Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the meaning of your life?

Lady Rarity Pony

I see it has not been said yet, guess it's my time to shine!

In all seriousness though, the meaning of my life is just to simply continue living and get on with it, had i been asked this question pre-MLP my answer would be something along the lines of "who cares i'll be dead soon enough" but the show changed my outlook on life and my willingness to live in general, but i am yet to work out the meaning of my existence

What do you hold as the meaning of your life?

In my life, I suppose my meaning would to be to make art. It's really the only thing I have sometimes and it's a big part of who I am.

What is the reason you wake up every morning?

To see how far I can make it.

What makes you want to be alive a week from now?

I still have much to see, sixteen is still a young age when I think about it...

What, if taken away, would render your life unbearable?

Probably my right hand. Since it's my dominant hand, I use it for not only drawing, painting, etc. but for everything else as well. I would rather give up the ability to walk before I give up the ability to use my hands, I find them much more valuable.

What, if given to you, would render your life worth living

If anything, I guess a carefree attitude. I think I usually sad because I spend too much time worrying about everything. Being a carefree spirit would definitely do wonders for me.

Do you even value your own life?

To be honest I ask myself this question often but to some extent I guess I do, life is a precious thing to waster after all...

I figured out what the meaning of my life would be years ago: to make people happy. That's it, be it through the short animations I make now, the career in media production I want, or just cracking jokes all day in school. Nothing makes me happier than to make others happier. I don't want my life to end because I'm not yet satisfied with my lifetime net deposit into the worldwide smile quotient.

And on a completely unrelated note, that is exactly why Pinkie Pie is my favorite pony.

Edited by Pony Joe
  • Brohoof 1

The longer I lay in bed telling myself the day is going to suck and I should just go back to sleep, the worse I'll actually feel when I get up. I do it to get it done and keep on rolling.

I want to lead a better life, enjoy reaching my goals, overcome my problems, and in turn be able to help people struggling with similar problems when I have personal knowledge of how to deal with it.

Autonomy. Personal sanctity. Free will. Internal locus of control.

What, if given to you, would render your life worth living?

... ?

I have a self-preservation instinct. On a higher level, I've never thought too much about my value other than the fact that I don't deserve to be subjected to cruelty and so forth.

The meaning of life, in general, is very subjective, seeing as (in my opinion) life has no objective, inherent purpose other than, well, life itself. This means that everyone is free to set their own purpose in life, as I have.

Therefore, the meaning of my life is to help those around me, to bring joy to both myself and my loved ones (including my dear friends!) and to leave this world in an overall better state than I entered it (bit of a lofty goal, I know, but aim high and all), as well as the pursuit of knowledge. I wake up every morning knowing that I will likely bring joy to one of my friends this day (or at least provide some form of mild entertainment), as well as knowing that I will learn something today that I did not know yesterday. Living for the sake of living is what makes me want to live a week from now, a year from now, a decade from now, and so on and so forth until I have lived my life to its fullest.

My life would be entirely unbearable if all of my current friends abandoned me and the entire world decided that it would hate me. Fortunately, that has not happened as I am a generally likable person (according to others), though this is my greatest fear and doubt in myself - my own self-value and how others perceive me.

Conversely, there is nothing I do not posses now that would make my life worth living - life is VERY worth living, no matter how bad things get, so long as I have others to turn to for aid and support. I value my life equally with the lives of everyone else on this planet - even those that dislike me.

As I stated earlier - there is no OBJECTIVE meaning of life, merely subjective meanings. But to me, my subjective meaning of life is very important, for reasons stated above.

Finally, the practicality of my worldview... aspects of it are practical, aspects of it are not. Clearly I cannot please everyone, and I will likely not leave the world better than I entered it due to how (ultimately) insignificant I am as an individual. However, I can at least try, and to some extent I do succeed. Almost every day I bring smiles to the faces of my friends, and that, frankly, is good enough for me.

Oooh, now this is heavy stuff. Breezing through some of the responses I'm surprised at how many of them are 'life has no meaning beyond what you give it' answers. Pretty much the most catch-all answer, of course, but the directions that philosophy will take you down are many, not all of them good. But I digress, on to information about me nobody cares about:

• What is the reason you wake up every morning?

I'm actually naturally highly energetic, I wake up like clockwork and I'm often annoyed if I'm not up and about by a certain time of day. I suppose the simple answer here is that I'm so energetic (not hyper, though I used to be so) that I simply couldn't sleep a day away. As for the why of my energy, I dunno. Even when I'm depressed I'd rather be walking it off or something than wasting away in bed.

