Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Being a Brony almost got me arrested! (kinda)

My little pwny

If I was caught in that situation, I'd probably be honest and say, "No, I'm not shoplifting, I'm buying pony toys. I know, it's weird, but it's the 'cool thing' now. Anyways, I'm trying to avoid this guy over there who would bug me if he knew I was here, hence my sneakiness. You understand, right?"

Though in all honesty, I haven't went out myself to get pony merchandise, only my parents did for my birthday. (And as luck would have it, the cashier was a brony herself, so they tell me) But when I do go and expand my collection, I'm gonna do it without shame. Walk in, grab the toy/T-shirt, buy it, and walk out like a boss.

• Brohoof 1

For my latest escapade, I went to Walmart and bought three figures: an Applejack, an RD, and a Luna. With them I got three of those free posters. I then take the posters to Hobby Lobby to have them framed. From there, I go to Toys R' Us and buy the CMC flower girls set from the wedding, and Princess Cadence. I already bought the Favorites Collection several days before. All of these events transpired while clad in my DJ Pon3 shirt.

Not a single negative experience was had.

Edited by Artemis

That was an intersting story indeed :D Thanks for sharing it. Nothing like that ever happened to me. At least the guard got over it :D

• 10 months later...

Report the little bitch saying that he was un-fairly accusing you of shoplifting, then flip three tables on your way out >:c

don't worry, soon... he will be one of us..... curiosity will drive him to it.....

hee hee xD i was like that, now im part of the herd, i havent bought any pony merch unless it was a lanyard from gamestop rewards :D imma wear it proud like an element of harmony

(edited)

If I was you in that store, I'd have picked up a toy and walked right passed him, and make sure I was in his sight while I was paying for it. laugh.png

I was in Asda once and they have a little shelf with some pony merchandise on it. Being 13, people find it even 'weirder' when I'm looking at that kind of stuff. What, did they expect me to be looking at the 18 rated video games or something? huh.png Anyway, my family was off somewhere else so I guess I was in the clear for a few more minutes (They don't know yet). Then, suddenly, this other family with a very young daughter come walking over. I moved up a bit so they could have some room and the girl reached for a brushable Princess Celestia and Pinkie Pie or something. I then glanced at her, smiled politely and said (In a friendly voice) "Oh, I like that one, too!". Her parents then pushed their daughter away giving me really worried looks like I was some kind of creep. I just looked away and went back to browsing.

Yeah, people are going to treat you weirdly for 'going against the flow' but my only advice is to act as friendly as you can and don't shy away, that usually just makes it worse.

Oh, and here's the particular toy I was talking about:

Edited by The Brainy Brony

Moral of the story: It's their job to look for suspicious persons and they know what signs to look for. You showed all the signs and it happened but in the end you proved your innocence. I always get nervous about bringing things through the tag detectors in stores cuz sometimes they go off even if you properly purchased everything but never look suspicious or try to look not suspicious as that makes you just as suspicious.

Nonchalance, the walk of the gods.

AWW!!! lol... Best story Ive heard so far ^_^... I would gladly get arrested for MLP ok not really... But still I am proud to be a brony and don't feel ashamed anymore to admit it! I think everyone should be proud and I am glad you stood up and told him that you are a glad brony too! PROPS to you!

AWW!!! lol... Best story Ive heard so far happy.png... I would gladly get arrested for MLP ok not really... But still I am proud to be a brony and don't feel ashamed anymore to admit it! I think everyone should be proud and I am glad you stood up and told him that you are a glad brony too! PROPS to you!

tongue.png Why would you be ashamed of it in the first place? I don't get why ANYONE would be ashamed. Ever. Being ashamed would imply that it's wrong or that it hurts other people. Silly humans. tongue.png

Oh im sorry are you talking to me? ...

I don't think anyone should be ashamed of being a brony cause there no rule saying you cant like mlp or being "normal" is not liking mlp ... Screw that for real... I am proud and i get laughed at but i dont even care... I reccommend mlp to everyone now.

I then glanced at her, smiled politely and said (In a friendly voice) "Oh, I like that one, too!". Her parents then pushed their daughter away giving me really worried looks like I was some kind of creep. I just looked away and went back to browsing.

Such a sad world we live in sad.png But really, an actual white Celestia? Who wouldn't love it laugh.png

As for the original post, good on you for telling the truth. Trying to brush it off as buying for your sister would probably just arouse more suspicion, since he was obviously used to people making excuses like that. I'm sure I would have been a shaking mess in that situation tongue.png 

I've never attempted the Pink Aisle Challenge, but I did go to Equestria Girls, and even with a massive herd of bronies there (seriously, it was like 30 or 40 of us) the clerk gave me a ticket to the wrong movie laugh.png Fortunately I checked it and got it switched, since the show sold out by the time we all got in there. Fun times :)

• Brohoof 2

DAT GUARD! LOL!

