Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just told my family I'm a brony

Night Shine

My mom doesn't really care, she knows I'm into some cartoons and other slightly weird things. My dad was kinda mad about how I like something for little girls, but he's over it since I get good grades, play sports, and have alot of friends. My littlest brother, age 6, thought the show was kinda funny and my 10 year old brother saw why people liked it, but he still thought it was kinda gay.

My family's pretty chill about it, my friends don't care. A few are bronies (most because of me ;) ) and the rest don't care at all. When they first found out, they were calling me gay and stuff but they got over it. Though my one friend's parents actually, legitimately think I'm a homosexual for this :P

It is such a big deal because people don't like to execpt us. Sure, I Haven't told anyone yet, but that's because I'm afraid of what others would say! (On a diffrent note, because of my fear, could some of you guys and gals brohoof this? I need some people's support if I'm gonna do this thing. Please? ;):blush::(;) ) It's such a big deal because most of us who haven't told anyone yet are afraid of the peoples reactson, maybe even afriad of what they will do with that kind of info. I'm not saying it is a bad thing to be a brony, I'm saying it is a hard thing to be a brony.

Well you have my support man and it is tough. I've told my best friends that I'm a brony and they didn't seem to care but my family is different. I'm pretty sure my mother already thinks I'm gay (which I'm not and no offence to any gay people) but that's not the case and that's not what I want people to think of me.
  • Brohoof 1

After telling my father, he recorded an episode of it. Later that night, instead of watching a movie with my family I had to sit through the episode "Ponyville Confidential," all the while getting "WTF" looks from my younger (and notably less mature) brothers. The older of the two now considers me a fur-fag, and my dad just laughed his ass off about it.

Telling people you watch a cartoon show is nothing compared to coming out as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. You can simply stop watching the show if you really get yourself to. You can't stop being LGBT. (Like me) That's why your mom probably doesn't think it's a big deal. A lot of people know I watch it, but I don't tell everyone I meet.

Edited by Tam

I remember my mom and my 2nd oldest brother finding out and they didn't take too kindly to it. Apparently they think that if I tell people at work that I watch MLP:FiM (which i've done but they don't care about it before my family found out) I will end up a bum who will live under a bridge just because I watch a cartoon. My 2nd oldest brother pretty much said, "I accept you for who you are but I can't accept that you watch a cartoon for little girls" (Can anyone say hypocrite?)

My other brothers don't care and that's awesome to know. I showed my Mom and Dad a few videos about why the Brony fandom isn't bad and they accept it but they're still a little weirded out by it. I watch the show cause I enjoy it but they think that its best to conform to society's standards and keep our interests to ourselves. So then what's the point of individuality if your not supposed to be yourself on the outside? Its understandable to maintain a professional attitude at work but I doubt talking about your interests will end up getting you fired or worse.

• Brohoof 1

i havn't told anyone, but i have a nice dual monitor background with rainbow dash's cutie mark and i'll leave it up and one of these days my parents will ask what it is and i'll say "it's rainbow dash's mark from my little pony" strait up!

then i'll have to go to counseling again but eh... worth it.

It is such a big deal because people don't like to execpt us. Sure, I Haven't told anyone yet, but that's because I'm afraid of what others would say! (On a diffrent note, because of my fear, could some of you guys and gals brohoof this? I need some people's support if I'm gonna do this thing. Please? ;):blush::(;) ) It's such a big deal because most of us who haven't told anyone yet are afraid of the peoples reactson, maybe even afriad of what they will do with that kind of info. I'm not saying it is a bad thing to be a brony, I'm saying it is a hard thing to be a brony.

No brohoofs for you sir, but at least some textual support, I guess. =p

Anyhow, answering the question AppleAndDash just answered, my interpration on the answer is because MLP is an incredibly notorious series, and in many cases the parents haven't heard of the FiM series or the Brony fandom in general, and as I can tell, being this simple one person who watches MLP IS weird by your regular social standards.

Then there's also this section of close-minded parents, who would happily... well, shouldn't really say happily, but still... disown their children or simply ridicule them for being homosexual (even if they're not).

In the end, the posting of it might seem a bit over dramatized, but with the idea that these people actually expect terrible outcomes...

