Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just told my family I'm a brony

Night Shine

So recently I've been telling my family and parents that I'm a brony.

I first told my mom, who was surprised that I made such a big deal out of it. She had no problem with the idea that MLP:FiM could be a good show, but again, didn't see why it's such a big deal.

I'm kind of still telling my dad. When I initially told him, he just seemed confused. I haven't shown him an episode yet, but he doesn't seem to care.

My older brother had a reaction closer to what I was expecting, but not quite. When I told him I like MLP:FiM, he said, "Now redeem yourself. Show me an episode." I showed him Return of Harmony pt 1, and he kinda understood. Still, he was really bothered by the fact that I'm telling people IRL about it.

Sooo have you all told anypony? What were their reactions? What should I do next about my family? I still have an older sister who's in college (I'm not, by the way) who loves dealing with little girls.

• Brohoof 13

I've only told my parents so far.

My mother was a bit confused, she asked if I am homosexual or something :lol: . But after some explanation she accepted it, although she can't understand why I find MLP so interesting.

My father said that I've never been normal and this is another evidence :lol: .

I've shown one episode to both of them, but they say it's "too cute" for them.

• Brohoof 3

I don't mean any offence by this.... But why is "Coming out" as a Brony such a big deal? Its just a show and a fan base for it... its not like coming out as gay or anything... I really don't see why everyone is making a big deal of "Coming out" as a Brony lol Its kinda of melodramatic and silly. I am gay, telling my parents that was a rather big deal, but this? This shouldn't even be something to "come out" as lol Its just a show. Its like me "Coming out" as a TrueBlood fan lol.

Congrats? On it going well anyway

• Brohoof 5

My parents know, my sister knows, my grandmother knows, pretty much everyone I associate with knows, if only from seeing me wear my "Brony" t-shirt. They all think it's a bit weird, but that comes as no surprise to them anyway; they know I'm a weird person.

• Brohoof 1

Well I haven't told my parents but I don't see it as something that really is a big enough deal to just confront them with. They have seen me watching it countless times. Always seems a bit silly to me when ponies behave like telling others your a brony is on par with coming out of the closet or something lol. I have told all my friends and have gotten most of them to see almost all the episodes and honestly have received very little hate from anyone. Most hate I have gotten was when I showed up to a D&D session after changing my facebook profile pic to the same as on here and my friend TC said "I don't approve of you" and a few jokes are made from time to time that I find funny too but nothing flat out insulting. I consider myself very lucky to be able to surround myself with such open minded people :D

Edited by Broken Image

I don't mean any offence by this.... But why is "Coming out" as a Brony such a big deal? Its just a show and a fan base for it... its not like coming out as gay or anything... I really don't see why everyone is making a big deal of "Coming out" as a Brony lol Its kinda of melodramatic and silly. I am gay, telling my parents that was a rather big deal, but this? This shouldn't even be something to "come out" as lol Its just a show. Its like me "Coming out" as a TrueBlood fan lol.

Congrats? On it going well anyway

It's because of fear of receiving unrelenting hatred from the general idiots of the masses. Things like death threats, bullying and those who want to do a little genocide campaign on all Bronies, but even the masses seem a little too smart to agree on the genocide campaign on all Bronies.

___

When I told my friends I was a Brony, most them didn't really care, some called me weird or gay and whatever.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

It's because of fear of receiving unrelenting hatred from the general idiots of the masses. Things like death threats, bullying and those who want to do a little genocide campaign on all Bronies, but even the masses seem a little too smart to agree on the genocide campaign on all Bronies.

Well I have not heard of anything near as extreme as that... But I do live in Australia, which is laid back... kinda lol. I personally don't see any big deal at all, nor do most of my Brony friends. But then again, I don't live where you ponies do lol.

