Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Being a Brony almost got me arrested! (kinda)

My little pwny

That would be a pretty ridiculous accusation of shoplifting, because he didn't have any evidence that proved that you were shoplifting makes him a bad cop. And just saying that it was "written all over your face" is just weird, it's like he's trying to impersonate a mind reader or something. Though law enforcement is pretty intimidating.

Edited by Octavinyl
  • Brohoof 1

That must've been a very awkward situation for you! I know how it feels when you try to buy MLP stuff and people look at you weird. Luckily, I've learned to ignore them and embrace my pegasister personality!

>Target

>security guard

What the actual f***? Where i live there are no guards, and the games are cheap.

I would've said "What the hell does it look like i'm doing? Why don't you take your minimum wage ass to the snack aisle?".

Edited by Owl City
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Thanks everypony for reading my story. And a special thanks to you guys who laughed, I thought it was funny as well. I didn't feel bad for a second, it was just really awkward.

The security guard was 60-70 years old by the way, so I doubt he could hardly understand the brony phenomena.

I'm just wondering, do you remember how you reacted when you told him you were buying it for yourself? How you acted in front of him, etc.? It just seems to be a little strange he would just jump to that conclusion on nothing but as an excuse to cover up a cognitive dissonance against a 21-year old thinking about buying toy ponies.

In any case I'm sure I would have definitely been quite frightened, embarrassed, and shocked. At least nobody blinked when you bought the trading cards...

It was kinda a knee-jerk reaction to what he was asking me. It's a classic law enforcement manuver, if you intimidate someone you suspect of a crime, you jolt, "Are you doing something wrong?!" and sometimes the offender will shock-confess. He was expecting me to say I was shoplifting and instead I confessed to the fact that I was buying ponies.

In my mind I was like, what do I do, what do I do? I was contemplating just walking away but that would have made me look even more guilty. All is well that ends well i guess...

Edited by My little pwny

Ah, unfortunate story, but an entertaining one for sure! Just a stroke of bad luck. What’s up with the cards though? I saw them once at Wal Mart and was like :o but alas I had no money, are they just collectables?

My original post was more of an explanation of preventative measures. You may have wanted advice for the awkward predicament in which you found yourself. Here's my solution:

"Nah, bro. I'm a fan of the show and I'm here to buy something for myself. You're welcome to help me look, otherwise you can continue your vigil over the rest of the store now that we've had this talk; I'll be about my business."

Situation tactfully handled.

>Target

>security guard

What the actual f***? Where i live there are no guards, and the games are cheap.

Target and as far as I know every other retail company calls them "loss prevention associates." They aren't actual security guards since they're forbidden to physically restrain anybody, or in any way jeopardize their safety or that of anybody else in thwarting an attempted robbery. Their purpose is to watch people and gather all the information they can on a shoplifter in order to file an accurate police report so he can be apprehended later.

Edited by Artemis

Well I'm sorry that happened to you My little pwny, but I actually found the story to actually be kinda funny... :lol: I can understand why you were nervous though, because I too would rather not look at pony merch in a store if someone I might know was around me. :huh:

Ah, unfortunate story, but an entertaining one for sure! Just a stroke of bad luck. What’s up with the cards though? I saw them once at Wal Mart and was like :o but alas I had no money, are they just collectables?

Yeah they are just collectable cards, but they are very nice cards, I'd recommend getting some. ;)

Oh wow, that's horrible. He had no right to say those things to you. Even if he did suspect you for shoplifting, he should have just left you alone after you emptied your pockets. It's none of his business what you're buying.

Personally I've never had any kind of encounter. No one has ever said anything to me about buying pony toys, and if they did, I would just briefly explain to them the brony phenomenon. If they still want to insult me, I'll either ignore them, or if they're an employee, I might just report them for harassment.

Well I'm sorry that happened to you My little pwny, but I actually found the story to actually be kinda funny... :lol: I can understand why you were nervous though, because I too would rather not look at pony merch in a store if someone I might know was around me. :huh:

Yeah they are just collectable cards, but they are very nice cards, I'd recommend getting some. ;)

Don't worry, I thought it was funny too. (after the fact!) It makes be glad that most of you guys thought it was funny as well.

>live in trondheim

>be in oslo

>going to cinema with friend

>kiosk first

>put candy in pockets beacouse no bag and thats how we do it in trondheim nodbody cares

>guy at counter asks me to come to counter

>be confused at first

>oh shit

>explain to him i was gonna pay

>friends back me up

>lets me go

never been so scared in all my life!

I like reading all of these pony merchandise shopping adventures. Every single one is an entertaining read. From the stupidity of people, to the general wtf reactions people receive.

i actually went into a store looking for pony stuff i couldn't find any so i asked an assistant to direct me to them XD

Because shoplifting where I lives such a problem, no matter what section you are in the guards always eye you like you are a monster and ask you what you are doing (if you look even a little bit under the age of 25 haha). I usually don't get bothered because for some reason I look quite... Innocent...or like a sissy or something haha who knows.

You were not almost arrested. You were observed actively trying to hide from people, while hanging out in the electronics department. When confronted by a security member, you (in your nervousness, granted) mouthed off and gave him a smart alec answer. It had nothing to do with ponies. He would have followed you to the shoe department since he obviously suspected you were shoplifting video games. Acting all nervous and trying to hide from people makes you stand out and look suspicious. Sorry, but I don't blame him for going to check up on you..

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I can see why the guard thought you were suspicious. I would probably do the same thing in your place, really. No reason for him to arrest you though, since he only thought you were shoplifting.. By his laugh, I could say that he just wanted to make fun of you. Which is "understandable"

Tbh though, I kinda want this to happen to me once... It must be so funny to look nervous and suspicious, and when someone asks I go "Okay, I admit! I like ze ponies!"

xD

I would have told the officer that I was just getting a Twilight Sparkle doll and leaving.

If he laughed, he would probably get bucked up. B) lol.

I'd just say "Hell yes I'm buying girl toys, got a problem with that?" But on a serious note, he had the audacity to accuse someone holding My Little Pony toys of shoplifting? :huh:

I would've just said it was for my sister if he was someone you knew and didn't want him recognizing you.