Not saying it's fully justified, but their reasoning behind it... or something... Yeah, sorry. I'm not very good at explaining things... :s

This type of thread pops up quite often, and I still don't understand it. I love MLP:FIM, but it's just a television show. Why do so many people keep acting like they need to run around and tell people in their real life that they watch it. I saw just today on another site where someone phrased it as "Waving your big Brony cock around like the American Flag". Do you feel the same compulsion to tell people you watch "NCIS"? Do you feel the need to admit to total strangers that you regularly watch "The Closer"?

There's another factor that not only do I not understand, I actually find that it bothers me immensely. Why does everyone pretend telling their family that they watch a specific TV show somehow compares to the deep and heavy emotional ordeal of coming out of the closet to your family as a homosexual? To be honest, although I am married to a wonderful man, I class myself as bisexual. He knows about a past relationship I had, but I never had the nerve to "Come Out" about it to my family. When it comes to a cartoon or other TV show...Who the hell cares? You can change the channel and watch something else. You can't turn off gay.

MLP:FIM is a great show! I love checking the sites daily for cool pictures and whatnot, but it isn't my life. The show will eventually end. I think it's not a good idea to place so much importance on a 22 minute cartoon.

Sorry, let me put my soapbox away now.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, I have. I draw ponies openly in school (though since I am shy I don't just say it and all) and everyone in my house knows I like ponies. My closest friends also know that, and my best friend has been liking ponies since I showed her. No problems at all so far. I was expecting teasing, because I usually got teasing when I was younger (and I mean ALOT of teasing) but nothing happened. So, they didn't have a problem. I wish everybody was like that these days.... I mean, I'm not even 16, yet I am still saying this. Though, once I am older, I think the teasing may start.

Edited by WinterSpeed

My parents don't know about it yet. They're minds are too closed for it. EVERYTHING that i like, they automatically dislike. But, i hope they'll understand someday.

My sister saw me watching once on the TV, and since then, she starts to sing the opening to bother me, but i don't care.

lol I haven't told my mom and stepdad about me being part of the brony culture or anything but they probably think I'm some creepy homosexual sexual deviant thing for watching the show, which isn't exactly true. I have told my actual dad about it over the phone, and he seemed cool with it.

Now, as soon as my brother started living with me earlier this year I have been forcing pony stuff down his throat just for giggles. He's not a brony, obviously, and me and my sister are cruel siblings who like to torment our brother. He seems fine with the show, but when he first saw me watching it I think he said something along the lines of, "damn it not you, too."

My older sister thinks it's gay. I can't remember her first reaction, but it was something along the lines of: "what the f---, Christian!?" Now she seems okay with the bronies, although she will always say that it is the gayest fraternity she has ever seen and in some ways that's actually true, but hey I'm fine with that. I showed her sweet apple massacre because she's sick in the head and she enjoyed reading it, I'll have to get her to read Cupcakes or Rainbow Factory later.

My younger sister saw me watching it and made fun of me at first, but then she watched it and is now as much of a dork as me about it.

One of my friends was once talking about bronies, and I just burst out laughing. Of course everything he said was in a negative light, so when I started laughing I just slipped a "dude I'm a brony" in there. He didn't seem pleased, but he wasn't angry or anything. He admitted to me in private that same day that the show is surprisingly good. I'm honestly pretty sure he's in the closet about being a brony.

Oh hey 1700 characters :mellow:

Now, as soon as my brother started living with me earlier this year I have been forcing pony stuff down his throat just for giggles. He's not a brony, obviously, and me and my sister are cruel siblings who like to torment our brother.

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post. Why do you feel the need to force pony stuff down his throat? This is why Bronies have such a bad reputation. Just because you like something, doesn't mean you have to try and force everyone you know to like it too. That's a great way to alienate people and lose friends.