Ok I really dont see why its such a big deal to tell people your part of the MLP community? I mean Ive told my brothers and a few of my friends because the topic came up...... But I still dont see why it is such a big deal..... I mean certainly some people who find out will try to give you crap or something.... But people do that about anything..... You could say to them I like reading books or playing video games..... And they would be like your a nerd or a bookworm or something like that..... :huh:

It doesnt matter what it is.... If you like something that someone else doesnt and they are intolerant they will make a big deal out of it no matter what it is .... Whether you like reading books or like watching MLP.... someone will always disapprove... So just remember this:

Haters are always gonna hate... So dont worry about them.... just do what you enjoy doing ^_^ and enjoy yourself you seriously cant spend your time worrying about what others think of you..... ;)

Sorry if I got a bit off topic .... Kinda got a bit carried away :lol:

• Brohoof 3

my old folks were surprisingly chill when i told them, well, I was also wearing my Fluttershy Yay shirt so they could tell i really liked the show. I then showed Mum the yay part and she thought out loud, "how could you like something so cute but you play the most brutal murderous games" to my reply "every killer has a soft spot"

• Brohoof 1

i never told my parents they just cough on or it was mention near them, because I've never seen it as a big dead to tell anyone because well i haven't changed at all.

hell i had too Brony hater friend who didn't care also long as i didn't become the brony they despise... which wont be the case because i'm anti- canterlot brony ( canterlot brony is the name i give people who use there bronyness to achieve some kind of superiority above others, they use the term true bronie and will always dog pile people for the slightest negative opinion while at the same time pretending to be oppressed and objectified for being a brony, which explains my hated for the brony song)

it wasn't like when i came out as a Bi-sexual in a very catholic area hell i spent most of my time in a boxing gym just out side a church and it wasn't much trouble because everyone knew me for what i was (a loudmouthed jackass who speaks his mind and makes sure im heard )

My mum kinda jokes bout the show but nothing spiteful and my dad never really acknowledges it but when it comes up we joke bout it in good spirits. :)

I have also told a few of my friends who are supportive in it and for those who have acted negatively to it I just say I don't expect you to watch it I just enjoy it and it makes me happy so yea it doesn't change me and they seem alright with that.

• Brohoof 2

Well my sister caught me watching it and watched it with me. She then proceeded to tell my mother and got her to watch with me too. She told my father but he doesn't really want to watch it. I'm glad my parents are cool about it. Currently me and my mother are impatiently waiting for season 3.

EDIT: My sister is eight years old.

Edited by Mal (Starbolt)
  • Brohoof 2

My sisters also caught me watching it. At first they were surprised but I soon got them hooked.

My mother is rather neutral towards the whole thing. She doesn't mind me watching the show but she's kind of against me buying a shirt. I'll change her mind.

When my father first found out about bronies he said something about gay people and such (don't remember what) but he said it as a joke. He's also okay with it and once I told him how many people watch the show and buy merchandise he said we should start selling t-shirts. :P

Generally I don't tell people about it though (directly at least). Not out of fear, I just think it's not worth bringing up. I do however make inside references and then get stared at when no one gets it. XD

I remember when I first told my parents.

My mom was OK with it actually, she said I could like whatever I like.

My dad, however, said "Why would you like a show meant for little girls?". I explained to him that it's a big thing and I'm not the only one. He then said "Oh wow they must be all autistic".

They're fine with it, but that still hurt me. :/

• Brohoof 1

i never told my parents they just cough on or it was mention near them, because I've never seen it as a big dead to tell anyone because well i haven't changed at all.

hell i had too Brony hater friend who didn't care also long as i didn't become the brony they despise... which wont be the case because i'm anti- canterlot brony ( canterlot brony is the name i give people who use there bronyness to achieve some kind of superiority above others, they use the term true bronie and will always dog pile people for the slightest negative opinion while at the same time pretending to be oppressed and objectified for being a brony, which explains my hated for the brony song)

it wasn't like when i came out as a Bi-sexual in a very catholic area hell i spent most of my time in a boxing gym just out side a church and it wasn't much trouble because everyone knew me for what i was (a loudmouthed jackass who speaks his mind and makes sure im heard )

Yeah, the reason I didn't tell anyone yet is because I'm not a canterlot brony. I mean, I like it, and there is no real reason for them to know!

