Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite DS Games

mR.dErP893

Well that"s a matter of opinion, since I thought Dawn of Sorrow was better than Portrait of Ruin, but I have yet to play OoE(and I plan to), so we'll see. :P

Yeah, I know most people liked DoS, but personally, I can't stand it. Story was fine, but gameplay bugged me. It seemed like the solution for every problem was "farm souls, get better weapons, level up, farm souls, and did I mention that you need to farm souls?"

Contrast that with OoE, where you have to be able to know how to dodge, recognize attack patterns, and take advantage of weaknesses. You have to do quests before better items and equipment even become available for sale and they aren't cheap, so you cant just go stock up on high potions and tank hits. Just leveling up or getting better glyphs will only get you so far if you can't keep from getting hit. And the hard mode. Oh dear god, OoE hard mode. It's like an orgy of skill and awesomeness :)

Yeah, I know most people liked DoS, but personally, I can't stand it. Story was fine, but gameplay bugged me. It seemed like the solution for every problem was "farm souls, get better weapons, level up, farm souls, and did I mention that you need to farm souls?"

Contrast that with OoE, where you have to be able to know how to dodge, recognize attack patterns, and take advantage of weaknesses. You have to do quests before better items and equipment even become available for sale and they aren't cheap, so you cant just go stock up on high potions and tank hits. Just leveling up or getting better glyphs will only get you so far if you can't keep from getting hit. And the hard mode. Oh dear god, OoE hard mode. It's like an orgy of skill and awesomeness :)

Sounds great, can't wait till I get around to it, I always heard it was more challenging and that all sounds appealing to me. :D

The DS will likely always be my favorite handheld, probably because I've had one since I was I was in 4th grade. My favorite games, in no particular order:

- Advance Wars: Dual Strike! It's just the best handheld strategy game I've ever played.

- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass! An excellent scaling down of a WInd Waker-style Zelda, and way better than Spirit Tracks, IMO

- Elite Beat Agents and Rhythm Heaven! 2 incredibly fun rhythm games, each with quirky humor and finely-tuned gameplay, but still unique in their own ways.

-The original Phoenix Wright trilogy, particularly the third one! The first, fourth, and fifth cases all connect to make one of my favorite stories in any video game, ever.

Edited by Pony Joe

• 2 months later...

Mario Kart DS. I PLAYED THAT GAME SO MUCH OH MY GOD LIKE A MILLION HOURS. Until I got Mario Kart Wii, THEN I PLAYED THAT SO MUCH OMG OMG OMG. But yeah, Mario Kart DS, not competition there.

My favorite DS games are Pokemon Diamond, HeartGold, Black, Black Version 2 and then Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing Wild World.

Pretty sad that in the end it came out to all Pokemon titles yet again. Mario Kart DS I just remember being fun. Animal Crossing Wild World is not actually a title I would count among my favorites, but I did play it a lot. It's just that compared to the GCN version, Wild World was quite a disappointment.

New Super Mario Bros., the two Zeldas, the two Scribblenauts, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Mario Kart DS, WarioWare DIY, Rhythm Heaven... the list goes on. I'm not sure if I have a favorite. But the ones listed are definitely high on the list.

Mmm, my DS Collection is sorely lacking since I tend to buy PS2 and PS3 games most often but some of my favorites are:

Megaman Zero Collection

Mario All-Stars 3: Bowser's Inside Story

Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure

Dragon Quest IX

The World Ends With You

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and Re: Coded

Kirby Super Star Ultra

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia

Any Pokemon game is by far my favourite for the DS, but there are others ones that are pretty amazing to.

Super Mario Bros is definitely a great game As is Mario Kart. Those games are just plain amazing. The Animal Crossing games are good to.

• 11 months later...

Mine is probably Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. It's a really fun game with great graphics that keeps me entertained for hours.

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's basically where you create your own little character and they're a Celestrian, who are guardian angels that watch over the mortal land. One day your character loses their halo and wings and is beamed down to earth where they have to do good deeds for different cities and towns in order to gain benevolence.

It's really good. I love it so much. biggrin.png

I have other favourites besides that one: Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs and Super Scribblenauts.

Oh and in case you're wondering, my DS is a Nintendo DS Lite. I don't care if I'm not up to date. I can't be bothered with all that 3DS and 2DS shit.

Edited by Flipturn

I got a DS mostly for the Castlevania games, Starfox Command and the Ace Attorney games. If I had to choose one though, I'd probably be the first Ace Attorney

Well I really like Mario Kart DS, it's a game I played a lot when I were younger. The game is really fun. I prefer it over the N64 version. HATE ON ME ALREADY.

