Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bullying: Experiences and How to Deal With It

Dr_Waveband

Bullied or not?  

77 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been bullied?

• Yes, I have been bullied.
    • No, I haven't been bullied.
    • I don't remember if I have been bullied or not.
    • I am a bully.

Yes I was, most of it was things like vicious rumors, talking behind my back which was bad enough but some people even pretended to be my friends and stabbed me in the back which really sucked. I was rarely even physically bullied because I towered over most of my other fellow students and those that tried got two knuckle sandwiches with extra pain, hold the mercy.

I hate bullies. It's dumb. I've always been the weirdo in my class. I take 2 pills each day, but that doesn't stop me from going hyperactive. Why am I so different? Huh? Reminds me of tribetwelve,where they want Noah to get the journal instead of going to get it from his uncle themselves. I once carved in the bathroom stall with my fingernail,"PUT A CHECK IF YOU HATE ALANA." A week later, there's about 15 - 20 checks! I hate it!

Your profile says you live in Rhode Island? From what I hear, that's not exactly the best of places in the world to live. A few of my friends in particular have expressed a certain disdain for it that I'd rather not go into detail about, but needless to say it's not exactly Ponyville, Equestria.

I'd watch your back when you grow older, like how you're beginning the transition to your high school years. It either escalates once you're older or dies down quickly. Maybe it isn't exclusively a reflection of your place of residence, but I'd be much more aware of it if I were you as well.

Kids don't usually like energetic kids. It's awkward because hardly anyone seems to do it, preferring to keep themselves at bay. I wouldn't call it a weakness even if you couldn't help it. You're not at fault here. However, there's much more to you than meets the eye and that is what you have to get across to the other kids if they want to respect you. You're hyperactive, meaning you have a gift for speaking up and speaking loudly. You can use it to your advantage and stand up for yourself.

I have been bullied starting in 1st grade and one time, when I was in 5th grade, I almost thought of commiting suicide, but instead, I just cried myself out at night and to this day going from 7th to 8th grade, im still being bullied during the school year and I think that it is unnacepptable, and I never fought any bully before because I am a pacifist to be honest, and one bully would say that I would never be successful in the future.

(edited)

I was born with hydrocephalus which resulted in brain damage. This led to cerebral palsy (and flawed vision) and may or may not have influenced a later diagnosis of autism. My life has been spent in a seemingly endless gauntlet of harassment, abuse, and contempt from family and peer alike. Those who were friends turned enemies when they saw my friendship made them unpopular. Some were never friends at all, and had just lost a bet or taken a dare. Emotional and physical damages piled up, and inevitably led to a bitter, cynical, depressive, downward-spiraling shell of a human being. To this very day, I count only about five people I've known in life as proper friends, have disowned a brother for being far too much a part of the problem, bear repressed rage and resentment toward a father as well as humanity in general, am still prone to all manner of unhealthy coping mechanisms (up to and including what is commonly called 'cutting'), suffer the occasional suicidal contemplation and outright depressive breakdowns, and live/socialize primarily via the internet.

If I had to guess, I'd say the last really truly legitimately good interaction I had with a person face-to-face, free of any turmoil internal or otherwise, was...Sixteen years ago? Maybe seventeen.

So...Yeah, kinda.

Edited by Xanatos

I have been bullied. I'm graduated now, so it will never be a real problem in the same way.

So throughout school I was always little. and on top of that the end and most of middle school I lived on the Navajo reservation and was the only white kid. So I was greatly bullied throughout that time. when I started my freshman year of high school I was 70 pounds.... The favorite joke was that people teased me about being Taylor Swifts boy friend(probably due to the face of confusion I gave every time not knowing who she was or what was going on.) My father was a school counselor who did little. Then I was in weights class and had a great growth spurt, grew about seven or nine inches (terrible growing pains).

At this point not many people messed with me, I was still growing and was at average size. My Junior year something happened and I snapped, I became a bully. I picked on people and my friends. 

