Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Most Intolerant Fansite Ever

Sound Barrier

oh my goodness. I have no idea if this is even the right place to put this

but oh my goodness.

I need to rant, right now.

Okay, so other than the MLP fandom, I'm apart of the Lion King fandom, as well as the Balto fandom, and then various anime fandoms.

I've been drawing a lot of Balto related stuff lately, and I post them to my account on Balto Source, probably the biggest Balto fansite ever.

But this site... I can't even begin to describe how much it enrages me. It's a shame it's the only big fansite for Balto around, and if I could make my own fansite to rival against it I swear I would.

People fight on there CONSTANTLY over NOTHING, homosexuality is barely tolerated, and the site is basically ran by popular artists who can tell you to do whatever they want. One of the popular artists actually has some popular MLP art, too, but I'm not gonna mention her name. But she's a big troublemaker that should have been banned YEARS ago. However, she got her popularity through Balto Source, so...

It's just awful. I have some homosexual fan characters on there and I got a whole essay from some close minded ass about how the homosexual stuff LEADS to smut art (which i barely even see on there) and that I should leave and go to deviant art. Like WHAT THE HELL? And being gay myself, all this anti-homosexuality stuff really really hurts me. And they have like "cutest couple contest"s and it's against the rules to have any homosexual characters, and the guy who's messaging me to post my stuff elsewhere isn't even putting up a good argument anymore and I'm just really, really pissed off. And it's hard to get me pissed off.

This is why i love the MLP fandom the most out of all the other fandoms. Love and tolerance.

Are any of you guys on this site? If so I'd love to like, be friends with you on there. The site REALLY needs more love and tolerance. REALLY.

Edited by Breezie
  • Brohoof 6

That is the worst thing I have ever heard of. Reading that made my heart sink so badly. . .

I haven't seen the Balto movies in a long time, but I liked them a lot when I was a kid. I would be willing to join to help spread love and tolerance, and give you some support, if you'd like. What's the name of the site?

• Brohoof 1

oh my goodness. I have no idea if this is even the right place to put this

but oh my goodness.

I need to rant, right now.

Honest question: if that community is so full of dickbags, why do you even subject yourself to it? Seems like it would be much easier to just ditch them and stick with DA or some other place that isn't as anti-whatever.

(edited)

Oh gosh Twi, that's really nice of you ;_; And I've been having an awful day to begin with because my best friend left for college today, so this isn't helping at all. Balto Source <--- that's the site, and it's really well ran and organized but the members and moderation is just awful. My username there is Kema. Most of the hate I've been getting is in my private messages, and I'm trying my best not to fight with anyone on there, cause I just don't like fighting in general. But yep, that's it. Good luck, soldier. XD

Honest question: if that community is so full of dickbags, why do you even subject yourself to it? Seems like it would be much easier to just ditch them and stick with DA or some other place that isn't as anti-whatever.

I do stick to DA but DA isn't really a Balto fansite or anything. My Balto stuff will get more recognition on there as opposed to Deviantart, you know?

Edited by Breezie

MY god that is TERRIBLE :( Do they not have any kind of report system or do they just ignore it? I'm all for someone believe in there own views (even if a closed minded one) but going out of their way to hurt others feelings is just uncouth!

• Brohoof 1

Exactly! According the the guy I'm arguing with on there, the mods' "hands are tied" along with the site owner's. Which makes NO sense to me. I asked him for an explanation and I've yet to get one from him. :/

WTF a Balto fansite full of rude and closed-minded people?

I didn't even know that there was a Balto fanbase on the Internet.

Then again, I can imagine why you'd hang out on there if it's literally the only source of Balto fans in existence.

But... have you considered just dropping it? I mean, half of the appeal of a fanbase is to feel like you're in community with these people. But obviously you're not. They are disrespectful towards you, so why bother showing off your love for Balto to a group of people who won't even appreciate it?

• Brohoof 2

I misunderstood your statement...by a lot....(Sorry!)

I have never heard about balto until now, and I see where your coming from...

Hope ranting helped cool you off though :P

Edited by bobthecableman

I'm sorry people are being so hurtful toward you! That's just awful! I can understand people getting upset over explicit content, but love is innocent and beautiful. I don't see why some people are so offended by homosexuality. :angry:

• Brohoof 2

WTF a Balto fansite full of rude and closed-minded people?

I didn't even know that there was a Balto fanbase on the Internet.

Then again, I can imagine why you'd hang out on there if it's literally the only source of Balto fans in existence.

But... have you considered just dropping it? I mean, half of the appeal of a fanbase is to feel like you're in community with these people. But obviously you're not. They are disrespectful towards you, so why bother showing off your love for Balto to a group of people who won't even appreciate it?

Once again, it's really the only fansite on there, and i feel like it has potential to be a lot nicer. And i'm hoping there are changes, but it's whatever. I feel like leaving would be like giving up and letting the flamers win. I guess I'm just being stubborn.

I do agree on this, but it rarely happens (Or im going blind) and when it does it usually ends fast.