• What makes you want to be alive a week from now?
Suicide is hard? To be frank, I can't really go that far into the future. I mean, in my dreams and such, but not in any practical way can I have a reason for wanting to live or die within a week. What happens happens, I guess? I'd rather not others I know and love have to deal with the fallout of me passing away, at least. So living would be preferable, though in the grand scale of things my death would matter little. But in the grand scale of things the chances of my death within any given week are low anyways.
  • What, if taken away, would render your life unbearable?
Other people. I need them, frankly. I still rely on my parents, I still want to hang out with friends no matter how many times I push them away in favor of being antisocial (getting better about that, though). I couldn't be alone, neither practically because I have no income, nor preferably. Even if I lived alone I'd have to have a ring of regular friends. Otherwise, what the hell is the point? Who is acknowledging you, and having fun with you? Even people on the internet provide some mean comfort, though I'd frankly need to be able to meet them IRL occasionally, at least.
  • What, if given to you, would render your life worth living?
I have what I need right now, really. What I would like is autonomy. I'd like to grow the pair needed to just go for it and start making my own way in the world. At least I'm not 18 yet. I sort of have an excuse.
  • Do you even value your own life?
Philosophically, no. All lives are equally useless. But practically, there are people who would miss me if I went. And I kind of like life. It's nice, because you get to live a little.

As for the practicality of my world views, I dunno. I suppose they're practical enough if they haven't gotten me killed or run out of society yet. But then, do we ever really express what we really feel in society? I suppose any world view is practical if you have the common sense to be able to mesh it with society at large.

Damn, I feel heady all of a sudden. Too much thinking.

Meaning of life? 42, for sure... Now, to answer the questions:

I have to. I have to get up at 5 am to get to the school in time.

I don´t plan much, so I don´t know what will happen in a week. I want to know, so let´s say it´s the answer.

Someone close to me and freedom.

Ability to fly, ability to slide down the rainbows, ability to turn invisible, the loved one..

I think I do. Everyone might think that I´m wasting my time on stupid things, but I don´t think you´re wasting your time when you´re doing something you enjoy or like, whatever it is.

• Brohoof 1

That's a quite sharp question.. :| I don't think I can answer it completely. but here it goes...

--> I think I live simply because I have to. Who knows what happens when you die? I, for one, don't wanna take a guess.

I can't exactly see a meaning to it, and I believe most people can't as well. You're born, you go to school, you get a job, you get a family, and then you rot. You have to be REALLY wise to know how to enjoy the life by its fullest, and a lot lucky as well.

I don't wanna sound pessimist or anything, but I wish I had another life... Y'know, press the restart button and try again? That's something I always wish for. Maybe then I can take a second and better look at everything and become a way more cheerful person...

...WELL, WHATEVER!! Laugh like an idiot and keep walking like nothing matters is something I very often do! 8D

I'll give this a shot :) ill anser the question's you posted the best i can (i'm only 18 and im sure in the future my veiw's will chage a bit) :) ;

Well, i am a christian and for me i get up to hopefully be able to serve God's will the best i can!
To be able to show other how wonderful Jesus was to us all, and hopefully effect other's life's for the better if they follow him! (i'm not great at doing this currently, but im getting better all the time :) )
I like to think i could loose anything and it wouldn't matter beucase i know im going to be walking with Jesus and with everyone i love in heaven. I often think i would be better off if i lost everything because then i wouldn't be so easily corrupted and misslead by what i have, i would be bale to do more for other people and have much more empathy for what it's like in other people's possitions. :P
I'm not sure what this mean's :C
This is a very difficult question to anser, I would say I value my life exactly teh same as everyone elses. We are all equal and no matter what no one is more or less important then anyone else!

i hope i did ok with this :P some of those questions are really hard to anser :P

• Brohoof 1

The only real reason I'm still going on in my life is my religion. I'm a christian and I believe in god, even though some of you don't believe in gods, I do. If I committed suicide then I might not be able to get into heaven. I believe (but i'm not sure) that if you commit suicide then god will be angry with you because you threw away the greatest gift he could give you. Also I would never want to go to hell because it is described as a place where all your fears are a reality and you work as a slave to Satan, working and being tortured for eternity. Also I'm still enjoying life, the most id be happy to live to is until 40. If i live longer then that is great. I really want to see how technology develops whilst i get older because it seems tech is getting more advanced each day and by the time i'm 40 or so the world might already have developed teleportation or something awesome like that. So... ya that's why I live.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see myself ever becoming powerful enough to "change the world" or make a "revolution", so I'd say probably just to disregard mares and acquire bits.