Also, Metroid Prime Hunters is a really fun game for the DS. It had a lot of awesome things in it. I love the way the game is built. The multiplayer is amazing too.

metroid-prime-hunters.jpg

Last but not least... Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. These games are a lot of fan. I mean.. They are Pokémon games so what would you expect. I wish I could say Pokemon SoulSilver and HeartGold but I haven't played those. I'm trying to get them asap happy.png

Edited by Jokuc

The Pokémon games are certainly my favorite- they got better every release imo, and Gen 5 is just amazing all around. Other than that, 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is probably a close second to them for me, plus there's stuff like the Castlevania games, Final Fantasy remakes, Metroid Prime Hunters, Scribblenauts, Meteos, Custom Robo Arena, Scribblenauts, Chrono Trigger, Contra 4, Mario Kart and the Zelda games which I all really enjoyed, plus there's still some things I want to play for it like the Ace Attorney games- you can't go wrong with anything in the DS's library really, I know I've even forgotten a ton of things. :o

I had a DS for a while but I did not get too invested in it unfortunately. My favorite DS game would have to be Mario Kart DS. I mostly played Gameboy advance games like F-Zero GP and such when I had it. lol

Pokemon Diamond was my most played game, though once I beat it I kinda stopped playing it.  Mario Kart kinda took over after that.    I'm a big fan of DS games.  I haven't played it in such a long time though. 

Mine is probably Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. It's a really fun game with great graphics that keeps me entertained for hours.

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's basically where you create your own little character and they're a Celestrian, who are guardian angels that watch over the mortal land. One day your character loses their halo and wings and is beamed down to earth where they have to do good deeds for different cities and towns in order to gain benevolence.

It's really good. I love it so much. biggrin.png

I have other favourites besides that one: Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs and Super Scribblenauts.

Oh and in case you're wondering, my DS is a Nintendo DS Lite. I don't care if I'm not up to date. I can't be bothered with all that 3DS and 2DS shit.

Just letting you know that we already have a thread for favourite DS games. I've merged your topic with it, so that all the responses are in the same thread.

Please use the search feature in the future :)

My favorite game was Kirby Super Star Ultra, but I stupidly traded my copy to someone a few months ago. It was a remake of the SNES version, but it kinda felt like a new game to me.

I also enjoyed Warioware: DIY, Mario Kart, and the classic Sonic collection (I can't remember what it was called exactly). On a side note, I need to play Metroid Prime Hunters sometime. 

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (well, all the Professor Layton games, but Unwound Future in particular) would definitely be my favorite. I love this game so much, mainly due to the story. And music. And the puzzles. Oh, I just like everything about it. It's one of my favorite games of all time, after all.

I also really like Pokemon White, Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Range: Shadows of Almia.

- Pokemon Platinum

- Pokemon Pearl

- Pokemon HeartGold

- Pokemon White2

- Pokemon Black

- Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

- Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

- Petz: Catz Clan

- Purr Pals

- Nintendogs

I played original D.S a lot in Middle School. X3

WP_20131111_005.jpg

Metroid Prime Hunters: This game was the shit during middle school. Singleplayer is a bit meh and not exactly rewarding, but the multiplayer... it's probably the best multiplayer game I've played on the DS aside from Mario Kart DS. During middle school I'd have these mini-tournaments with my friends (who also had their own copies of the game) and generally had a blast with the multiplayer. Very fun game imo.

Final Fantasy III: This was my first Final Fantasy game and also one of the first non-Pokemon RPGs I played from start to finish. The orchestral soundtrack is damn good, the game is challenging without being too ridiculously hard and the battle mechanics, just barely changed from the original 1990 Famicom game, are very complex for their time, with the job system and all. Victory music is also catchy. One thing I'll never get is why the game gives you gil and experience after you beat the final boss... YOU BEAT THE GAME, WHY DO YOU NEED MONEY AND EXPERIENCE?

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings: I'll be honest here, I never played Final Fantasy XII. However, this is the only RTS that kept my interest for an extended period of time.

Super Mario 64 DS: It's Super Mario 64, but expanded. Controls are a bit wonky due to the D-Pad instead of an analog stick (like the original N64 game), but it expands upon the game's and gameplay really well imo. It also has more readable text than the original N64 game.

Final Fantasy IV: The cutscenes are wonderfully acted and animated, the game is also challenging without being too hard (okay, maybe the very end gets ridiculous) and it adds in content cut from the original SNES game. It's also not as ridiculously censored as the original American version, retitled Final Fantasy II.

New Super Mario Bros.: Although I'm not really excited about later NSMB games, the original is a solid 2.5D platformer with tight controls, well-designed levels and a fair learning curve. It also doesn't have that dumb Super Guide thing from later NSMB games wherein the game basically beats itself if you die too many times... that's just BS, Nintendo.

Not pictured, but still worth mentioning: Mario Kart DS and Chrono Trigger. MKDS because the multiplayer is fun as hell and it's Mario Kart, and Chrono Trigger because... it's Chrono Trigger but with less censorship and a more faithful translation, do I really need to explain it?