Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Modern teens and what you think of them?

Lunalicious

I'm a "modern" teen (18) Not all of us are bad, clearly, but as a whole, they're pretty awful.

Seems they'd rather brag about partying/drinking/smoking than do anything positive for society.

So there.

They're basically exactly like I was as a teen, and the teens before that, and the teens before that.  When I managed a produce department, most of the staff I hired were teenagers, and I went through a ton of staff in a period of three months.  I had the nerdy ones, the quiet ones, the ones who where into sports, one emo girl, guys into metal, wanna be Gs, like everything you could imagine.  It reminded me of high-school all over again, and it was fun sometimes.

The ones who worked the best were actually the ones who weren't socially inept, but they fooled around a lot more.  The quiet introverted ones called in sick more, and where usually not as strong, so they had a harder time culling and moving stock, but they always worked and never messed around.  I would get the quiet ones to do ordering and sometimes manage meetings, and I would get the tough guys to do most of the labor, and I would even put them in charge because they commanded a bigger presence, but the risk was high, I had to make sure I laid it down.  

What I'm worried about is the worsening of their diets, the lack of almost any exercise, and the rise in portable technology.  Our soil keeps getting worse and worse, and we keep relying more and more on synthesized chemicals to feed our nations, the rise in technology almost nullifies a lot of the motivation to go out and run, it's funner to play online games than run around the block chasing your friends dressed up as power rangers, or playing in the leafs in the fall.  These things combined WILL in fact kill these young people faster, and we will start seeing a rise in the major western diseases at younger and younger ages if it continues.  That's what I'm concerned about. 

Edited by Deesinn

I'm a teen myself,but there's a difference between me and those punks.

I'm a good kid.

I'll describe what the teens at my school do and talk.

• Stick their gum everywhere. (So gross and unsanitary)
  • Litter (Just plain rude.)
  • Talk like wannabe gangstas. (Example:"Shit,nigga,that bitch got in my face,so I knocked the shit out of him. I was about to take out my knife and stab the fucker.")  (I swear I can't hear one sentence from them without a cuss word in it.)
  • Act like their high. (I'm not surprised if they are)
  • Sag their pants.   (*shudders* "Dude,put that thing away,there are like,children here.")
  • Write on the tables.

Pretty much all I can think of.

Also.

This will always be a real gangster.

capone.jpg

Point is,modern teens are awful and disrespectful.

• Brohoof 2

Not all modern teens are bad, but some of the teens we have these days are spoiled and rotten in which we thought that they could be our future but I don't think they are our future just yet.

Despite the good number of teens that are morons and rebelliant, there are also some that can be well raised for the better like me.

The problem is nowadays, teens do whatever they want to be cool and gangster like, which is a terrible example to show others.

That, and I also blame mainstream, media, and parents.

• Brohoof 2

I am one!

But, the majority of modern teens are wannabes, idiots, jocks (oh sorry have I offended you? If I have, you should know that you deserved it) or a combination thereof. Disrespectful, show disdain towards a lot of things, immature, stupid, and bigoted.

I am a teen. I believe that most of modern teens are ignorant, and completely misinformed. Most of the teens I see that live around my area, try to act as if they are gangsters, when really we live in one of the most old fashioned, rural, drive one hour to get to the dollar store villages in  Canada.

I'm a teen myself, and while I can't say I agree with modern culture I also can't say I think judging somebody just on their age is a good idea.

I actually haven't seen any real "jerks" in my time but that's probably because I live in a relatively small tight-knit community.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

Teenagers are the same as they always have been. Stupid, confused, and trying to figure out what kind of person they want to be. Every generation has their share of good and bad teenagers. The only difference is that this generation is more connected electronically. 

I see a lot of people here have such disdain for their peers, and that just makes me sad. Especially since most of this just seems to be based on assumed appearances.

Edited by AyoMistadurrk

Don't really care about them I think that most modern teens are a bit awkward. I have never really socialized too much with other teens and often I feel like I have an easier time talking with kids and adults that is if I have to talk to them. For the most part I simply don't care about modern teens but there are a few individuals that are cool.

I just don't understand the appeal of most things teenagers do, but then again I was kind of isolated so I didn't really go through that teenager phase.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

I hate my peers.

I'm not making pre-concieved judgments here, it's just they are not at all accepting to anything different from their/society's standards and stereotypes.

For an example, if a kid came out in my class, they'd all hate him/her; even though they haven't changed, but the fact that they like the same sex does make them a completely different person?

I can't really be open about me liking ponies, I tried to do that with Minecraft and nobody liked that either, the fact that I feel oppressed not to express my joy of loving something gives you an indication of the environment and the current age I'm residing in. 

I mean, my generation does have its exceptions; my friends are probably more accepting than everypony. They're the only people who accept me for liking ponies, liking youtube a bit too much, loving rock music, and being someone who practically everyone in my year would vouch to murder; because as aforementioned, I'm 'different' and therefore I am considered lethal to their social environment.

