Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

C.Discord's 'Creatures of the Everfree' Analysis Beastiary

NavelColt

MY wonders is why Celestia and Luna with their awesome powers just go around banishing them to the... well idk wherever ponies or whatever are banished to. Or the M6 using their elements of harmony on the place.

That I don't know... I think it's because the creatures of the Everfree are creatures that ponies know very little about. The only one that actually seems to know anything about the biology of the Everfree is Fluttershy.

That I don't know... I think it's because the creatures of the Everfree are creatures that ponies know very little about. The only one that actually seems to know anything about the biology of the Everfree is Fluttershy.

Well, I mean, two princess's and the M6 with their elements of harmony against a full grown dragon... I think the ponies would win... Since Twilight could handle an Ursa Minor all on her own.

Thanks <3 And yeah, I really hope we not only get to see more new creatures that live in there, but maybe encounter some of the ones we've seen less of, again. For example, I would love for some of the main characters to get attacked by Timberwolves and have to fight them off, as they're pretty cool critters and they've only gotten maybe ten cumulative seconds of screen time, most of which was in Granny Smith's flashback from 'Family Appreciation Day'.

Same here. It would be cool to see the Timberwolves again. Or bring in some other kind of new creator.

• Brohoof 1

I think that the Everfree forest is supposed to work like the "real world." we hear RD expressing astonishment in one episode because the clouds move themselves there, and fluttershy is amazed that the forest creatures take care of themselves.

Could the everfree be... Maybe in some part of everfree, you can get to Earth! And maybe in the Doldrums on Earth, you can get to Equestria!

This is a fantastic little bestiary you've put together, Chaotic. The show quote accompanying each species was a great touch that helped bring back memories of the moments when we first encountered the creatures as viewers.

FiM likes to give us the idea that the ponies are the stewards of their world, hand- hoofcrafting all of its weather, seasons, elements, and even the day/night cycle. The Everfree Forest has, however, been proven to "take care of itself" for lack of a better term; and Zecora hints that she is from "a faraway land".

This raises some pretty interesting questions about the planet Equestria, the Everfree Forest, and Zecora's homeland are on. With at least one known region that has pony-sustained biological systems and one known region that functions more like the real world, does Celestia's day/night cycle, for example, apply to the entire planet?

And all of these strange beasts in the forest... one must wonder if they ever venture out of there in hopes of snacking on an unsuspecting pony from time to time.

• Brohoof 1

That's a nice bio you threw together there, Discord. I am curious how long it took you to type all of that down and whether or not you typed that up all by yourself or did you take a few lines from the Wikipedias out there.

I can't wait to see what they put in the Everfree Forest in Season 3.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As to why the princesses and ponies don't try and banish the creatures of Everfree to Tartarus or what have you, it's probably due to two things:

A: It's more effort, time and risk than it's worth. It's not like there's only one of all these things, and it's not like once they banish one, or two, or three, they'll stop showing up. Timberwolves, manticores, dragons; they all assumedly give birth to more of their kind like most animals.

B: Just because they're monsters who can pose a threat to their subjects, that doesn't mean Celestia and Luna don't realize that at the end of the day (lol, sun goddess, end of the day, C wat eye did thar?) the monsters are just doing what is in their nature. It isn't the ponies' place to play god and decide what species deserve to live and what species deserve to die, just because they may be dangerous to them personally. We humans don't go around eradicating the black widow spider or rattle snakes, even though they can and quite often kill us. Ponies would be even less likely to do the same thing.

It's far easier to just keep them in the forest, and avoid encountering them. Equesteria -is- ideally about Harmony after all, I imagine Celestia would be far more likely to want to live in a status quo with the creatures of Everfree and just leave them alone to do their thing, doing her best to keep her subjects from occasionally getting in harms way.

This is a fantastic little bestiary you've put together, Chaotic. The show quote accompanying each species was a great touch that helped bring back memories of the moments when we first encountered the creatures as viewers.

FiM likes to give us the idea that the ponies are the stewards of their world, hand- hoofcrafting all of its weather, seasons, elements, and even the day/night cycle. The Everfree Forest has, however, been proven to "take care of itself" for lack of a better term; and Zecora hints that she is from "a faraway land".