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post. Why do you feel the need to force pony stuff down his throat? This is why Bronies have such a bad reputation. Just because you like something, doesn't mean you have to try and force everyone you know to like it too. That's a great way to alienate people and lose friends.

well its his brother as long as we don't do it online i think we'll be alright

hmm for me i didn't tell any one they had just caught me watching the episode of MLP in the morning when they came into my room lets just say i was kind of scared and all at there reaction :blush: my mother seems to accept it but i don't wanna show her the two shirts that i bought... um my friends who found out like to rag on me for liking the show i just told them hey its what i like what does it matter I'm not constantly throwing it in your face, um another one of my friends found out when i was watching the episodes to try and win a game... along with that i Told one of my oldest friends i like the show and he was pretty chill with it, but yea im still kinda scared to go ahead and admit it just cause of how people treat bronies with not the "best" intentions but eh maybe one day i can go on with out a care.... Darn you low self esteem and wanting to be accepted! :P

I mentioned to my mother that I favored My Little Pony, and she wasn't bothered about it at all. She actually kinda liked how the ponies looked and even encouraged me to buy the t-shirts and the trading cards.

Lol you're forgetting one big thing: this guy's our brother and we enjoy tormenting him and making his life almost hell but not quite unbearable. This is most certainly not what you were talking about earlier as other than me being an insect to my brother I don't even talk about the show to others nor try to ram it down other people's throat.

Edited by Lord Bababa

Lol you're forgetting one big thing: this guy's our brother and we enjoy tormenting him and making his life almost hell but not quite unbearable. This is most certainly not what you were talking about earlier as other than me being an insect to my brother I don't even talk about the show to others nor try to ram it down other people's throat.

You're worried about how your family will perceive you for liking a cartoon, yet brag about tormenting and making your brother's life "almost hell"? Where are your priorities? It's still bullying if it's your relative! I actually wouldn't blame your brother if he got fed up with it and just beat the snot out of you.

You're worried about how your family will perceive you for liking a cartoon, yet brag about tormenting and making your brother's life "almost hell"? Where are your priorities? It's still bullying if it's your relative! I actually wouldn't blame your brother if he got fed up with it and just beat the snot out of you.

Hate to turn this discussion about bronies into some weird argument about my weird relations with my siblings, but I don't bully my brother and I'm honestly laughing that you would believe I am. I purposefully annoy him, and he purposefully annoys me and pushes my buttons.

While I'm not exactly a brony, the only person I've mentioned the show to is my freakshow friend with a flame-colored mohawk and he was a bit weirded out. He said it doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd enjoy. Either way, it isn't something I'm really all that interested in discussing IRL except for with a VERY select group of like-minded individuals.

Told everyone on the first day of school when we were talking about who we are and junk.

I got loads of are you gay questions. XD

• Brohoof 2

My first time talking about MLP with my parents was when I wanted to buy a Pinkie Pie toy on ebay.

My mom just kinda giggled or something, but bought it for me anyway.

My mom told me that my dad thinks that I'm gay, and that I "fool around" with my best friend when we're upstairs.

It didn't help that I usually wore a rainbow necklace a lot.

My friend and I showed "Cutie Mark Chronicles" to my brother, and he found it alright, but he seems to think that all bronies are sheep.

I showed a few episodes to my brother's girlfriend, and she liked it. (though she doesn't watch it on her own)

I showed "Hurricane Fluttershy" to my sister's boyfriend (he's a dad, and I'm an uncle now. Ugh.) He though it was alright.

Both my parents have not seen an episode (to my knowledge)

My 11 year old sister hates the show with a burning passion.

In order:

Got found out by my brother. Now he loves Luna.

Overseen and overheard by my sister. She's already pretty dedicated to the Homestuck fandom and is too complacent as such to do anything or hear anything about being a Pegasister beyond knowing just enough to bug me about it.

Told dad on a walk. Thought it was unusual but not otherworldly, was cool with it.

Told mom after she oversaw an episode on youtube. Thought it was cute, nothing more.

Told eldest brother, didn't care.

Told eldest brother's wife. Not sure if she's seen any of it, but she's had two reccomendations to make Pony cookies and sell them. (She owns a home business making custom cookies. Order Twilight Sparkle or something.)

• 5 years later...

i'm proud to be a Brony but my family is very disapproving. This January, on the eve of my 18th birthday, my mother caught me, and called me a freak. I can't watch Season 7 or go see the movie. Asking them to take me to the theater would be asking for a bullet.

Edited by robotcaveman
  • Brohoof 1