Also, earlier on today, some first years were having a scrap in the mess hall, when I was their age, I would probably cry if I walked into a fourth year, never mind attempted to fight with one.

I also think that the younger generation (11/12/13) are growing up way too fast. They're wearing make up, fake tan and short skirts at their age to try and please the opposite sex, even though when I was that age, a boyfriend/girlfriend was the last thing on my mind.

They also complain so much. They don't understand how hard life gets once you get past third year/when they leave school. 

The current generation is different to the generations prior; they are mainly gossip-driven and very materialistic in comparison to generations prior. I want to know what the future will hold- but I also don't.

I'm 17 here. Alright, all I've really seen posted on this thread is a bunch of people (other teens included) bitching about how much they hate this generation of teens. Stop it. Just because you think partying, getting wasted, or doing drugs is a stupid thing to do doesn't make you any better than them. Their growing up, and instead of wasting their youth away watching a tv show for little girls, they decided to have a good time by doing reckless things they've never been able to do before. So what if they care about being popular? That's their choice to make, and it doesn't make them any stupider for wanting to be accepted by their peers (in fact, it's pretty normal). It's all part of learning how to be an adult.

Calling them "swaggots" doesn't help. Maybe you need to realize that they're into things you're not. 

The youth from any other generation has gotten just as much hate, and grew up to be adults who pushed their problems back onto the next generation, who they in turn hated. 

It isn't just teens of today; this trend has been going on for a very long time. it's just how most teenagers are, they have a mob mentality. It's kind of sad you can't smack some sense into them no matter how hard you try. They simply have to figure out on their own, that they don't have to look and act like everyone else to be happy. They make bad decisions that can change their lives forever, and generally it is these that snap them out of their mindless drone-like following and force them to become their own person.

Partly this. We have quotes going back to Socrates complaining of very similar things.

As for my own perspective? I find it silly to make judgments of an entire group in such an anecdotal manner - for a number of reasons:

1. Some things (such as violence and teen pregnancy) related to 'kids today' can be measured objectively through the use of things like crime statistics and victim surveys. However, many things, such as rudeness for an example, are difficult, if not impossible to objectively measure and extrapolate to a general population.

2. As a general rule, we are more likely to remember events that are novel and events that are negative (the latter of which is called 'negativity bias', which can be read about here). To give you a personal example, I used to go to a high school with over 800 kids. At any time, there could be large crowds milling about between classes, yet I only "knew" a small group of about 40, if that.  Within that group, I can remember about 8 who met a lot of the stereotypes presented here - there were a pair of twins who were always on their phones, a guy who loves to party and get laid, a couple of guys who tried to bully me (and weren't very successful) and assorted classroom miscreants. The events they caused were significant and rather annoying - it would be very easy for me to claim from these examples that 'teens are like this'. However, realistically I can't conclude either way for a number of reasons. As I previously mentioned, I only would've known a very small number of people in my school. Further, I have no way of knowing what young people are like outside of my school region. Additionally, I don't know how they act outside of school or in other social settings - meaning that school life doesn't necessarily accurately reflect someone's character as a whole.

3. I feel this point is a little... tenuous however, I'll put it out there anyway. Generally, if one defines something as a bad, I would propose that it must be defined against something (that is to say, x is bad in comparison to y). In the case of 'dem young'uns, this comparison (in my experience) is usually made against an idealised version of 'the good old days' or against the conduct of the individual making the claim. What needs to be noted is that both of these motives are (consciously or not) self-serving to the one making the claim. That is to say, they get to feel good about themselves because they position themselves as part of a 'better clique'. This is not to say that anyone who does this is automatically wrong, or indeed that everyone who makes this claim is doing this. However, if one's opinion is based on anecdotes and this motivation is in effect, it is likely to skew the accuracy of one's judgements even further (especially when one considers the effect of Confirmation Bias). 

As a final note, this is not to deny the existence of social problems. Rather, my purpose was to explain some potential problems with judging a group based on anecdotal evidence.

• 5 years later...

I haven't seen any teens in a long time, so I don't know. I can guess though.... They are always on their cell phones? They talk loudly, and wear too much perfume? Yea, pretty much my guess of a modern teen.

• Brohoof 2

People are people, so the same question could be applied to any demographic. Each has its own interests, style and personalities; not all of them good to the average onlooker. Different life stages teach different things and prepare people for the next step, and the next. One isn’t necessarily better than another, just different and possessing of different priorities. I know some teens that are among the best people I’ve ever met. It’s all good. 

• Brohoof 1

As someone who very recently turned 20 and lost my teenagehood, and someone who likes track suits, uses slang sometimes, I gotta say I ain't a nasty person or was a bad teen, I mean stereotyping a massive group of people as 'gangster angry teens who know no better' is pretty silly whenever I see people do it, being young in general just leads to actual Boomers (I do mean the literal baby boom people) just blanket statement attacking ALL young people and up voting and liking the most stupid comics, like the 'Teens these days don't know what colour the sky is' crap.