My senior year i changed, at the beginning of the year I picked out some of the smaller sadder freshmen and told them they were mine. The rules were simple, i was their senior and they were my freshmen. If anyone messed with them they let me know, by now I was almost as big as I am now and no one stood up to me. I teased them some, but not much. Once our deal got out no-one else would mess with them (except for once when someone who was about 250 lbs figured I wasn't much. and picked on one just to piss me off. It worked)

I used to get bullied a lot in primary and middle school even though I had some good friends. The schools were pretty incompetent despite the various complaints that were made both by my parents, my friends and a few of the lower members of staff. 

It continued when I went into Secondary school for the first year and second year (by the same kinds mind you) however due to the size of the school it largely went unnoticed as well. 

Now, I'm not going to condone this, but what actually stopped the bullying was when one of these idiots actually got physical which was a mistake on their part. I had been at a kickboxing class for a year by then and I must have been 14 when this incident occurred. What I did a lot in my 3rd year was talk back to them in a very sarcastic manner which actually really annoyed this kid and he went to hit me...to which there's a slight possibility that I broke his nose afterwards. I was never bullied again after that.

I think you have to show that you're not phased by them and if you can do it non-violently then that's great, but there's nothing quite like giving them what they deserve. 

Bullying was practically normality for me all through my childhood. It wasn't until Grade 12 and university that I ever received respect as a person. People called me weirdo, booger eater, made fun of my name, my country of origin (Indonesia), the fact I lived in Canada for 8 years (was living in Indonesia), was continually poked at because I was academic smart and not "street" smart. 

Maybe a little bit. Nothing bad ever though. The worst crap I ever got was for wearing an Adam Lambert shirt to school. Only like 1 maybe 2 guys mocked me for it. In other words, it was nothing. The "popular" kids, well at least a few of them had a tendency to pick on everybody even their friends back in Jr.High. It was never bad at all though. Now that I'm In High School, everyone seems friendlier. 

See this is a funny question cause by today's standards i was bullied and a bully but when i was growing up it was just normal, people would maje fun if each other fights would happen and the circle would go on today the kids seem to have less of a thick skin

See this is a funny question cause by today's standards i was bullied and a bully but when i was growing up it was just normal, people would maje fun if each other fights would happen and the circle would go on today the kids seem to have less of a thick skin

There was a point in time where guys beating the hell out of their wives was "just normal" too. Now it's called abuse. But hey, I guess women today just have a thinner skin...

I have been bullied since 1st grade, and I've been slapped before. I've lost most of my friends, and people have made a game about me called the Alana Touch. If I accidentally make physical contact with something, they touch somebody and say Alana Touch! It makes me sick. They call me A llama barrel, instead of Alana Carroll. The school staff has never done anything about it, even though we would get countless assemblies and presentations about bullying and to tell someone about it. I've been slapped on the bus, and everyone saw it, I'm pretty sure my bus driver and monitor saw it, but they didn't do a thing. Not even the principal wants to get involved. I've become more independent and just because I have ADHD, they call me insane. When I go hyperactive, I have a huge smile that reminds me of Jeff the killer, and everybody calls me insane because of that. I cry very easily and nobody besides my friend Jarred who I don't know very well has ever stood up for me. He only stood up for me once though. In 5th grade, I sat alone on a bench every recess. A few times has anybody sat down with me, but about 5 minutes later they walked away. When I would tell my 5th grade teacher Mrs. Maroney, she'd give me a nasty glare and say that I was lying. I hate bullying and it should be stopped.

Hey, Emerald Wave. Because your thread was similar to an existing thread, the two threads have been merged. In the future, please use the search function before creating a new topic. Thank you.

I was bullied and sexually harrassed at school. Mostly because I was odd and liked cats (can you believe that?).

While I wouldn't recommend it in scenarios I did chuck a chair at one of my bullies and they never bothered me again.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, i got bullied a lot in little school, i was fat, buck-toothed, and didn't have many friends- so i was an easy target.

the way i dealt with it was i just decided i'd had enough, and hit the bully in the back of the head with a brick. i didn't even get in trouble XD no one ever really gave me any shit after that- so i'd say the way to deal with it would be to fight back.

