Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are so many people arachnophobic?

Tol'Satha

Spiders are freaky at times, but at least they don't bite me. I did see a Black Widow at elementary school once :wacko:. Those things are supposed to be really poisonous, and some kids found this thing flipped upside down during recess. You could clearly see it's red hourglass :o

Wouldn't say i'm an arachnophob I am not really creeped out by pictures or videos (in fact I found the one in the first post rather cute) I saw huge daddy long legs on the tents at summer camp I didn't care. One decided to spin a web down the front of my face while I was cooking so I picked him up by the web and burned him (I feel kinda bad now).

People are probably afraid because of the many eyes and legs and how they are furry and kind of creepy looking at times.

I think spiders are awesome, but I still have a freakishly potent case of Arachnophobia. Like, if I went to the store, and there was a spider web in the corner of the door, I would go out the other exit. I honestly can't explain why, because I've always liked spiders, but whenever I see one hanging from a web, my first reaction is to back off. I know it has something to do with something that happened to me when I was really young, but other than that, idk, I just freak out and peal out.

I think I'm going to seek help for my phobia. I almost crashed my car on the highway about 30 minutes ago because a spider was on my windshield. I had to pull over and remember how to breathe for about 15 minutes before I could head home on side streets.

I think I'm going to seek help for my phobia. I almost crashed my car on the highway about 30 minutes ago because a spider was on my windshield. I had to pull over and remember how to breathe for about 15 minutes before I could head home on side streets.

Eeeeep I'm like that.

I found a spider on my bed in my room once and I didn't know where it crawled off to so I didn't go in my room for a month. I was even skeptical on going in there after it was bug bombed. (I live in Australia, all of the spiders are scary as shit)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Most of the girls that I work with at my job are scared shitless of spiders that its not even funny. Hell I bet they would freak out at the sight of this. Which reminds me i'm going to need a bat for this one...

Most of the girls that I work with at my job are scared shitless of spiders that its not even funny. Hell I bet they would freak out at the sight of this. Which reminds me i'm going to need a bat for this one...

I've actually started to get over my spider fear a little bit and I like to go up to them and see if I can see if they're male or female. If they're male...that's fine seeing as those big ones in the pictures aren't even venomous... if they're female they must be rid of immediately as they have lots of babies...as you can see (fuck that shit)... a job for the man of the house as I am a whimp.

What job do you do??

What job do you do??

Donation Attendant at goodwill. The pay is good and the work is somewhat satisfying but unfortunately all DA's get treated like crap by both softliners (people who sort donated clothes) and people who donate.

• Brohoof 1

While I am not arachnophobic, I understand WHY people have it.

Fucking spiders are scary as hell.

They are tiny as a speck, but can kill you with one bite.

That's fucking scary.

Pretty much this. Just a tiny little thing that you won't even know's on you until it's already bit you. It's not the spider itself so much that scares me, but the thought of being bit and forever disfigured if it ends up being one of the nasty kind.

I also felt shivers and had to check myself after posting this. :s

Edited by Demi

I was taking a shower a couple of weeks ago. I turned around because i like dancing around in the shower and guess what? I saw a spider crawling around the glass. You know what I did? I LET IT WATCH ME AS I BATHED.

Basically, spiders don't scare me at all. They're weird little bugs.

I think that, for me, it's mainly due to the idea that if you don't kill them, they could crawl all over you when you're not looking. With their cold, feely hands creepy, numerous legs.

In pictures, video games... pretty much anywhere else but IRL, I'm not really scared of them at all, funnily enough.

Edited by Pony Joe

Why are so many people arachnophobic?

THIS IS WHY!

Posted Image

They wait till you're asleep

for their nightly creep.

Never make a peep,

upon your feet, they'll leap.....Aaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Edited by Silverhoof

Please put spider pictures in spoiler-tags, seriously. x_x

I myself didn't care about them much when I was younger, but as a teen I became absolutely horryfied of them. It's so bad that I almost can't even play Skyrim, because of those awful giant spiders(and the crawling-sound that they make in the game is so gross *shivers*)

I know that basically the spiders that live in my region are harmless, but something about their appearance just seem to deeply disturb humans.

Maybe it's the eyes, when I scrolled down on page4 and the eyes popped up I was paralysed and shocked for a moment. I don't kill spiders though when I find them. I just panic, run away and accept my defeat -_-

Edited by Wildcard

Phobias are explained:

People are scared of the dark and spiders primarily due to survival instinct. Before the modern age, those who avoided the darkness didn't fall off cliffs, didn't get mauled by predators with no way to fight back. Those who avoided spiders didn't get bitten and poisoned. So they survived and passed on the trait.

I'm not too afraid of spiders, just the dangerous ones. See...I live in Oregon...and we have this certain spider breed that...you know, if it bites you, the flesh will peel off and there is a 40% chance you might have to go to the E.R. Yeah....Hobo spiders

I love spiders! I love their little legs and their boogly eyes! I keep some in my room to trap bugs such as mosquietos and flies.

I only don't like the poisonous ones, I try to avoid them, but luckily, they don't live here, some still bite, it hurts but it doesn't cut through my flesh.

Well, but the rest of my family arachnophobic, it's only because they grew up in a clean city devoid of these things.

I grew up in a wet and buggy place, I'm used to them, but everyone else is so afaraid of them, if it doesn't harm me, I'm fine with them.

If your offended by text, don't open this, I'm just being honest

Edited by K3WRO
  • Brohoof 1

While I am not arachnophobic, I understand WHY people have it.

Fucking spiders are scary as hell.

They are tiny as a speck, but can kill you with one bite.

That's fucking scary.

emphasis on "can", though. just because they can poison you with their venom, doesn't mean they plan to do that. because aside from the arachnophobia people have against them you have every other advantage against them.

Spiders. So many spider pictures in this topic.

So many.

I feel like they are living inside everything.

Open up my mailbox. Find out that there is a Brown Recluse right next to your thumb whilst carrying the mail back up to you house. Panic.