watch out for the unknown force that can kill you at any given time" game

i still think the best horror game is the mod Happy Time Circus 2 for Doom 2. it's just so surreal and otherwordly. not exactly scary, but it's incredibly atmospheric and features very unique, non-linear gameplay.

Slender and Amnesia have two distinctive ways of being a horror game. Slender is more of a survival jump-scary kind of game while Amnesia is more about the environment. Of course, Amnesia also has its own jump scare moments, but I think that it is more about the environment more than just about avoiding the bad guy.

I like both games for different reasons, but I really do feel that Amnesia is the scarrier game. Seriously, try to play it with the lights out and headphones on like it says in the intro.

Both are scary in different ways. Slender uses sound and jump scare tactics to scare. While Amnesia uses atmosphere and lighting to scare. Comparing them is kinda weird since one is a F2P game while the other isn't. Personally, I feel the Slender music is much more frightening than the music that plays in Amnesia. However to each their own, I enjoy both games with my friends.

Jump scares are cheap methods of scaring for people who don't know how to actually scare.

Certainly not.

Slender is a really awesome independent game though. For such a small project, it's very impressive.

However, the gameplay is simple and repetitive. But it works.

Amnesia has so many different features and all of them are extremely effective. It's a full game and it has enough content to last me a lifetime(since I rarely finish scary games like that anyways)

Basically, I could imagine Slender as a level in Amnesia, it'd fit right in, but it's not one of the best levels.

• Brohoof 1

I played both, and I found Amnesia to be just... boring.

Slender was scary for me, because I hate the fact that he's so silent and appears out of nowhere. I hate it when things jump out/pop out in front of me.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, people are talking too much about it... It's scary at first, but not something that'll haunt you to your sleep. Most of the time, the game is empty with half-decent graphics.

Slender doesn't exactly gives the feeling of stalking 'n haunting you either... It feels more like he just pops out every now and then to say hi, and then you can easily run away. He has no animations at all, and is not a freaky ugly monstrosity of any kind.

The scarier thing about the game are the sound effects, without a doubt. You can get a few jumpscares if you have headphones on, but again, only if that's your first time playing the game.

My opinion: I like both games, but Slender gets boring after awhile (unlike Amnesia). And is too overrated.

Edited by DrizzleSTAR

I'm too much of a damn sissy to ever play either of them, or even so much as watch a few minutes of gameplay. Then again, I'm the same for basically every horror game there is, 'cause I got extremely weak nerves and jump at basically anything that's creepy or scary. Surprisingly enough, though, Bioshock never made me jump even once, and I was able to watch about 20 minutes of Dead Space 2 gameplay without getting freaked out.

Anyways, from what I have heard at least Slenderman isn't as scary as Amnesia, or at least the scare doesn't last as long from Slenderman compared to Amnesia.

• Brohoof 2

, Bioshock never made me jump even once,

You're my Hero. Just seeing the Bioshock commercials got me terrified for awhile :( But yeah, the scare for Slender only lasts for the first or acouple of times (depending on how you are). Amnesia can get boring too, but it'd take much longer considering it doesn't take 20 minutes to beat the game like Slender :P .
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe I'm crazy but neither of them scare me. You just know that something frightening is going to happen and I brace myself for it. Then it's just like.... "Oh hey Slendy!" Play "Red Light, Green Light" with him while playing Pinkie Pie songs and it will be a pleasurable experience. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Was playing Amnesia with lights off at night, Bose Headphones on, gamma set. I almost went nuts and had to stop, I can't find any light anymore.

It's wearing the headphones, a good pair, that really makes a difference.

• Brohoof 2

No, Slender isn't scarier than Amnesia and will never be.

Amnesia is a very well done horror game, i doubt that Slender can top Amnesia.

Slender is more like scarejumps and stuff, Amnesia with the environment makes you get scared in any map, slowing you to proceed through the game (At least, that is what happened to me)

But yeah, if someone is saying that Slender is scarier than Amnesia, they never played Amnesia.

if someone is saying that Slender is scarier than Amnesia, they never played Amnesia.

Yeah, a family member of mine played Amnesia and Slenderman. She didn't find Amnesia scarey at all but I didn't even have to tell her about Slendy and she thought it was horrific... :huh: Everypony's different, but I don't see this sense in logic...

She didn't find Amnesia scarey at all but I didn't even have to tell her about Slendy and she thought it was horrific...

Because scarejumps.

To get scared in amnesia, you have to play for a long time and enjoy it, because it doesn't get scary until you get to the Refinery.

There is when the game creeps you out.

Just a quick strange fact for you guys that I found out about the Slender Man. In the game "Slender", if you look at the Slender Man, strange black tentacles start to form from his back. I for one just found this out, and thought it was kinda interesting... And not to mention, they are really quite creepy too.

Edited by Indigo Twirl

Slender was ridiciolus (spelling?). I think that Penumbra is scarier than both Amnesia and Slender. I mean. HE JUST STANDS THERE AND HE'S LIKE "COME HERE. I WON'T GO OVER THERE.". I don't find that game scary at all ._.

Because scarejumps.

To get scared in amnesia, you have to play for a long time and enjoy it, because it doesn't get scary until you get to the Refinery.

There is when the game creeps you out.

(I was typing this until my Laptop shut off randomly, so here I am again :mellow: ) Yeah, Slender is more of a Jumpy game than an actually Scary game. Unless the player doesn't know that he doesn't actually walk, he/she might find it suspenseful scary. For Amnesia though I agree that you have to play it longer to get to the UNGODLY HORRIFIC parts which why I removed it from existence on my hard drive :( . It keeps you on edge until the music starts playing, then you get terrified and panic without even seeing the monster. That's scary to me.
  • Brohoof 1

Just a quick strange fact for you guys that I found out about the Slender Man. In the game "Slender", if you look at the Slender Man, strange black tentacles start to form from his back. I for one just found this out, and thought it was kinda interesting... And not to mention, they are really quite creepy too.

What you just said reminds me of something.... hmmm... what was it?....

OH YEAH xD LOOK AT THIS

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAhAdYXqYE&feature=player_detailpage

Also, If anypony can figure out what he says, PLEASE TELL ME!!

Edited by Octavia's Cellozoid

Slenderman is sorta walking around and getting notes well he falls you I really don't get whats so creepy about it but, in Amnesia you you wounder a castle and it sorta gives off they creepy vibe. In slender it sorta does but you can see the pop up thing coming after awhile.

Edited by Leafthepegasus