(edited)
When I was younger I was often bullied in school for being different and for having few (or no) friends. I know how horrible it can feel, and I could have used some support and advice back then. People don't always seek help when they're bullied, simply trying to ignore it, even when they're hurt by it. I feel that a discussion of this topic could prove both interesting and helpful. So, share your experiences and thoughts. Have you been bullied? Have you been a bully? What do you think one could do in such a situation?

well when i was in 5 or 6 grade(can't really reamber) some of the popular kids thought it would be a funny pank to tell the P.E teacher when we were outside running that i had a gun and was going to shoot up the school(this was the week after  combine mind you) i don't really what to talk about  what happen but after that   everyone in the hold town bullied me (i mean everyone from the young kids to the mayor) people did anything they wanted to me from  calling me names  like the N word and other racist siri to kicking me. We moved and when i got to high school i just said to myself " F everyone it's time to be a bad ass and be smart about" so when someone try to pick on me i cussed them out, held people over the raillie on the 2nd floor of my school, and be just like Frank Lucas.(i got alway with it too)

No one ever picked on me in high school because as they say about people that are bullys You project the dominant energy and they will pick up on it. I promise. Shoulder back, head high, don't reason with it, don't argue with it, just dominate it.

Edited by swordsman

(edited)

I pretty much never have been bullied (aside from being teased friendly) and had plenty of friends all the way through my school carreer and I still go to school with a smile on my face :)

Weird because I am really shy when it gets to meeting new people and Ive been told its a target for bullies, plus, since I skipped a grade, Im atleast a year younger than everybody else. Oh I love living in Holland, bullying gets more rare over the years around here.

I hate being shy though ._. But I heard chicks dig it XD so thats a plus

Edited by TamesB

• 3 months later...

Yeah I got Bullied too a lot, but it wasn't in tell I acted all crazy did the bullying stop...

What did I do? easy.. some guy started shit with me.. so I stated to scream as loud as I could... and ran in a circle.... and started to take my shirt off and yelled! "Down with the white man! up with the black woman!"

After that everyone left me alone....

Yes... but I don't really want to talk about it.

But here's how I dealt with it: One day I got bored, so I jumped on the guy and started punching it. (He's now my friend, he realized that I was someone.) After that some morons continued to bully me, they would gather in group and [...] I couldn't do anything. So well, I decided to ruin their lifes, with words.

Now everything seems fine, people accepted me.

I got bullied from time to time in middle school. I just yelled at the bully to "shut the fuck up" right in front of everyone and he stopped acknowledging my existence. I couldn't complain though, I hated him. People usually just called me harmful names and that was about it. I have been threatened multiple times by dumb bitches, but eh, oh well.

Yes I have been bullied I have been tormented so much to the point that now I am always angry but that's something that I'm working on I remember one time when i was younger I was being choked by this one kid in front of this apartment I used to lived in because I was sitting on a rock he wanted to sit on he didn't stop until I grabed him and hit his head against a wall it didn't hurt him but it gave me a chance to get away.

To be truthful bullying is actually more common as a consequence since it is easier to interact with each other in the internet, trolling is the new form of bullying and i think it's much worse than face to face bullying, you don't know who the person is and it can hurt because they attack your personal beliefs and you know absolutely nothing about them. There are a lot of Bronies who gets trolled especially against those who hates MLP because there is a strong fanbase. I think we should try to look out for them if possible.

back at the topic at hand

I used to be teased at school at lot when i was younger i was not popular, in actual fact i had a  shy personality.. kinda reminds me why i love fluttershy anyways there was this neighbour who was a year younger then me we went the same school and for some reasons we were friends...don't know why he was the kindest person i met though he was troubled too, he kinda treated me like dirt saying he was better than me at everything and when we played something he always won and he would rub it in my face, actually he called me dirt once.  But it got worse, I also had other neighbors who were his friends they were much worse they would pick on me too once they thought it was funny to stick a knife on me, it was a bad joke on they're part and my so called friend played along with them.

