Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are so many people arachnophobic?

Tol'Satha

Most domestic spiders are harmless, but i guess this depends on where you live. Here in Croatia there are no poisonous spiders at all as far as i know. In Australia, anything that moves can probably kill you in a few minutes.

There are poisonous spiders, but MOST are harmless.

Yeah I live in Australia and we have soooo many deadly animals.... But odds are you will never see one in your entire life..... They are sooooo uncommon... all the dangerous spiders, snakes etc are found in unihabited places (out in the bush/desert).. and they are all generally pretty timid.. :huh: and wont attack unless provoked....

So yeah most deadly animals in the world and 95% of the population never even encounter any of them.. ever ;)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I live in Australia and we have soooo many deadly animals.... But odds are you will never see one in your entire life..... They are sooooo uncommon... all the dangerous spiders, snakes etc are found in unihabited places (out in the bush/desert).. and they are all generally pretty timid.. :huh: and wont attack unless provoked....

So yeah most deadly animals in the world and 95% of the population never even encounter any of them.. ever ;)

yeah, if you heard they made a song about our "wonderful wildlife" its funny with things so deadly, its amazing we havent got lives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_TB6onHVE

• Brohoof 1

Well I just shrieked at the sight of that photo and well spiders are just pretty scary. I mean spiders are are a huge threat, they could bite you and spread venom inside you. Honestly I've never been bitten by a spider and I'm not planning to get bitten. It just makes me shiver thinking if a spider went into my room and laid eggs all over the place.

They have a connotation with being poisonous and hard to see. These are the reasons why I'm wary of them, but I don't really fear them

I also don't believe 50% and 10% of women and men have arachnophobia. From my understanding a phobia is a deathly fear of something, and I don't believe so many people are afraid of spiders that they would be paralyzed by that fear. At least I would hope not.

Spiders are scary because you wake up in the middle of the night and you see one on your ceiling and you know that the second you go back to sleep that thing is going to fall on your face. Bugs in general are pretty creepy, and very unwelcome in my house, you hear that bugs I'm getting the Orkin man so STAY OUT!!!Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

I don't see what the big deal is about spiders. Seriously. You never see anyone that is afraid of mosquitos. Is it the webs that cause people to be afraid? Is it because some of them are deadly and poisonous? Idk, but I say just let them be. They won't harm you if you ignore them.

|--(0)--|

techno915

Spiders are scary because you wake up in the middle of the night and you see one on your ceiling and you know that the second you go back to sleep that thing is going to fall on your face. Bugs in general are pretty creepy, and very unwelcome in my house, you hear that bugs I'm getting the Orkin man so STAY OUT!!!Posted Image

See the spider in this picture is only a Hunstman.... they are proably the least dangerous spider in Australia.... They are big sure.... but thats it.... other than that they are harmless.... Its the fat ass funnel webs and redbacks and whitetails and stuff.... that are the dangerous and evil little bastards........ Welcome to the Australian Outback everyone.... The **** here will kill you ;)

• Brohoof 1

See the spider in this picture is only a Hunstman.... they are proably the least dangerous spider in Australia.... They are big sure.... but thats it.... other than that they are harmless.... Its the fat ass funnel webs and redbacks and whitetails and stuff.... that are the dangerous and evil little bastards........ Welcome to the Australian Outback everyone.... The **** here will kill you ;)

Of course it's harmless, but if I saw that on my wall I'd have a heart attack!! I won't even get near a spider without my vacuum cleaner.

I remember a time when the only fear I had was losing my mom. I was very young. Now, I freak out if there's a spider near me or touching me. I can't stand any insects, either. Yes, even moths and butterflies send me running if they fly too close. If they keep their distance, I'm usually okay. Above everything else, I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really dislike fish and centipedes. I can't even swim in a lake(I live in Minnesota-11,842 lakes here), or visit the aquatic building at the zoo. Centipedes are pretty self-explanatory, I think. They pop up out of nowhere and charge straight at you. :(

Of course it's harmless, but if I saw that on my wall I'd have a heart attack!! I won't even get near a spider without my vacuum cleaner.

Oh I agree the initial shock of seeing that thing would scare we half to death...... But give me a minute and I would get a book and go squish it or something..... But if it was a smaller, fatter and black spider (All the dangerous ones) I would probably have to burn my house down.... just to make sure it dies....

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DON'T POST PICTURES LIKE THAT.

I hate them. I don't know if it's a phobia but I tense up when I see one and freak out. I HAVE to kill it.

Have to.

• Brohoof 1

Oh I agree the initial shock of seeing that thing would scare we half to death...... But give me a minute and I would get a book and go squish it or something..... But if it was a smaller, fatter and black spider (All the dangerous ones) I would probably have to burn my house down.... just to make sure it dies....

I wouldn't squish it because then I would have giant spider all over my wall, and I am not cleaning that up. I would just go get a bigger vacuum.

I wouldn't squish it because then I would have giant spider all over my wall, and I am not cleaning that up. I would just go get a bigger vacuum.

That too would work..... I now have alot to think about..... I have to re-think my entire spider battle plan now..... :huh:

Dammit you have ruined everything..... ^_^;) hahaha but yeah.... good idea ^_^

Well I'm not scared of spiders. Ok maybe certain ones I am, such as the poisonous ones like Black Widows and Brown Recluses that I see sometimes. However, and spider lovers beware, my one mission in life is to kill every spider I see. Ok maybe not my one mission, but if I ever see a spider it will die when I get the chance to smack it, hit it, or stomp on it.