No seriously, that guy doesn't understand/has never heard of us, bronies. 

I really would have escaped that by telling him I was buying this for my sister, since I have one.

I cant believe you actually got questioned by a guard. And then he was asking questions about a sister. Its not like its really any of his business unless he is seeing you actually picking things up and trying to walk away with them. I still cant believe a guy actually came over and started questioning you like that.

I would have been slightly upset in my head if a pony confronted me about what I was buying. I would have answered the question with “I’m here to shop”. If an employee or another shopper asked then I would say that I’m there to shop and that it’s none of their business why. Harassing people because they are buying pink stuff is totally unacceptable.

This happened to me a few hours ago.

I live really close to a Target and when I get the opportunity, I occasionally like to drive over there to look at the MLP merchandise as well as the video games/electronics. So I drove over there, got a quick lunch from a nearby Taco Bell, and went inside Target.

Today when I went to my Target, there weren't many people there shopping. This is good thing because, well, I sorta get embarrassed when I'm strolling down the pink section if people see me there. However, the particular aisle where the MLP stuff is provides a clear view to the clerks working the electronics checkout area. This usually doesn't bother me, until I saw someone I kinda once knew from high school working there.

I pretended to not notice him and figured I could just look at the video game aisle first, since I was going to look at it anyways. I was nervous because I didn't want this guy to see me, remember who I am, and see me walk into the MLP aisle. For about 3 minutes I looked at all the overpriced video games Target was famous for while avoiding facing this guy.

Then, what appeared to come out of nowhere was a Target security guard who saw my nervous face. He gave me a suspicious look and kept walking past me. I was even more nervous now.

Finally, I grew a pair and decided just to walk into the pink section and not look back. Looking at the MLP merch, I finally felt at home, even if I still looked nervous from before. I touched an Applejack toy so see the back of the packaging, when the security guard came and behind me and asked, "What are you doing?"

I froze.

He proceeded to ask me in a suspicious tone, "What's wrong? Are you lost?" In hindsight, I should have said I was lost, because that would have explained my "nervous" look. Instead I said, "No, I'm not lost!" The guard looked at my person for a second and then asked, "What are you doing here then?" At that moment I remembered what some of you have said; That we should be proud and not ashamed to be bronies!

It was a bad time to all of the sudden show off my bronyism.

I then said, "I'm looking at cute ponies of course!" ohmy.png Doh! My answer appeared to be a lame excuse and a lie to the guard. He said even more suspiciously, "Really? Then I guess your buying it for your little sister? What's her name?" I replied that I was the youngest in my family and that I was buying it for myself.

Next, the guard just outright said it, "Okay sir, we think you are shop lifting. It says it all on your face."

I panicked. "I'm not shop lifting, I swear!" I then overturned my pockets and revealed my phone, wallet, and keys. The guard gave me one more look and laughed. "Haha, so you're seriously buying girl toys? You look like your 21!"

I regained my confidence and tried to justify why I was there. "Actually, I'm just looking. Look at how empty the rack is, it's because guys like me like to buy them!" (the rack where pony stuff usually goes was in fact, pretty bare)

The guard shook his head laughing and walked away.

I ended up just buying a MLP trading card pack and some batteries I needed for my keyboard.

I was probably never going to get arrested, but it felt like I was! Have you guys have anything like this happen to you?

well, looking shifty in a store really isn't the right way to go about things. but at the point of the shop lifting spiel i woulda just looked at him and told him that i collect merchandise and that i intended to buy it. thing is, i really don't buy the merchandise  cuz i'm more into the show than the actual merch, but my bottom line is just don't worry about it. i got friends that know i'm a brony and stuff and they bust my balls once and awhile (one tends to take the jokes too far sometimes tho). buy that toy and strut man!

I would have been a hell of a lot more upfront about it personally, but that comes from me never shying away from encounters if people get in my face.

I would have been like. "Excuse me? I was looking for something specific, thank you..and I HAVE money, right here."

and if questioned about who I was buying it, I would have said "Myself. I'm a fan of this little show and you have no idea how hard it is to find legitimate merchandise from where I'm at." then walked away.

Seriously, fuck false first impressions: I'm up for immediately disproving morons, especially if they're retarded employee/security guards that think you're shoplifting.

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...