I honestly don't understand why most of bronies think it's such a big deal. MLP show is just a TV show. If you would tell your family that you're going bungee jumping then yea those are such a ground breaking news and everyone should go mad and never let you go out of your house anymore. But when you want to tell your family that you're a fan of a cartoon, your younger or older brothers or sisters might act immature laughing at you, but any NORMAL parent would never really care.

I didn't even need to tell my family, I just bring my laptop put it on a very visible place and watch MLP:FiM without caring what others think about me, and you know, as I expected : My parents could care less about it. Even my brothers who act like " real teens watch action movies " could care less what their elder sis is watching. My family even sometimes watches the show with me or watches how I draw ponies on computer saying " Oh my god those are awesome drawings!!!! "

• Brohoof 1

I changed my entire Facebook to ponies, so that did the work for me. I don't think it was a big deal. The only person that gives me crap for it is my little brother.

I remember when I first told my parents.

My mom was OK with it actually, she said I could like whatever I like.

My dad, however, said "Why would you like a show meant for little girls?". I explained to him that it's a big thing and I'm not the only one. He then said "Oh wow they must be all autistic".

They're fine with it, but that still hurt me. :/

I would hug you if I could D: The thing is that's a lot similar to how my dad would put it, except he wouldn't be fine with it... Thus, I have not told any of my family, but I have told a few of my friends....

When I came out as being a brony, my family simply didn't care, they were fine with me liking it, because they understood that it is just a TV show and there is nothing wrong with it. I also told my classmates that I was a brony, there were some mixed reactions. Some commented as "My Little Pony? Are you kidding me?", others reacted as, "Oh, that's cool, just a TV show after all.", while others were huge meanies going, "Ewwww, why do you like a little girl's show?". But, in the end, it was fine for me. I guess I'm just lucky to have nice classmates.^^

• Brohoof 1

My parents actually supported me when I told them I was a brony and explained why. They think the show and the fandom is a positive influence for me, even if they don't understand it themselves.

Told my brothers. They all became bronies. (or pre-bronies for the two youngest ones)

My dad does poke fun about it now and then, but it's more of a lighthearted joke.

• Brohoof 1

I havn't told my parents about it :lol:

Why should I? My freinds appinion on bronies is that they fap to it and are gay.

I told them the WHOLE thing and the're ingnorant and think im a fag. Hah, my Girlfreind is fine with it, i mean realy! We dont have good social reputation, us bronies....

Everybody who knows me knows that I'm going to do what I like regardless of whether or not it falls within their expectations of what a normal man should enjoy, so none of them will give me a hard time regardless of how they feel about it. I'm a compassionate, considerate individual who tries to be kind and understanding at all times, but I'm not a timid person and don't tolerate abuse for myself or anybody else, and all of my family, friends, and acquaintances know that I won't put up with it. Being that resolute dissuades anybody from trying to start something with me.

Fortunately though, my parents aren't the kind to denegrate other people for having interests different than their own. That's especially true concerning me because they know that I like to think things through for myself and don't jump recklessly into things. Above all, they realize how stupid it is for somebody to alter or terminate relationships because somebody likes a kid's TV show.

I THINK I told my parents. I think. It's kinda of confusing. I make no attempts to hide it, it's all over my computer when they look, they've heard the music, hell, my sister found my ipod one day and played the app while my parents were still at the table and she was laughing. (I was too tired to realize my ipod was the source of the laughter at the time)

Even my Facebook pictures are ponies. And yet, I think they have somehow still missed it.

My friends either think I'm weird or they are apathetic.

Edited by Archangel