But really, probably to make friends, learn everything the world has to offer, and live happily. :D

Edited by Demi

• What is the reason you wake up every morning? I wake up every morning because i have to i have to go to work put in my 9 hours of work and yea i dont really have a purpose... at all that i can see i wake up because i wake up.
  • What makes you want to be alive a week from now? nothing really i dont really see a purpose in my life ive noticed this for quite a while like why am i alive? what is my purpose? why have so many good people died and yet me who doesnt have a clue is still alive?
  • What, if taken away, would render your life unbearable? nothing really i dont hold any thing close or dear nothing family means pretty much nothing to me i dont have very much friends at all... i basically go to work and come home and spend time alone i guess if you took away my music that would pretty much make life unbearable it helps me relax and sleep
  • What, if given to you, would render your life worth living? a purpose a meaning? something worth living for or dying for cause as i stand right now i dont really have much to look forward to or wish for pretty much i just continue to live on i guess cause im bad at dying or something?
  • Do you even value your own life? truthfully how people say life is worth living i dont see it for my self. honestly i just see my self as some sort of problem that continues to happen and that maybe life would be better with out me? but then again im just some pessamestic guy with little to no confidence who spends his time alone for fear of people hurting and using him

Rather than try to make a list of answers to the list of questions, I'll roll my answers together. Easier for me that way, and I don't have much to say on some points.

Every morning I wake up to go to a job that I hate, in an industry towards which I've become ambivalent. Why? Because I currently have no alternative. Maybe I can change that, but it won't be possible for another year, at least. Until my involvement with this show and fandom, I had nothing that made me want to live; no people, no events, nothing motivated me. This is still somewhat true. Things were great leading up to Bronycon and in the aftermath, but I've hit a dry spell when it comes to things to do, and I'm back home alone. Now that I've settled back into my normal routine with no sign of a break from it until next Spring, I often swing between feeling nonchalant and terribly sad. Take away what I've gotten from MLP and I have nothing to look forward to. I'm fairly sure that most of my misery can be traced back to my job. If I can land one elsewhere things may turn around, but I can't tell for certain. There's still the matter of me living solely for my work, which is no way to live.

The last question is kind of amusing when I think about it. There was an earthquake in Mineral last year while I was sitting at work in Richmond. The building was visibly swaying from the outside from what I've been told, and from the inside I felt it violently lurching. Everybody was running for the stairs because they were terrified for their lives. I was chilling in my chair, enjoying the suspense of not knowing whether or not the building would come down. So no, I've never valued my own life, but I still get that rush of adrenaline when my life is endangered, and I'll keep it going for however long I can. Sadly, the effects of the earthquake in our area were over in less than a minute.

• 10 years later...

-to work

-Guess I’m not at the mercy yet.

-depends.

-I’m here now so it could’ve been worst.

I don’t have any specific but I always feel I live by the motto of “fight/kill or be killed”. Sometimes I wish I can stop all that and be at peace. Because… I’m tried.

"What is the reason you wake up every morning?" The alarm clock.

"What makes you want to be alive a week from now?" Instinct.

"What, if taken away, would render your life unbearable?" Cookies.

"What, if given to you, would render your life worth living?" Cookies.

Do you even value your own life? It does not matter.

I unfortunately can't sleep all day, so I have to wake up at some point. No reason for me to do it other than the fact that my body can't sleep forever.

Friends and family.

Friends and family.

No physical object could make life worth living. Even happiness wouldn't make life worth living, it's overrated. I don't think that anything would make life worth living aside from what I already have.

No, I have no value.

On 8/31/2012 at 4:36 AM, Lady Rarity Pony said:
  • Parts of being alive, but it changes meaning. It isn't a constant reason.
  • It is hard coded in my brain to stay alive, and it doesn't have a time limit.
  • If I would go blind, I would just enjoy music. If I went deaf, I would just enjoy art and drawing. If I lost the ability to have any input, I would still dream about music/drawing.
  • Love.
  • My life has a value of 1.

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I'm going to answer all of these questions at once:

GOD I WISH I KNEW AND I'VE CONSTANTLY CONTEMPLATED ENDING IT BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I HAVE NO MEANING OR PURPOSE ON THIS GOD-FORSAKEN PLANET. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE I CAME FROM. AAAAAAAAAA. :love:

Edited by Lawyer Slip
  • Delighted Giggle 1

• What is the reason you wake up every morning? To keep up with my proyects, I have a lot of things I have to work with, also have to sustain my family, help others and work on my stuff as well
  • What makes you want to be alive a week from now? To buy the best Steam Deck for now until I have another reason to be alive
  • What, if taken away, would render your life unbearable? I guess it would electricity, I know people live normally before electricity but not me...
  • What, if given to you, would render your life worth living? Recognition, love or hate, either way you can't get one without getting the other, my goal is that my proyects change the world or at least the life of many people as possible, leave a mark in the world not only in entertaintment but also as a philosophy, my comics and games am making not to be taking just as they are but lnvite people to learn more about it
  • Do you even value your own life? Of course, life in any condition possible is a true gift because you can experience memories good or bad, maybe people disagree but I think the good experiences and bad can help you learn and overcome obstacles, the challenge is there, depends on you to surpass or embrace your joy or misery

Do you find some sort of objective meaning to life? If not, then what keeps you going? Yeah to try to spread to the world my philosophy that give is as good as receive

How practical is your answer? Am not understanding this question, how practical is my answer... well.. I typed it fast so it was very practical?

On 2024-03-26 at 1:49 PM, Lawyer Slip said:

I'm going to answer all of these questions at once:

GOD I WISH I KNEW AND I'VE CONSTANTLY CONTEMPLATED ENDING IT BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I HAVE NO MEANING OR PURPOSE ON THIS GOD-FORSAKEN PLANET. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE I CAME FROM. AAAAAAAAAA. :love:

If you feel you have no meaning, find one, find what you like the most and start all your life over dedicated to your passion, make your dedication better should be your purpose in life

30 minutes ago, Rethajni said:
  • What is the reason you wake up every morning? To keep up with my proyects, I have a lot of things I have to work with, also have to sustain my family, help others and work on my stuff as well
  • What makes you want to be alive a week from now? To buy the best Steam Deck for now until I have another reason to be alive
  • What, if taken away, would render your life unbearable? I guess it would electricity, I know people live normally before electricity but not me...
  • What, if given to you, would render your life worth living? Recognition, love or hate, either way you can't get one without getting the other, my goal is that my proyects change the world or at least the life of many people as possible, leave a mark in the world not only in entertaintment but also as a philosophy, my comics and games am making not to be taking just as they are but lnvite people to learn more about it
  • Do you even value your own life? Of course, life in any condition possible is a true gift because you can experience memories good or bad, maybe people disagree but I think the good experiences and bad can help you learn and overcome obstacles, the challenge is there, depends on you to surpass or embrace your joy or misery

Do you find some sort of objective meaning to life? If not, then what keeps you going? Yeah to try to spread to the world my philosophy that give is as good as receive

How practical is your answer? Am not understanding this question, how practical is my answer... well.. I typed it fast so it was very practical?

If you feel you have no meaning, find one, find what you like the most and start all your life over dedicated to your passion, make your dedication better should be your purpose in life

I was roleplaying. Lol. ^_^

(edited)

Honestly speaking, I do not know how to answer this question.

I do not think there is a higher purpose for us. It is up to the individual to personally attach meaning to their life.

For my life, I do not think there is a singular meaning to it. I enjoy doing different things. I do not think that I have a specific calling or vocation. I have done a lot in my life even though I am still young.  I have rich experiences from all my travels and people that I have met over the years. Initially I valued family and friends highly, but that has changed a lot over the past decade. I have a set of goals or things that I would like to do before I die. Some goals are very simple, while others will take years to complete. Some goals might not even get to be completed. However that is okay. I try to enjoy every day the best that I can.

Edited by Starlight Serenade

I wake up because I’m in a routine that’s been established as the means by which to continue and nourish the life I’ve chosen and the people I live with. I’m past the point of trying to find who and what I want to be, and now I’m just maintaining what’s been set in motion.

I want to be alive for the people I love. I have family that depend on me and I want them to have the opportunity to find and live their own dreams. I’ve accomplished many of my own dreams so now I live to help others find their own. To me that’s a huge job that I love to do.

If taken away, I couldn’t live without my family. My freedom is also important. If I can’t be free to find my path or pursue my needs or those of others, I’d be pretty miserable.

My life is already worth living, so I don’t need much to make it more so. I have my family, although more children are always welcome and desired. Money is nice, but as a means to an end and not a matter of pointless luxury. Life doesn’t have to be wonderful and bursting with happiness all the time; sometimes it’s the rough spots that make us better people. And becoming better people is what we’re supposed to be living for.

Yes, I value my own life. I don’t think of it as entirely mine. I didn’t create myself so I’m just playing my part in the safari called life on earth for the reasons I was designed and made, to the best of my understanding and ability. I’m honored to have been invited to play my small part. If I can leave things a little better than I found them, I consider that valuable.

• Hugs 1

"What is the meaning of your life?"

I like to believe that the meaning of my life is to make people smile, laugh and feel better when they need help. 

• Hugs 1