I did not what to think about that, but know that i think about it he had a lot of issues and i did not speak to him much after, I did not tell my parents because i did not want them to get stressed and upset so i went back to school and pretended it was alright but it wasn't the neighbours moved away and I moved away and i was thankful i did not have to deal with that ever again.

Edited by Renon Strike

Yeah, I was bullied all throughout my elementary and high school years. I was the #1 of my class section academically, and my classmates thought it was a good idea to pair me with the topper of the other section. They would often do this annoying chant which drove me nuts. In addition, my classmates would tease me for my 'nerdiness', throw paper balls at me, steal my stuff for the lulz, and throw my lunchbox and notebooks in the basketball hoops of the school court.

So in my latter years, I put on the persona of a stoic; I presented myself as emotionless so as not to give them the satisfaction from my reactions. And it worked, to some extent. But it wasn't without repercussions. Because of this, I was always grumpy and made no friends.

But in high school, when I came to grips with my worldview, everything became a lot better. I was no longer grumpy, and I began to understand why the bullies are that way. I noticed that the bullies usually aren't as well-off as non-bullies, so I thought perhaps their bullying is a symptom of not receiving enough love from their families, lack of proper education, and/or being unable to make friends. From that point on, when I get bullied, I just feel pity for the bully, and I do what I can to help the bully (I usually just report it to the higher-ups so they can talk to them).

There was this one time when someone suddenly pulled my pants down. It was a simple matter of pulling my pants up and writing a report of the incident. I was actually pretty proud of myself that time because I didn't flip out like I would have just a few years ago. I took it as a sign of my maturity.

So, apologies if I sound morally arrogant, but my advice to those getting bullied is: remember that you have the moral high ground, and try to understand the bully and do what you can to turn the him/her into a better person.

And if you took the time to read my awfully long post, thanks. It felt good to get this out of my chest. smile.png

But it got worse, I also had other neighbors who were his friends they were much worse they would pick on me too once they thought it was funny to stick a knife on me, it was a bad joke on they're part and my so called friend played along with them.

Whoa, that sounds really bad. Should have told your parents; it's worth their trouble if it's something this serious.

Ohyeah, this may not be for everyone, but WORKOUT. I'm not even joking, people won't bully you if you look like a football player

This is in fact a really good suggestion. Before I was a teenager, EVERYONE, regardless of which country I was in, I was bullied for one reason or another. When I was a child in Italy, I was made fun of mostly for being a foreigner, what with being part American in a small town of 10k to 15k population with virtually no contact with the outside world other than TV and telephones (this was before the rise of the internet too, fuck I feel old now). A large part of the reason why I was picked out as a target was also because I had every impression of being defenseless, stemming partly from my physical inactivity.

When I first moved to Saudi, none of that changed, and I was still made fun of because I was an easy target. So my mother had me joining the swim team, much to my chagrin as I despised doing anything that took bodily effort, but I stuck to it and in time grew to love swimming. It wasn't until next year that I broke through everyone else after overcoming a wall, becoming one of the school's top runners and swimmers. I'd even sneak out of the house after doing my homework every night to go to the compound's rec center and work out at the gym or play some basketball.

What really changed me was the fact that I didn't want to be picked on anymore, that I wanted to be stronger than everyone and prove myself to them, was a little gemstone called Dragonball. That show inspired me in so many ways that it will always have a special place in my heart. I wanted to be like Goku, Vegeta and all of its other heroes who always strived to become stronger and exceed their limits, overcoming wall after wall. The result was some of the best 4 years of my life img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was always kind of a "middle" kind of kid. I was neither popular or an outsider. I think that was a good path. I was able be friends with pretty much all ends of the spectrum as a result. I had popular friends, and some nerdy ones too. I really kinda didn't get in the way of others and the only "bullying" I did was just some verbal joking around with friends. I do agree with ad foedera cresco though, people in shape don't get messed with. As bad as that sounds