I think the reasons that so many people (myself included) are afraid of spiders, as opposed to so many other creatures, or heck, occurrences out there, are that spiders look and move very unnaturally compared to humans, can be dangerous, and can basically show up anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE!!!! No one ever worries about a lion being in the garage, or a shark in the shower, but people STILL check underneath toilet lids to see if there are spiders underneath, because realistically, they can be and are EVERYWHERE!!!! There could even be one... on my forehead... RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!! *looks* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Posted Image

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

I think that people find them scary because of the way they look. 8 Legs, big(or small), very creepy crawly. I have no problem with common house spiders, but if you bring me even, close to a tarantula, I will scream like a little girl.

I think the reasons that so many people (myself included) are afraid of spiders, as opposed to so many other creatures, or heck, occurrences out there, are that spiders look and move very unnaturally compared to humans, can be dangerous, and can basically show up anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE!!!! No one ever worries about a lion being in the garage, or a shark in the shower, but people STILL check underneath toilet lids to see if there are spiders underneath, because realistically, they can be and are EVERYWHERE!!!! There could even be one... on my forehead... RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!! *looks* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats probably the most resonable explanation so far. Humans tend to be afraid of things they dont recongize or understand, and spiders are quite alien. Then again, so are many other things and we arent afraid of them. I believe there is something specific about spiders that makes people fear them. Not quite sure what though...

• Brohoof 2

I love spiders, which is a problem because my mom and both sisters are arachnophobes. No pet spider for me, and they make me kill them when they're inside. I try to let them go outside if I can get away with it, though.

We have these. Beautiful orb-weavers here, they're usually orange, but have all these cool designs that makes them look amazing.

The only thing I don't like about spiders is when you walk into a web, because you feel it and for a few seconds, you're freaking out and going "holy shit what's on my face what's on my face get it off now" and then you realize, oh, it's just a spider web. But even once you come to your senses and realize nothing's wrong, they're still damn near impossible to completely get off :(

Now, wasps and bees I hate. I'm not really scared of them, but wasps are kill-on-sight for me, if at all possible and there isn't a huge nest. Bees, I begrudgingly let live because the pollinate stuff. Unless they land on me, then they are destroyed.

The only bees I like are those fat black ones that burrow because they're so cute :)

• Brohoof 1

I have three friends that are deathly afraid of spiders but I have worked with them. When they saw a spider they would freez up and do nothing. What I got them to understand is that they are 50 times larger than it, and 50 times stronger, so that when they see one they have have the sense to smash it with something.

I find spiders interesting and if they are outside I will leave them alone, but I don't like any bugs around me, and I'll kill them without hesitation.

a spider like that one wouldn't kill you, or really try to go out its way to harm you. it's big, but you are bigger than it. it's more afraid of you than you are of it, and it wouldn't intentionally drop down on your face and stay there for long. because you're a huge, warm creature of meat that could kill it so easily given the chance. same applies for most spiders, really.

Well I just shrieked at the sight of that photo and well spiders are just pretty scary. I mean spiders are are a huge threat, they could bite you and spread venom inside you. Honestly I've never been bitten by a spider and I'm not planning to get bitten. It just makes me shiver thinking if a spider went into my room and laid eggs all over the place.

see? you've never been bitten by a spider, yet fear being bitten and getting venom inside you. the chances of that happening are like, so very, very slim. unless you'd corner the bugger and approach it closely it'd bit you, through self-defence, and, even then, it would most likely be a dry bite, i.e. no venom gets shot out into your veins.

of course, i can understand your arachnophobia. hell, i have it, too, but i'd like to get away from it. for example, a really small spider has made its nest at the lamp up in our bathroom. i've seen it once, and there seems to be one always sitting in the net (i've seen the legs, and it's brown and very, very small). it's not gonna hurt me intentionally if i don't try to hurt it first. it has made a nest in the big man's home, and i could easily kill it if i wanted to. but should i? no! because that'd be stupid! you don't just kill creatures for no reason at all. it's stupid. all things have just as much right to live as you do, and so, everything should be left in peace. they don't bother you, you won't bother you. simple enough, no?

...and now i wonder why i am protecting spiders all of a sudden when i, myself, am terrified of the larger ones. :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm not arachnophobic, even though I am allergic to their venom. Most generally don't like the idea that there's a large 8 legged bug that could harm you.

(edited)

...a really small spider has made its nest at the lamp up in our bathroom. i've seen it once, and there seems to be one always sitting in the net (i've seen the legs, and it's brown and very, very small). it's not gonna hurt me intentionally if i don't try to hurt it first. it has made a nest in the big man's home, and i could easily kill it if i wanted to. but should i? no! because that'd be stupid! you don't just kill creatures for no reason at all. it's stupid. all things have just as much right to live as you do, and so, everything should be left in peace. they don't bother you, you won't bother you. simple enough, no?

...and now i wonder why i am protecting spiders all of a sudden when i, myself, am terrified of the larger ones. :P

It's actually smart to leave it there. Flies and other annoying flying thingies are attracted by light, so that spider should be getting rid of them quite efficiently. You let him live in a lamp, he gets rid of annoying flies. Symbiosis!

I'm not arachnophobic, even though I am allergic to their venom. Most generally don't like the idea that there's a large 8 legged bug that could harm you.

Spiders arent actually bugs, they are arachnids. Bugs by definition have 6 legs. If something has less or more then 6, its not a bug :P

Edited by Tol'Satha
  • Brohoof 1

It's actually smart to leave it there. Flies and other annoying flying thingies are attracted by light, so that spider should be getting rid of them quite efficiently. You let him live in a lamp, he gets rid of annoying flies. Symbiosis!

well, i hope he's still there. i saw 2 flies or so the other day in the bathroom. i hope my brother didn't kill it or something, or if it got accidentally stepped on, or whatever. :/