Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Classic/retro gamer, modern gamer, or both?

SUPERFOX5

Classic/retro gamer, modern gamer, or both?  

71 users have voted

1. 1. Are you a classic/retro gamer, a modern gamer, or a bit of both?

• Retro gamer (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, anything 80's, 90's and a bit of mid 2000)
    • Modern gamer (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii)
    • Both (I like video games period)

I was just playing some Atari 2600 games I got in the mail today, and thought, "Did people really play this? I have been missing out!"

It was true, I was born in 1992, so I never got to experience anything before the NES years (My father still had it and gave it to me)

The only systems I truly grew up with were the SNES and the N64.

I was hooked back then. (And I still am to this day.)

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the newer game systems of today, like the Xbox 360, the PS3, and the Wii. I enjoy the online multiplayer games of the Xbox 360, I like the motion controls of the Wii (NOT LOVE, LIKE), and some of the exclusives to the PS3's library of games.

Edited by SUPERFOX5

I love both the realistic feel and graphics of modern games, but I also love the retro, original feel of retro games.

My first game was Crash Bandicoot XS on the Game Boy, and then from there, I discovered Mario, and I played the orignal games, which I really love.

I suppose it's nice to see and play the games that made the foundations of modern gaming and being able to appreciate how different it was then, and what it's like now.

• Brohoof 1

I play both but if I had to give up one or the other I would give up modern games. I have a much higher opinion of games like Super Metroid/Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time and many more N64/Snes games than more modern games

• Brohoof 1

I enjoy both. However, if I had to choose between them, I'd choose modern games. I prefer 3D games, with detailed, rich environments and huge areas to explore. (Also, you forgot to include PC on your poll. *cough*PCisbestconsole*cough*)

Edited by HylianMadness
  • Brohoof 3

While I love retro games, I think modern games are better. They have more immersive gameplay, and there is much more to do in terms of completing missions, playing with friends, or just exploring big maps.

Plus, saves can be backed up easier, and transferred between different systems, which is a nice feature.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say more retro than modern. I do play some modern games, but he majority are pretty old. The newest console I have is a PS2, which I still play frequently. I still play a lot of StarCraft and Diablo II, and I've really gotten back into Morrowind and KOTOR lately. I still play plenty of TF2 and Half-Life 2, which is guess are still kinda old :/

I'm going to get a gaming PC one of these days, then I can play some more modern games. Or maybe a PS3, but most likely a gaming PC.

I like both, (mainly classic 90s pc shooters). As long as the game is creative and had some thought put into it rather than just being "realistic" I wouldn't mind it being realistic, as long as it's creative (creativity is fun!) In my opinion, most modern games can't create (or re-create) what classic games were able to.

• Brohoof 1

I would say I'm both, however I tend to lean more towards modern gaming than classic/retro. There's nothing wrong with older games some actually do get better with time. In fact if there was a revamped version of classic games done with a more modern flare, they might prove to be quite entertaining.

My first video-game was the Nintendo Gameboy. After that, I started to grow along with the video-games and passed through most of the generations.

I can say then that I love both retro and modern games, but, to be honest, currently, I prefer the modern and new games better than the old ones. For instance, I prefer the latest Pokemon game than the older ones.

I'm both. I LOOOOOOVE me some Super Nintendo, but there are so many great modern games. Of course there are some relatively stupid modern games. (Call of Duty, I'm looking at you...)

I play more retro games than modern games. Heck, I have my NES plugged in and my Wii is in my closet. X3

But I play Minecraft now. Still though, I love mah old games :3

I'm both. I LOOOOOOVE me some Super Nintendo, but there are so many great modern games. Of course there are some relatively stupid modern games. (Call of Duty, I'm looking at you...)

I love broski shooters like Call of Duty for completely different reason than the old-school games I love like Super Mario Bros. :P

Too each his own but I guess it's just an easy target due it's popularity.

There are a lot of shooters this gen, but at least they've been consistently solid games.

Remember the deluge of generic platform characters on the SNES AND Genesis. Besides nostalgia I can't see any reason to play some Bubsy or Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel.

While there aren't as many chances taken these days, this has been more consistent in quality, albeit a little less exciting.

Edited by Jammo

There are a lot of shooters this gen, but at least they've been consistently solid games.

That may be true, but so many of them are just samey and bland. Halo is one exception. I can seriously dig a Halo game. CoD is the series that gets on my nerves, thanks to the annoying brats that play it a lot and also the bland brown color of everything. :P
  • Brohoof 1

That may be true, but so many of them are just samey and bland. Halo is one exception. I can seriously dig a Halo game. CoD is the series that gets on my nerves, thanks to the annoying brats that play it a lot and also the bland brown color of everything. :P

I wouldn't blame Call of Duty for the brats. I play online with my friends and have a lot of fun. Haters don't really take into account all the good memories people form in that game.

As for the brown.. Maybe the first Modern Warfare. Black Ops had extremely colorful maps. Especially stadium.. Look up footage of that. It's gorgeous. MW2 onward has used a lot more color. How much have you played before you decided you didn't like it?

Not trying to argue or say you have to like it. But it doesn't sound like you've played much.

I actually enjoy some of the challenge that came with those old games. A lot of what is available nowadays just seem to baby you through the entire thing, turning the entire thing into a hollow achievement.

• 11 months later...

I like primarily games from the 'golden age of pc gaming' from early 1990's to early 2000's. Such games as Doom, Half Life, Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, and Age of Mythology. I also like Silent Hill 1, 2 & 3. Currently I'm trying to get into Japanese Role Playing Games, I recently bought Persona 3 FES but haven't yet played it ^^

I host a video series on YouTube about the history of video games 

It's a documentary series where I look at the video games that changed the World and the people who made them.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely retro. I've played from the NES to the PS2, and that's as modern as I go. Now all the games look more real than reality, and have these generic faux-orchestral soundtracks, and their systems won't play on my TV, and they're too expensive, and can anyone explain to me why we need a new first-person shooting game every damn year when the genre basically hit its peak in the 90s? I'm serious people, play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 19 Part 6.5, then go back and play Doom or Quake or Clive Barker's Undying and tell me those are any less fun. You can't. And you can play them on mods for practically nothing. Why are we shelling out $60+ for a new COD when the only real difference is that there's more controls to mix up and you can see the enemies' nose hairs? :lol:

To sum up my rant, I'll take retro games any day of the week.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

I'm a retro gamer. There is something appealing about the simplicity of the older games that I like. The only fps game I ever truly loved was pokemon snap which I played through the other day. 6400 points on my magmar picture! OK let's stay on topic...

I enjoy new games as well, but there is a certain charm I love about the older ones and a huge nostalgic value to them.

I'm a retro gamer. There is something appealing about the simplicity of the older games that I like. The only fps game I ever truly loved was pokemon snap which I played through the other day. 6400 points on my magmar picture! OK let's stay on topic...

I enjoy new games as well, but there is a certain charm I love about the older ones and a huge nostalgic value to them.

I like a lot of old games I like to study there history, and there are some like Pokemon Red/Blue, Half Life, Deus Ex etc that are just so much better than what you can get today, even if my nostalgia glasses remain on ^^

Definitely retro. I've play from the NES to the PS2, and that's as modern as I go. Now all the games look more real than reality, and have these generic faux-orchestral soundtracks, and their systems won't play on my TV, and they're too expensive, and can anyone explain to me why we need a new first-person shooting game every damn year when the genre basically hit its peak in the 90s? I'm serious people, play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 19 Part 6.5, then go back and play Doom or Quake or Clive Barker's Undying and tell me those are any less fun. You can't. And you can play them on mods for practically nothing. Why are we shelling out $60+ for a new COD when the only real difference is that there's more controls to mix up and you can see the enemies' nose hairs? :lol:

To sum up my rant, I'll take retro games any day of the week.

I typed out the most epic response to this post but lost it due to drunkenness and unfamiliarity with MLPForum's layout :( but basically this video sums up why old games where better in terms of influence, innovation, creativity  originality and above all fun. The video was made by me last year btw so if you wondered what I sound like well it is no longer a mystery :)
Edited by Gamer Twilight

I love both. I've been playing some Half-Life 1 recently and it really is an amazing game, even to this day. But then I also really like modern games too, probably slightly more actually. (well, a lot of them anyway. I don't care much for certain AAA titles though.)

Do recent games that have a retro feel to them count as either retro or modern? For example, 'FTL: Faster than Light' came out in 2012, but has a retro feel to it; from the pixel art style, to the gameplay, to the amazing soundtrack.

I'm both a classic/retro and modern gamer since I was born in 1997, but I had a chance to play old games  and these days I play the current consoles. I pretty much enjoy video games, period.

I love both. I've been playing some Half-Life 1 recently and it really is an amazing game, even to this day. But then I also really like modern games too, probably slightly more actually. (well, a lot of them anyway. I don't care much for certain AAA titles though.)

Do recent games that have a retro feel to them count as either retro or modern? For example, 'FTL: Faster than Light' came out in 2012, but has a retro feel to it; from the pixel art style, to the gameplay, to the amazing soundtrack.

I played a game called 'CladunX2' review somewhere on my YT channel in sig if interested. The game itself was released in 2011 or later but had a beautiful retro RPG charm both in graphics and sound, the gameplay was also in the spirit of an old dungeon style Japanese RPG but had slightly smoother animations and party options. I'd consider it true to retro though. Never played FTL myself.

I'm both a classic/retro and modern gamer since I was born in 1997, but I had a chance to play old games  and these days I play the current consoles. I pretty much enjoy video games, period.

I like modern games as well as older games, but haven't found anything that caught my interest all that since Mass Effect 2 and Fallout New Vegas on the current gen. I have no desire to get a next generation console at this time as I don't see any truly innovative games right now. Just my 2 bits 

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 1

I like them both, while I may tend to consider mainly Retro games as my favorite, I've loved a lot of games that came out this gen like Bioshock, No More Heroes, Brutal Legend, Bayonetta, etc., and I can still see myself playing them regularly in the future

• Brohoof 1