Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mane 6's Instruments

Acoustic Cloud

Applejack-banjo

Twilight Sparkle-piano

Rainbow Dash-electric guitar

Pinkie Pie-every instrument known to pony kind though her favorite would probably be either the accordian, kazoo or xylophone

Fluttershy-flute/piccolo

Rarity-clarinet

Here are my thoughts:

Rainbow Dash: Elec Guitar/trumet

Twilight Sparkle: English Horn

Pinkie Pie: Trombone!... "you know?... hua hua!"

Fluttershy: Piccolo... if that's ok with you

Apple Jack: Battery set

Rarity: Piano

An English horn is similar to an oboe and is not the French horn made by an English man!

Edited by Wingin'Wolf

Well, if we're really doing this, I agree with you on everyone but RD, OP.

You see, I feel like pretty much any rock instrument would count. Much like Scoots, I feel like she'd be comfortable with drums, too. And also much like fanScoots, the bass (there are like... at least 4 fanart things I've found of Scoots playing the bass. No idea.)

Heck, she could even play keyboard in the correct context (if keyboard were a reasonable instrument for someone with two fingers.)

• 8 months later...

I don't really think that Fluttershy would play the flute - she looks like she would but her personality wouldn't suit flute playing. You have to have a lot of 'umph' to get the loud dynamics out and you have to tongue really hard and fast to get something that sounds very staccato. Fluttershy wouldn't be able to do that - though that's just my opinion.

I think Rarity or Twilight would be best suited to the flute and piano - both instruments are very sophisticated and produce beautiful sound. I think that Rarity would be best for piano as it is big and Twilight would rather shine through a smaller instrument given her whole 'I'm not bigger or better than anypony else' insistence.

Then that's just my opinion.

Rainbow Dash: Drums

Apple Jack: Fiddle

Twilight Sparkle: Saxophone

Pinkie Pie: Accordion

Rarity: Harp

Fluttershy: Pungi (snake charmer)

7478.png

Edited by Scoots and Dash

Twilight = Piano

Rainbow Dash = Electric guitar

Fluttershy = Flute

Applejack = Drums

Rarity = Violin

Pinkie Pie = Trombone/random

~~

This, except that Pinkie Pie can play every instrument (as seen in Swarm of the Century) + her voice Edited by Blobulle

Rarity - I can see her playing a bass guitar, piano, French Horn or Clarinet :D

Applejack - Banjo/Acoustic Guitar (country stereotypes ftw :muffins: ) :D

Fluttershy - Flute, tambourine :D

Twilight Sparkle - Violin :D

Pinkie Pie - Tuba/Drums :D

Rainbow Dash - Electric Guitar/Saxophone :D

Well there was an Equestrian Girls: Rainbow Rocks promo that shows human Pinkie Pie plays the drums since she is so hyper. My list would be:

Pinkie: Drums
Fluttershy: Bass

Twilight: Vocals

Rainbow Dash: Guitar

Rarity: Piano/Keyboard/Keytar

Applejack: Acoustic Guitar or violin/fiddle (as cliche as that is).

Sort of assuming they're all in the same band here, and that some of them can change their instruments around with the others depending on the song.

AJ: Drums.

Rarity: Bass Guitar or Keys, style's a show-offy sort of harmony that forms a countermelody or sorts

RD: Lead Electric Guitar

Pinkie: Rhythm Guitar or Keys, tends to be a bit eclectic in her playing style.

Fluttershy: Bass Guitar or Rhythm Guitar, generally muted style.

Twilight: Live mix down.

They're all capable of vocal parts.

Edited by Pinkieling

• 4 years later...

We already know what they'd play in a rock band, since Equestria Girls exists. 

Now, if they weren't in a rock band, I'd predict something like this:

Twilight - (French) horn, because she's exactly the kind of dork who would take on such a difficult, highly technical instrument. Alternatively, piano, due to its wide range. 

Applejack - Double bass. Its parts can be repetitive, but it's the sturdy instrument which holds the entire orchestra together. Applejack can relate to that. Might also play an acoustic guitar like her mother. 

Rainbow Dash - Electric guitar, because it's the flashiest of instruments. For a showoff like her, there's really no other choice. In an orchestra, probably trumpet, because it's less gentle than a violin but no less flashy. 

Rarity - Piano. It's elegant yet versatile, in many ways as much an instrument for showoffs as the guitar, and yet with an extra touch of class. Barring that, maybe the harp. 

Fluttershy - Flute. Because duh.  

Pinkie Pie - So many that you wonder where she found the time to learn them all. Probably would play a trombone in an orchestral setting. Seems very fond of the yovidaphone. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond