Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

C.Discord's 'Creatures of the Everfree' Analysis Beastiary

NavelColt

Posted Image

The Everfree Forest is one of the more interesting locations in the world of MLP: FiM. For all intents and purposes, it is the only known place in Equestria that is 'outside' Celestia's rule, in the sense that ponies do not regularly make a habit of going in there at all, and have little influence on it's inhabitance. I decided today, while walking around at the park and waiting for my sister to be done what she was doing, to make a serious analysis of the forest's inhabitant creatures. This will easily be one of my longest posts to date <3

Please Note: You will find that some of these creature's explanations do contain some of my own personal head canon, since the show explains very, very little about them. However, my head canon is logically formed based on hints from the show, so it shouldn't be too far-fetched to believe. You know, hopefully :P

--

Posted Image

Parasprites
'Oh monster of so little size, is that a Parasprite before my eyes? Tales of crops and harvests consumed. If these creatures are in Ponyville... you're doomed.'

Deceitful by their charming and irresistible appearance, Parasprites are best explained as self-replicating locusts. Always ravenous, yet one of the smallest creatures of Everfree, the Parasprites' self-replicating abilities are tied with it's hunger. The more an individual Parasprite eats, the more it can replicate. This follows suit with each replicated Parasprite, as well. Being able to replicate asexually and rapidly in this manner can result in a swarm of Parasprites, all coming from a single parent Parasprite to begin with, within a few hours or less.

Despite being an A level pest that can eat an entire town's supply of food within no time at all, Parasprites are not harmful to ponies in the least. In fact, when they're individually content, they love nothing more than to sleep with, on or next to ponies. All in all, Parasprites and their individual appetites are harmless. They are a pest and a nuisance solely due to their insatiable self-replicating ability, that can run a town dry of food exceedingly fast.

Worthwhile note: Parapsrites are not unlike 'Tribbles' from the Star Trek series. Both are bizarre little creatures that are adorable in appearance, and even act affectionate, but take over and replicate dangerously quickly.

Extra:
by TheUlasht

--

Posted Image

Manticore
'A Manticore! We've gotta get past him!'

Half-lion, quarter-scorpion, quarter-dragon, the Manticore is the brute of the Everfree Forest. It's massive fangs and claws, backed with powerful limbs, can rip through almost any enemy that dare get in its way. Despite it's intimidating appearance however, a Manticore is only truly deadly when it is angered. Unfortunately, Manticores have a habit of being easily angered, and when it becomes such, it is libel to rampage and attack anything in it's path. Alternatively, a calm Manticore usually poses little threat to ponies, unless it is provoked. Whether being a large cat that prefers to mind it's own business, or a horrific beast bent on destruction, the Manticore is one of the larger and more battle-equipped creatures of the forest, and sits near atop the food chain.

Worthwhile note: The Manticore is fully capable of showing gratitude to those who aid it, and is even willing to allow them to do so. The creature's apparent intelligence is something that is still being studied.

Extra:
by TheUlasht

--

Posted Image

Cockatrice
'A cockatrice! It's a frightening creature with the head of a chicken and the body of a snake. Now, come on!'

The Cockatrice deserves the title of 'Scourge of the Everfree Forest' for more than one reason. Not only is this small but incredibly dangerous creature feared by every other living thing in the forest, but it is not even it's own sustainable species. A Cockatrice is only born when the egg of a chicken is accidentally incubated and hatched by a snake or toad, rendering the creature a freak of a nature that is rare in of itself. At birth, the Cockatrice is given the permanent ability to turn creatures to stone by making solid eye contact with them; it is for this reason that the Cockatrice is avoided like the plague by all creatures big and small.

Unlike the Manticore, which boasts tremendous power but only uses it when provoked, the Cockatrice is a small creature that bullies around other creatures, turning them to stone simply because it can. The creature is so dangerous that it has no natural predators, something that votes in it's favor, as it is a rare occurrence in nature. A typical Cockatrice's life-span is unknown.

