Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bullying: Experiences and How to Deal With It

Dr_Waveband

Bullied or not?  

77 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been bullied?

• Yes, I have been bullied.
    • No, I haven't been bullied.
    • I don't remember if I have been bullied or not.
    • I am a bully.

(edited)

I never really got bullied. As loud, obnoxious, insensitive, and know-it-all as I am, people don't seem to mind me all that much. The only time people tried to bully me was in middle school, and I wouldn't even acknowledge them. After about 5 mins, they stopped. You take the fight out of a snake, and what do you get? A boring old belt. They got bored and moved on to somebody else, I haven't seen or heard from them again.

The value of people's opinions is subjective. Their value is completely dependent on how YOU value them. Some people might care deeply about other people's opinions. These people are giving bullies reactions, enabling their bad behavior. Whereas some people are like me, and simply couldn't care less. These people aren't giving bullies any reaction at all, depriving them of the attention they seek, and discouraging their bad behavior.

The best way to deal with bullies is to simply ignore them. They're only an issue if you make them one.

Edited by UrdiePie

I have been bulied in the sixth grade over being a brony. But not alot. The worst part of it is that the person who hated it the most was my best friends. But after some complicated things, we got over it. And then he moved away.... I became a real brony after that, and I didn't care about what people say to me anymore.

(edited)

Bullies, isn't that huge problem? Was bullied in highschool, luck for me it never escalated past verbal insults and towards violence. Sucks to be overweight huh? Forget the guys name but everytime we had the same class he would call me things like fag, animal loved, fat a**. Stuff like that.

How I delt with it was simple, just ignore the idiots. I'd tell myself eveytime he said crap 'Ignore him! Let him act like some overgrown child. After highschool none of this crap is gonna matter so just ignore it.' Best advice I gave myself :) Besides I got better things to do with my time then lash back at him.

Edited by Agent153

In my experience, violence is what solved bullying...

Turns out, bullies look for signs of vulnerability in people. That is why you must never let them know that you are hurt by them.

When I was new on campus, some guy thought he could push me around and acted as though he's my superior. Not only did I hold my ground, it switched on everything I had developed over the years in my flight from vulnerability. Tenactity, cruelty and no regard for my own well-being. I was prepared to fight and if one of us had to die, painfully, then so be it. When I told him that I will not be pushed around, that nothing he says or do will ever make me bend to his will (without paying attention to my own body language), he became speechless and I could see fear in his eyes.

It's an extreme case... Looking back on it, what I basically did was show signs that are opposite to vulnerable. There are different ways to show that you are not vulnerable.

I have been through bullying before and i guess it also hurt me in life by lowering my self esteem and caused me to bully others and do horrible actions to others. Now however as I have gotten older I do not let the bullying getto me any more as I realized life gives us chalanges I meanbullying is a challange to get us to toughen up to teachus to solve things and resolve on our own. I mean the best way to stand up to a bully isnt telling a teacher it isnt getting a friend it is to standup to the bully yourself. I mean with mental bullies they pick on the weak because they are insecure about themselves. the physical bullies are pretty much the same way. I belive when you stand up for someone and let bulliesknow you will not be broken then you have won the battle.

I've been bullied constantly when I was in elementary school (and a little now) because of my language barrier when I first came to America. They made fun of how I said the word number three, I said it as "tree" without the 'h'. For goodness sake! Then when I was in fourth grade, there was this guy in my class that kept calling me names and taking things from me. I told the teacher and she was like "I'm sure he'll stop soon, don't worry".

I was just like "Wtf?!". Now, I'm not easily affected by the taunting and all that crap. Though my friend has. She moved schools because of these girls apparently harassing her and calling her a liar. I believed her and felt bad for her at first, but then I realized that she was spreading different stories with the people I knew from 6th grade. I asked her why she was so affected by the words of these people and I said:

"If you know what they're saying is not true, then don't be affected by it! Do you think that your a liar? If you don't then just ignore the crap that they say! They WANT you to be pissed, and if you give them that satisfaction, they will only crave for more and your misery will never stop"

• Brohoof 1

I was bullied for the most part in middle school.

It was the worst time period of my life. I was picked on my ethnicity and nothing else. I had no freinds and no one wanted to talk to me.

For me it was more of a verbal attacks then physical attacks on me. I was never hurt physically, at least not most of the times.

