Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you act differently in real life?

Shiki

Pretty easily understandable thread.

Personally, I act completely differently in real life compared to how I act on these forums. On here, I'm pretty cheerful and whatnot, and compared to real life, I'm very social. In real life, I don't talk to anyone, and I'm always getting these extremely negative thoughts in my head when I think about people. I'm actually pretty bitchy, for a lack of a better term.

I brought this up because there's a certain somepony on this forum who gets on my nerves, and I've been thinking very negatively about them and wishing unhappiness upon them, which is really strange for me. I feel pretty bad about it.

• Brohoof 3

I'm a little different on the internet. Obviously, I get to go a little crazier over the internet. In real life, I'm known as "that weird kid you have to love" by my family, friends peers, teachers, teammates and everyone. The only difference really is that I'm nicer over the internet. I don't why but I just am. In real life, I'm much less open to other opinions and I can quite the jerk.

I do act differently in real life because I have been far to afraid to be the "real me".... Most of my friends haven't seen me fully just wind down and be myself... It's depressing. I dont even speak the same way as when I am alone... Though that doesn't count as online. I am allot more... Well... Like hiding in a shell in real life. I am generally allot more out of the shell online etc. But this last year I have become more confident and what not and am starting to be more like myself in real life.

In real life I have very little social skills. I also have trouble getting along with people. I find it much easier to make friends online than in RL.

• Brohoof 2

i don't. i say what i want and do what i want (to some extent) and act the way i want. and i write how in the way i speak (in norwegian of course).

i actually get bullied for being badass and myself a hundred procent.

but that also (i'm sorry but i'm really fjern at the moment so my writing is fucked up) changes on who im around. i'm also very shy and get silent when i meet new people.

Edited by anonymstol

People here and in the skype see me as a super active, funny and a very talkative person. But irl I'm quiet and more of a listener than talker. I'm also quiet shy especially when my friends bring me to a party or when we meet new guys and talk with them. I'm not being shy with my friends but with strangers I don't know D:
  • Brohoof 1

I'm very different on the internet compared to real life. On the internet I'm very social I try to make people laugh I try to get into whatever big is going on and I try to make lots of friends. In real life I'm just a lonely person who only has one friend he can visit... I do have lots of friends though. I've just moved away from just about all of them sadly... ;(

I hope that somepony isn't me. :/

That said, not much different. Here, I probably come off as negative kind of like in real life (or maybe it's just my avatar :P). In real life, I come off as an aloof, quiet, weird, antisocial and nerdy girl that doesn't go to parties every Saturday like everyone else. I have a hard time putting things into words, and I can be funny at times. My peers respect me but they say crap behind my back and my family -- except immediate family -- thinks I'm strange, so I'm a bit paranoid.

And I have trouble making friends, even on the internet... I do have a few friends in real life though.

Edited by cleva
  • Brohoof 1

Quite different. Online, I'm kind of an asshole. In real life, I'm pretty shy, unless I'm with friends. Then I act like a goofy spazz.

well i try not to act too differently.

however i kind tone down my rage at times because there are certain topics like the derpy fiasco, and how i will defend my love for Aquaman to the death.

but yeah im just as random here as i am in RL

Well tbh I'm not that different than irl. If anything I'm more timid on this forum because I don't want to get a bad rep. I want to get to actually know you guys but irl if someone says something to me like an insult I will make sure they hear me. I do this because tbh when are you ever going to see that guy again or at least recognise him? He's a complete stranger. Around my friends and family though I'm not as outgoing because, like on this forum, I want a good rep.

In real life I'm very reclusive, I usually do not speak to other people excluding family; and when I do speak to other people outside of family I usually try to keep the conversation as short as possible. I just find talking to people I don't know very awkward.

In the real life, I believe I'm the same old annoying bastard you will find on the internet, only with a different label.

I found it's difficult to make new friends, I talk about weird stuff all the time, I swear a fucking lot. Yeah, almost nothing different

• Brohoof 1

I haven't been here very long, so I haven't gotten comfortable enough to really let my online personality show. Because of that I probably reflect my quiet, hesitant real self fairly well. Elsewhere on the Internet a lot of people mistake me for a confident extrovert because I like joking around so much and always speak my mind - as soon as I'm feeling sure of my surroundings. I express myself better through text, too.

Edited by Cakesplat

I think everyone acts a bit different in the internet. It's a completely different enviroment, where you can just type instead of speaking words. Not to mention the oh-so-glorious anonymity...

I, myself, am a lot more shy in real life. I can mostly act like a retard depending on the situation too, while in the internet I can take my time to be careful with that.

• Brohoof 1

Somewhat.I'm pretty socially awkward in real life with people I'm not very familiar with,on here I pretty much talk to everyone (:

Doesn't everyone wish unhappiness on people they don't like?

The way I act online is pretty much the same as the way I act in real life (kind, open minded, throw in a few jokes every now and then). I'm also the only person I know that doesn't swear at all.

The only difference is that I'm a little more outgoing online than I am in real life and sometimes I seem a little more intelligent online than irl due to the fact that it usually takes me a while to come up with an intelligent comeback. :P

Edited by Demiurge

It depends. When I'm with people I like, I act just like in the internet. but when I'm with people I don't know/like I am much more reserved and less talkative. This is the result of my social anxiety - I sometimes don't know how to behave in some social situations, which is the result of my constant isolation, which is the result of my strongly introverted character.

I think the main difference between me in real life and me on the internet is that in real life it is easier for people to practice active avoidance than it is here. The barriers to starting a conversation etc are higher.

The internet itself is an odd animal in that people do come here to talk and listen to each other. There really isnt as much of a "social place" in real life.

I'm very quiet and reserved IRL. I never really meet anyone I'd like to talk with... and, well, I don't really talk with anyone online either. I just post stuff and see what happens. I suppose that counts as social interaction.