Worthwhile note: The Cockatrice's petrifying gaze is not permanent. The creature has the ability to reverse the effect at will if it so desires, and the process can be negated and cancelled mid-way if the creature looses it's concentration.

Extra:
by TheUlasht

--

Posted Image

Timberwolves
'I turned, and there before me stood the Timberwolves! I've never run so fast in my life.'

The only existing predator in the Everfree to hunt in large packs, the Timberwolves are a danger to ponies, and like the Manticore, are near the top of the food chain. Made entirely out of enchanted wood, leaves and twigs, the Timberwolves are aggressive and incredibly territorial. Few other creatures outside dangerous loners like the Cockatrice would dare to tread into known Timberwolf territory. Whereas most other predators of the Everfree Forest are solitary hunters that do not pick out a precise section of the forest to regularly hunt, the Timberwolves, being pack animals, do.

Their existence in the forests surrounding the mountains of Canterlot and the Everfree Forest was first noticed before the founding of Ponyville, in which a mare picking Zap Apples was attacked by the beasts. Since that point, Princess Celestia deemed them a serious threat to pony-kind, and made it a priority to alter the territorial reach of the Timberwolves, to push them deeper into the Everfree Forest and away from the forest's edge, where they may have continued to attack ponies.

Worthwhile note: Though their hunting territory has been pushed back into the Everfree, the Timberwolves have been allowed to exit the forest seasonally, for when their howling is used as a sign for the coming of the Zap Apples.

--

Posted Image

Bog Hydra
'Is...that a...HYDRA!?'

Most of the Everfree Forest is just what the name implies; a forest. However, Froggy Bottom Bog is a less dense, and -usually- less dangerous place than the rest of the Everfree. But the bog is connected to the forest, and can thusly house danger as the forest itself. The Hydra exemplifies this fact better than any other creature, as it prefers the marshy bog, where it can hide underwater and stalk it's prey before attacking. Having an average of four heads, the creature has been known to have up to seven, and in rare cases, even nine. Each head possess it's own functional personality, and antics like laughing at another head's misfortune is commonly noted.

The Hydra is quite possibly the most dangerous solitary hunter in the Everfree, alongside the Cockatrice. It's completely massive and has multiple heads, all of which have razor-sharp teeth. The creature has the ability to strike with lightning speed just like a cobra, and will gleefully pursue it's prey for the sport of it, for quite some time, before it may lose interest.

Worthwhile note: The Hydra is known to possess a powerful odor that accumulates on it's body from living in the swamp's mucky water. This smell is the one and only tell-tale sign that a Hydra is stalking up from behind you.

Extra:
by TheUlasht

--

Posted Image

Ursa
'Wait, you brought this here? Are you out of your little pony minds!?'

The Ursa are a group of gigantic celestial bears, whose' fur resembles the night sky. Like cave dragons, which dwell all over Equestria, these bears usually haunt massive caverns located on the ground. Some Ursa will even use abandoned dragon caves as their own, and vice-versa. Ursa are split into two specific categories: Minor and Major.

Ursa Minor
Also known as Juvenile Ursa, these bears are usually shades of blue. They are very young, and are comparable to children and teenagers. Not dissimilar from Manticores, Ursa Minor's are easily angered, especially if they are awoken from sleep. They too will go on a rampage and attack anything in their way, regardless what it is or if it can fight back or defend itself. Ursa Juvenile's usually live with their parents: Ursa Majors.

Ursa Major
The largest beasts in all of Equestria, Ursa Majors can be the size of a small to moderately sized mountain. These creatures have absolutely no natural predators. Not even the largest of dragons will dare pick a fight with an Ursa Major, even if it was backed by several other adult dragons. Fortunately, these behemoths prefer the underground, and the insides of hollowed out mountains. While Ursa Minors may occasionally rampage outside in the open, Ursa Majors are usually not seen, for they rarely leave their caves.