I would have gotten all depressed, except for me it didn't really happen. I keeps telling myself that if I became depressed and gave up then my attackers would have won. And I was not going to let them win. I fought back (not physically unless it was neccesary to defend myself) and in the end I won.

Today I am no longer bullied. In high school I wasn't bullied, but even if an attempt was made I would have been prepared to deal with the situation.

Years of being bullied I developed ways and mental block so that no one could hurt me verbally. Today it is difficult to hurt me using words, it's.

It's not that difficult when you get the hang of it. One thing you have to remember is that what they are saying about you are lies or twisted lies. And because they are lies you know they arn't true. One of the reasons that people get hurt verbally is that they believe the lies.

You also have to realize the reason they are attacking you verbally is to hurt you. Don't give in to their satisfaction or else they will continue.

I did something else that I'm not sure I should recommend for you.

One thing I did was what I call the "don't care technique" (me and my creative names). In my late years of middle school (when I already got the hang of it and wasn't bullied a lot) I used this method a lot. They would say something at me and I would just listen and say "okay". Everything they said I said "okay". It kinda annoyed them because what I was basically saying is that I don't care. And that was the truth. What they said didn't matter to me. But also the way I said it wasn't depressed, it was in a cheerful like manner. I did. This on purpose so they would assume what they where saying ment nothing. Surprisingly it worked. As hard as they tried I kept saying "okay" all cheerfully and eventually thu would give up. Tried againe repeat what I did.

It worked for me, but againe I'm not sure of you should do this. A variation of this, fine.

For physicall attacks on you I can only recommend that ou first defend yourself as best as possible when it happens. Second ask for help. Verbal attacks are one thing, but physical attacks are another thing entirely.

In both cases you should always ask for help if the situation is more then you can handle.

Remember that you are not alone and that there are people out there who can help.

I used to bully some kids back in my day when I was a little prick.Beat up a buncha' kids and constantly made fun of all of them because I was going through a massive Aspergers phase and decided to become an anti-social prick instead of the most awesomest guy around.

Best way to get rid of bullies?Act like you don't care,but also let them know you're not gonna take their shit any longer.I remember getting easily bored and got my ass kicked when the kids I was bullying went and manned up.Not saying you should fight them,but either simply not give a hoot or go tell somebody who can get them in trouble,like a teacher or principal.Hell,make it seem even worse than it is if you really need to put a stop to it.

(edited)

When I was in 9th grade (Which was just last year actually) I was bullied to the point of depression, and near suicide (I've barely told anyone that) I never even did anything wrong, people just bullied me for no reason at all. The worst part of it is, they thought I wasn't smart enough to actually understand what they were saying (I was in special education classes at the time because I have autism). I wasn't able to do anything about it because nobody was willing to help me. By this point though people have just given up with the whole bullying thing thankfully

Wow, I feel a lot better after saying all of that

Edited by Endless Storm

I used to get bullied quite a bit back in elementary due to my weight and I still have issues with my confidence stemming from that, this lead to me becoming a bit of a bully in middle school which I am horribly ashamed of.

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this but I'm going to try. If you have been bullied and want a beautifully poetic inspirational video, I'd recommend watching this. 

. if it doesn't work, search for a video named "To this day, Shane Koyczan. I seriously cried in the student lounge area at my jr college in the middle of the day.

If there is one thing that really pisses me the fuck off (excuse my french) its no good bullies they just have no respect for people it gets me mad every time I have to go over and break bullying up because not only do I know what it's like to be bullied my best friend and the the love of my life Lilly took her own life because of bullies and they got away with it no punishment what so ever. I just wanna send the bullies some where that they can't hurt anyone. I am posting this because it needs to be sent around to bullies so maybe they will learn.

Visit Post on my blog: Click Here

NOTE I WILL BE POSTING SOME REPLYS AS QUOTES

Edited by rainbowprincess
  • Brohoof 1

I am like so against bullying so much. Since, I am a quiet and peaceful person most of the time but I will hate it when bullies mess with me. Pretty much, I hate it when someone takes their own life due to bullying, it is just sick and inhumane that people bully one another just to help someone kill themselves.

• Brohoof 1

Jesus Christ, you lost your friend to them? That's terrible, I'm sorry to hear that. I hate how most of the time, the news will mention "oh yeah bullies are bad and whatever and yeah stop bullies" and several seconds later, the people watching the show will completely forget everything they just heard and move on to some other "Justin Bieber visits little girl" or "Taylor Swift wins grammy award" BS news story. I've been messed with at my school, and it doesn't feel good. I just wait it out. Some of my friends get bullied, and I try to stand up for them (my words are about as powerful for fighting as a squirt gun) but it doesn't go so well. I don't want to have to see them do anything to themselves like Lily did. Well, with all the programs and what not to prevent bullying in school, it'll go down about let's say, 0 fucking percent. If people will realize that the whole "oh if you tell, then you're a crybaby little kid" thing isn't true, and people won't talk crap about you for it, then it'll be a lot easier fixing the problem.

• Brohoof 1

I was bullied a lot back then. It caused me to be depression and my bad memories of my childhood kept haunting and taunting me. No matter how hard I tried to forget my bad memories and try moving forward it still bug the hell out of me. :(

But I agreed what you said. Those bullies REALLY need to get a life. I am sooooo sorry about your friend, hon.

• Brohoof 2

I was bullied the vast majority of my life, and the only times people didn't bully me was when they were scared of me (don't ask). This one kid in particular would always mess with me and he hit me all the time. Eventually, well...I'll just let a verse from one of my poems tell you what happened:

"Finally, one day, I was sick of all this.
Some kid went and hit me
And his face met my fist!"

I'm not a big fan of violence, but to be honest, sometimes it works. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

First let me say i'm truly sorry about your friend  :( . I hate Bullying so much especially the fact that is can lead to future mental problems something which i'm dealing with right now. one of the many reasons for bullying is the fact that Reality t.v is becoming the most watched thing for kids to watch. It is horrible that people have to hurt other people for not being like them especially now with terms like SWAG. While bullys are the major problem the fact that many schools don't take the problem seriously is also a problem. In my state they set up a new law during my junior year (2010-2011) and the school took it seriously for maybe a month then it was back to giving no real punishment to bullies. Schools need to take bullying seriously and reilize it has long lasting effects!

• Brohoof 1

I have been through bullying before and it is of course not fun and out of desperation I often resorted to intimidation and in some cases even violence to try to make it stop. I was always very tall for my age and in late middle school developed a football player build and since bullies are complete cowards and because they knew I would knock them on their sorry asses if they tried most of them resorted to psychological bullying as opposed to physical bullying but it still sucked.

I merged your thread on bullying with a similar topic. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread to ensure that a similar or identical one doesn't already exist.

I used to get bullied A LOT in middle school. It was at it's worst durring 8th grade. This group of assholes would always make fun of me and hit me sometimes. I didn't have any friends and everbody hated me. Sometimes at night, I would cry myself to sleep because I was so lonely. I really wanted to commit suicide or bring a gun to school, kill them and then kill myself so I wouldn't have to go to jail. In seventh grade, I actually cut myself with a razor blade once and I bled for about thirty minutes. My blood was on the hallway and the janitor had to clean it up. I still have the scar on my arm. I'm at a different school now but I still have trouble trusting people.

Edited by Neighvana666

• 1 month later...

Have you ever been bullied or know someone who was being bullied? What did you do about it? Share your experiences.

I've never had much trouble with being bullied, though I did get a in a lot of trouble in school frequently for losing my temper.

Well I told everyone I was gay when I was 13, so my whole life since then (well even before that now I think of it) has had lots of bullying. I used to get bashed in high school allot haha 
It didn't bother me so much. I never physically fought back whilst being bashed or verbally abused haha I just let them get it out of their system and then I got left alone, especially after a few got expelled :P We all live on if we choose too lol

I was bullied in middle school, seemingly for no reason at all other than having been a generally sensitive and quiet child. A grand majority of it was verbal torment, but I did have one jackass run up to me from behind and shove me down to the ground one time. I didn't have half the fighting spirit back then that I do today, so I just picked myself up and walked on home. Thankfully, high school was infinitely more forgiving as I went completely unnoticed.

Nowadays, though, I look like the kind of dude that no one would think twice about talking smack to, let alone look at the wrong way. Can't wait till I can afford to get me some sweet tats all across my arms, that'll seal the deal to such a degree that I'll even be able to wear MLP merch in public without (open) judgment.

...Of course, it'll probably also ensure that I never get a girlfriend since women would be too terrified to even approach me, but...details! happy.png

Well, I've been bullied my whole life so far. That's one of the reasons why I haven't been in school for 3 months. I've always been a bit different, people doesn't seem to like "different". I didn't really take it very well, I used to laugh all the time to not fall down on the floor and cry like a little baby. Some are able to take it and some just can't I guess.