This is because bronies themselves are classified as homosexual in society's eyes, which is why they backlash when someone calls them gay :/

Though i think the forums overall are ok, sometimes fun and i know it has its flaws, but its defiantly not on my worst forums list

I see fights on that site all the time. :/ And I don't go on the forums there much. But I didn't mean Bronies on the intolerance towards homosexuality, I meant the Balto Source people being intolerant towards homosexuality. I don't get it. I think Bronies are very tolerant about it. I don't have anyone messaging me on here telling me to quit the site because I ship a certain pairing, or because my OC is a homosexual, or because I am, you know?

I have to agree with everyone here. The site sounds neat, because of Balto. Love Balto... but the members make it sound like it's not a very fun, or nice, site. :huh:

It's not. ;_; But it's the only one around, which sucks. I wish I could make my own. It would be a lot nicer.

I'm sorry people are being so hurtful toward you! That's just awful! I can understand people getting upset over explicit content, but love is innocent and beautiful. I don't see why some people are so offended by homosexuality. :angry:

Exactly, exactly. </3 Thank you.

Uh, I hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. Most other fansites are the same way. To me MLP Forums is the big exception. The site that aggravated me the most was bulbagarden. I was treated like (apples) for being old. OLD. I'm not even twenty yet. Just cause I grew up with the original series. But normally, I see hatred of Bisexual/Heterosexual people. So I'm not openly gay, nor like rule 34. that's normally the treatment I get.

balto seriously has a fansite?

thats kinad cool

• Brohoof 1

Once again, it's really the only fansite on there, and i feel like it has potential to be a lot nicer. And i'm hoping there are changes, but it's whatever. I feel like leaving would be like giving up and letting the flamers win. I guess I'm just being stubborn.

How long has this forum existed?

Because, from my experience, it is very difficult for a group who has been set in their ways for a very long time to change. Not just on the Internet, but in real life too. Unless the staff all of a sudden stops being busy/lazy/whatever and they go through an entire upheaval of the system, they're not going to change. Groups seldom do.

Flamers win their battles from time to time. But it doesn't really matter. Justice is better served in other forms, and you don't really even have the power to deliver justice to these people.

People are being shortsighted assholes on the internet?

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!

In all seriousness, though, that sucks that this is all happening on what is probably the only relatively large Balto site. I wasn't aware Balto was still popular enough to have a fansite.

• Brohoof 2

Oh god you guys. Thankfully i have this site.. It's so beautiful. ;_;

Get get this. This is the reason why the Mod's hands are tied. And it's SCARY.

The popular artists/flamers/trolls who basically patrol and run the site (as opposed to the Site Owner himself and the Mods) have connections with a hacker who threatens to bring the fansite to rubble if any of the trolls are banned or something.

Noww I feel like i'm in one of those cities that a ran by gangs or something. Can't the owner get those trolls arrested? Is it really so complicated? D: I don't like this AT ALL.

• Brohoof 2

The popular artists/flamers/trolls who basically patrol and run the site (as opposed to the Site Owner himself and the Mods) have connections with a hacker who threatens to bring the fansite to rubble if any of the trolls are banned or something.

Noww I feel like i'm in one of those cities that a ran by gangs or something. Can't the owner get those trolls arrested? Is it really so complicated? D: I don't like this AT ALL.

Wow, I think you are much better off posting on DA. Heck, share with me! I'll recognize the buck out of your art! Maybe just put it on hold until things change around there. It's not fair that certain people get to dictate what everyone else does, simply because they are popular.

You can't arrest someone over trolling. Hell, even if they hacked the site into oblivion, it is quite easy to hide on the internet, so it would be quite difficult to prove it was them, and no police force is going to dedicate the necessary resources to find a couple dudes who hacked a Balto fansite.

ooh it makes me so mad, but I realize that you're right. If i had the power to justify this I would. Urrgh but i'm like one of those people who hates to sit and watch things get bad.

But what if the owner was getting money for it? The site, I mean? Wouldn't it be his property then?

Okay, I do not approve of Homosexuality, BUT Im not gonna tell someone 'GTFOuta Mah Fandom' over it, my Philosophy is live and let live, and If you wanna be gay, read clopfics, and whatever else ticks extremists off, go right ahead. I respect your right to do what you want, I just don't agree with you. and I hope you will be a big enough person to leave it at that.

(P.S. If I get Hate for this I will Ignore it, but will be very VERY dissapointed.)

• Brohoof 5

Yeah, i think i'm gonna do that. I didn't even realize it was that bad, i just thought it was a bunch of trolls being stupid, I never thought it would be hackers. Thanks you guys, for listening. I just had to vent that out. XD

• Brohoof 3

People are being shortsighted assholes on the internet?

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!

I agree with Evilshy. Honestly man, you need to expect some sites to have intolerant ass-hats. Just ignore their bullshit, and continue on.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what Balto is about, but it sounds like an anime. Not sure. And as some people know, people who love anime can be major asses sometimes.

tl;dr: Keep calm and carry on.