Worthwhile note: Not much is known about Ursa's specifically, but it is believed they have a great deal of magical influence, something that their night-sky appearance hints towards.

--

Unoted Creatures:

Dragons: These creatures have been shown to live everywhere, and more specifically, the volcano region shown in the show. Call me lazy, but this is my excuse for not making them an entry.
Sea Serpents: Though listed as living in the Everfree, the only one we saw was sentient, could talk, and was sophisticated like ponies. Aka, not a wild animal per say. So again, my excuse for not listing them.
Phoenix, Windigoes, etc: Not listed as living in the Everfree Forest.

Hope everyone enjoyed <3 You may now commence with thoughts and feelings and whatnot.
  • Brohoof 10

Well this is embarrassing. But you have to admit, they are like basically the same thing, just different bodies and rationalities.

Indeed. The Cockatrice and Medusa both even share the ability to turn beings to stone with their gaze even after death. Medusa's severed head, for example, was used by Perseus to turn the sea monster to stone. The Cockatrice's severed head could still turn things to stone, too.

Very well done. A fine contribution to the brony community. You forgot dragon, though. Spike ran into one near the Everfree, didn't he?

Read the full post :3 I have notes at the bottom explaining why dragon isn't listed.

• Brohoof 2

Very well done. A fine contribution to the brony community. You forgot dragon, though. Spike ran into one near the Everfree, didn't he?

Read the bottom. It says:

Dragons: These creatures have been shown to live everywhere, and more specifically, the volcano region shown in the show. Call me lazy, but this is my excuse for not making them an entry.

I think that the Everfree forest is supposed to work like the "real world." we hear RD expressing astonishment in one episode because the clouds move themselves there, and fluttershy is amazed that the forest creatures take care of themselves.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think that the Everfree forest is supposed to work like the "real world." we hear RD expressing astonishment in one episode because the clouds move themselves there, and fluttershy is amazed that the forest creatures take care of themselves.

A nice point to bring up. I think those facts are just adding to the fact that it's a territory outside Celestia's rule, aka, true, unconquered wilderness. Dangerous creatures, self-working ecosystem and weather, etc. all points towards that. But comparing it to the real world certainly is an interesting idea :3

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

Indeed. The Cockatrice and Medusa both even share the ability to turn beings to stone with their gaze even after death. Medusa's severed head, for example, was used by Perseus to turn the sea monster to stone. The Cockatrice's severed head could still turn things to stone, too.

Read the full post :3 I have notes at the bottom explaining why dragon isn't listed.

Can the cocatrice's head really turn things into stone even when severed? For Medusa, a simple look in the eye will turn you into stone, but it seemed the Cocatrice had to trigger something in order for his abilities to work.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv13oTULTI4

As shown when he stones (haha, stones) the chicken, he stares at it in a certain way before it turns into stone, rather than just looking at it normally. Maybe I'm just being dumb since it's night and I'm tired, but idk. haha

Can the cocatrice's head really turn things into stone even when severed? For Medusa, a simple look in the eye will turn you into stone, but it seemed the Cocatrice had to trigger something in order for his abilities to work.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv13oTULTI4

As shown when he stones (haha, stones) the chicken, he stares at it in a certain way before it turns into stone, rather than just looking at it normally. Maybe I'm just being dumb since it's night and I'm tired, but idk. haha

I'm talking the myth of the Cockatrice itself throughout the ages :3 Hasbro's specific usage of the Cockatrice does not reflect all those myths to the key. Hasbro decided to have it actually have to focus and that's their choice, but that's something they made up for the sake of it fitting into their plot. In the actual myth, the Cockatrice's head worked just like Medusa. It took just a glance.

I'm talking the myth of the Cockatrice itself throughout the ages :3 Hasbro's specific usage of the Cockatrice does not reflect all those myths to the key. Hasbro decided to have it actually have to focus and that's their choice, but that's something they made up for the sake of it fitting into their plot. In the actual myth, the Cockatrice's head worked just like Medusa. It took just a glance.

Ahh okay. Me and my silly fantasies relating My Little Pony characters to their real life form xD. Anyway I'm gonna look up more about this Cockatrice.
  • Brohoof 2

Ahh okay. Me and my silly fantasies relating My Little Pony characters to their real life form xD. Anyway I'm gonna look up more about this Cockatrice.

Go back on Skype :P I can share some sick art of it with you and such x3 It's actually my favorite creature of this bunch, personally. Though I may have been corrupted in bias as 'Petrified', the song dedicated to it I linked to, is one of my favorite MLP fan music pieces ever <3

Two things...1. The "Sea Monster" Perseus used the severed Medusa's head on was (supposedly) the Kraken.

2. You're on Skype? (bluemansonic) what's your name?

Two things...1. The "Sea Monster" Perseus used the severed Medusa's head on was (supposedly) the Kraken.

2. You're on Skype? (bluemansonic) what's your name?

1: I know ^^ Simple word choice variation, no need to correct me.

2: Sorry, I don't add just anyone.

1: I know ^^ Simple word choice variation, no need to correct me.

2: Sorry, I don't add just anyone.

...technically neither "did" I but now that I'm 18 and I'm a Brony, I will add as many ponies as it takes until I get a decent recognition in the Brony Community as a somepony...plus I only have less than 10 Skype friends

...technically neither "did" I but now that I'm 18 and I'm a Brony, I will add as many ponies as it takes until I get a decent recognition in the Brony Community as a somepony...plus I only have less than 10 Skype friends

I'm nineteen :3 I only add people I talk to a lot already, and who I see myself talking to periodically due to a lot of similar interests. It's nothing personal, it's just me being picky. Now, if we could please stay on topic xP

I'm nineteen :3 I only add people I talk to a lot already, and who I see myself talking to periodically due to a lot of similar interests. It's nothing personal, it's just me being picky. Now, if we could please stay on topic xP

lol, k, I was just saying we do have alot in common (Discord is awesome) also my explaination before was about how I have little to no reputation in the Brony Community for anything except as an amateur voice acter, animater, recolor artist, pro gamer (or sort of, lost my skills after I got a job), and music artist. I really love the bios, it's just what caught my attention was the other posts, but right now, I'm reading more on the legitimate Cockatrice...again awesome bios.
  • Brohoof 1

This is very good. So many odd and different creators live in this forest. Makes you wonder what is going to emerge in season 3?

Thanks <3 And yeah, I really hope we not only get to see more new creatures that live in there, but maybe encounter some of the ones we've seen less of, again. For example, I would love for some of the main characters to get attacked by Timberwolves and have to fight them off, as they're pretty cool critters and they've only gotten maybe ten cumulative seconds of screen time, most of which was in Granny Smith's flashback from 'Family Appreciation Day'.

• Brohoof 1

This really needs more attention. 19 comments only? It needs like over 100! Since you put alot of hard work into it.

Eh, this is actually pretty good for me. I've got a few other discussion topics I've made in the past that haven't even got more than one or two people replying </3 What can ya do xD

• Brohoof 1

Eh, this is actually pretty good for me. I've got a few other discussion topics I've made in the past that haven't even got more than one or two people replying </3 What can ya do xD

Meh, people need to appreciate these things more often. I've liked all your work with the character bio's and such. Pretty awesome.

Very nice bio page for the creatures. There are so many strange combinations of animals in there it's actually makes you think, what the heck is going on with that forest's biology.

Very nice bio page for the creatures. There are so many strange combinations of animals in there it's actually makes you think, what the heck is going on with that forest's biology.

MY wonders is why Celestia and Luna with their awesome powers just go around banishing them to the... well idk wherever ponies or whatever are banished to. Or the M6 using their elements of harmony on the place.