Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia and Luna - Goddesses?

ZStrike37

Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong, but throughout the entire show Celestia and Luna are never referred to as actual goddesses. Now don't get me wrong, they are obviously quite powerful and do live for a long time, if they even can die of natural causes. But I'm wondering where the idea came up that they are goddesses. I've read my fair share of fanfics and in most of them, when Celestia and Luna are being talked about, they are often referred to as goddesses. Let me clarify something real quick. I don't have a problem with them being goddesses at all. If they really are, then cool, whatevs. I'm just curious how that thought came around. Are we pretty much just calling them goddesses because we don't actually know and are just going with it because it sounds cool? I'm fine with that, I just want to to know.

Another thing that really doesn't deserve it's own topic. Is the term 'alicorn' canon? Has that been mentioned in the show as well? I don't think it has and so I'm curious to how that came around as well.

If I am wrong about all this stuff, then so be it. I've been wrong before and I'm not afraid of being wrong again, so feel free tell me how dumb I am, it's cool.

• Brohoof 1

They are not "goddess' on the level they can unlimited power... that's not true... they have limits and can be defeated. When people say goddess its of their beauty and glamor...etc.

No, they have not been referred to as gods. They are old, possibly but not guaranteed immortal(all we know is long lived), and have more power than the typical unicorn or pegasus but godhood is way beyond what they are.

They could be, in a sense, elemental goddesses. Demi-goddesses. They raise the moon and sun . . . and they live for who-knows-how-long, and they have powerful magic in general. I think the fact that they control the moon and sun is mainly what gives people the idea that they're goddesses. Moving such things with magic is much more difficult than the pegasi moving the clouds, you know?

It depends. They're are two theories to the origins of Luna and Celestia. One was that they created the planet and Equestria. The other is that they were born like any other after the creation of their planet. I personally feel that they were simply born by the Pegasus who created the Sonic Rainboom, and the unicorn who created transfiguration and teleportation. With that theory I say they are not goddesses because they were born from mortals and did not create the planet.

Luna and Celestia were rulers of a tribe of alicorns the three tribes went to for help with the problem with discord. They agreed and once they defeated him they were crowned rulers of Equestria. I think this theory makes sense from where they came from. So I don't think they're goddesses at all. They're just rulers that the ponies have ALOT of respect for.

They could be, in a sense, elemental goddesses. Demi-goddesses. They raise the moon and sun . . . and they live for who-knows-how-long, and they have powerful magic in general. I think the fact that they control the moon and sun is mainly what gives people the idea that they're goddesses. Moving such things with magic is much more difficult than the pegasi moving the clouds, you know?

You make a good point. I suppose it could simply that's how other ponies see them and they're tired of trying to tell ponykind otherwise.

Everyone else has good points too. This kind of question makes me think it's time we had some serious background development for Celestia and Luna...I don't really care about learning more about Cadance...not that I hate her...I just...don't like her >_>

• Brohoof 1

You make a good point. I suppose it could simply that's how other ponies see them and they're tired of trying to tell ponykind otherwise.

Everyone else has good points too. This kind of question makes me think it's time we had some serious background development for Celestia and Luna...I don't really care about learning more about Cadance...not that I hate her...I just...don't like her >_>

Yeah, officially, the princesses aren't goddesses, but they may be revered as such. That's the basic answer, here. It's kind of nice, because it leaves it open enough for fanfics and the like. I was thinking they may even be oracles or something, and that's why they have such incredible abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

They're never called goddesses in the show and Faust said herself that they are not goddesses, deities or spirits of any kind. They might be treated as something that important, especially Celestia, seeing as how she was the one the people got used to for generations upon generations, but that's as far as it goes.

And to my knowledge, Alicorn is a fan made name in origin.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

Though they have more power than a typical pony, I wouldn't say they're goddesses. They still have their vulnerabilities in spite of their strength and status. I'd also imagine goddess ponies being more distant from the main land, whereas Celestia and Luna do have occasional contact with Twilight and others.

I like one line that I read from celestia in a fanfic -- It went something like... Time is the same whether you are mortal or immortal. Being immortal simply means you have a finite past existence and an infinite future existence. In essence you can always say you have all of your life still ahead of you.

It seems like they are treated like goddesses at some points, but also treated like mortal beings at others. Celestia and Luna both have intensive magic abilities, like raising the sun and moon and also just being very lethal, but they are mortal.

It seems like they are treated like goddesses at some points, but also treated like mortal beings at others. Celestia and Luna both have intensive magic abilities, like raising the sun and moon and also just being very lethal, but they are mortal.

Actually that they are moral is a point of dispute. Remember that Nightmare Moon was banished to the moon as opposed to being destroyed. This brings into question as to whether or not she could be destroyed or would just reform at some point if she were not so banished. Prison of one sense or another is often the only way to deal with a true immortal. It is very possible that so long as the sun and moon are in the sky that Celestia and Luna can not truly be destroyed.

I’d say that Luna and Celestia are goddesses. They rule a kingdom and they both have extraordinary ability to raise the sun and the moon. Don’t forget this is done on a daily basis as well. To put their power in perspective Twilight who is seen as a magical prodigy could only perform the spell to give Rarity wings once. It took all of Twilight’s might to tame the Ursa Minor and fatigued her greatly. With all of that said think of the amount of energy it takes to raise the sun or the moon is probably at least 100 fold and don’t forget they do it on a daily basis and keep in mind Celestia was raising the sun and the moon in her sister’s absence for 1,000 years. They also have amazing longevity. Luna was banished to the moon for a casual 1,000 years and comes back still looking youthful, yet her and her sister look nothing like Granny Smith who is clearly getting close to the end of the road. ( :( )

In short if you are asking me, yes, they are goddesses.

Edited by Flying Whales