This raises some pretty interesting questions about the planet Equestria, the Everfree Forest, and Zecora's homeland are on. With at least one known region that has pony-sustained biological systems and one known region that functions more like the real world, does Celestia's day/night cycle, for example, apply to the entire planet?

And all of these strange beasts in the forest... one must wonder if they ever venture out of there in hopes of snacking on an unsuspecting pony from time to time.

Thanks <3 And yes, as questions are answered or given possible answers, more open, that's for sure. I too really want to know about Celestia and Luna's influence globally. Thanks to the canon map we now know that Equestria does not encompass the entire planet, it's just a continent. Which means Celestia and Luna must control night and day for the entire world since there's only one moon and one sun, even though they only rule their one continent. Makes me wonder how they are viewed by leaders of other continents and regions of the world, like griffons, since it's these pony leaders who assumedly bring them night and day, as well. Maybe they all work together. Hmmmm. Interesting to ponder.

That's a nice bio you threw together there, Discord. I am curious how long it took you to type all of that down and whether or not you typed that up all by yourself or did you take a few lines from the Wikipedias out there.

I can't wait to see what they put in the Everfree Forest in Season 3.

Took me an hour or so, I think. But in real time it took closer to two hours, because I consistently took five minute breaks to do any number of other things as I multi-tasked. Everything in that bio is typed by me, nothing is from wiki's or anywhere online other than the quotes, obviously :3

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm...I thought dragons lived far far away, in the mountains/volcanoes, like in the episode where Spike follows the dragon migration? But thats a really nice bio you have there :)

They do. Ergo why I said this at the end:

"Dragons: These creatures have been shown to live everywhere, and more specifically, the volcano region shown in the show. Call me lazy, but this is my excuse for not making them an entry."

Thanks <3 Glad you found it useful and entertaining.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

Im not sure if this is necessary, but, how about the blackbirds from Family Appreciation Day? I think they come from the Everfree as well.

Black birds are just normal animals like rabbits and all of what Fluttershy takes care of. This is a beastiary, aka, monsters/mythological creatures, only :3 But it's interesting to point them out seeing as they were shown only for a short bit.

Can the cocatrice's head really turn things into stone even when severed? For Medusa, a simple look in the eye will turn you into stone, but it seemed the Cocatrice had to trigger something in order for his abilities to work.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv13oTULTI4

As shown when he stones (haha, stones) the chicken, he stares at it in a certain way before it turns into stone, rather than just looking at it normally. Maybe I'm just being dumb since it's night and I'm tired, but idk. haha

The writers put that in the show so that Fluttershy could be all badass and stare a cocatrice down. They took liberties with the mythology at times, to tell an interesting story or make a good joke. Like the dragons eating gemstones. It made more sense than to say they did that just because that's what dragons do.

Anyway, great profiles. Maybe you should make "Friendship is Magic" trading cards. Yeah, you could have pony cards, monster cards, location cards, item cards, and event cards. I am curious what the effect of a "20% cooler" card would be.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

This was a very interesting post. I've always found the Everfree Forest and its inhabitants to be fascinating, and I hope that the show will give us more details about them in the future. 

No, it's not actually ^^ The Cockatrice is an actual mythological creature, that's based back from Twelfth Century. You can read the Wikipedia article, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatrice

I actually never knew this. I used to think that the Cockatrice was a reference to a basilisk, but they made it look silly so that it wouldn't be frightening for the younger fans of the show. I didn't know that it was an actual mythological creature, that's cool. 

• Brohoof 1

This was a very interesting post. I've always found the Everfree Forest and its inhabitants to be fascinating, and I hope that the show will give us more details about them in the future. 

I actually never knew this. I used to think that the Cockatrice was a reference to a basilisk, but they made it look silly so that it wouldn't be frightening for the younger fans of the show. I didn't know that it was an actual mythological creature, that's cool. 

Same, I love mythology and its' critters; hope there's more in the future.

It's both :D The Cockatrice is sort of like a slightly more modern cousin to the Basilisk. The Basilisk was always depicted as a serpent or lizard in its' form usually, but its' basic form was always varied from myth to myth. The Cockatrice is -always- a chicken or rooster with the wings and tail of a dragon, usually x3 But, they have the same powers, and both are avoided by all other creatures because of them.

• Brohoof 1