Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Good VS Bad bronies

sirseansy

I follow a lot of pony related blogs on the Tumblr's. One of my favorites is BaldDumboRat's (the fanon derpy voice actor) personal blog. While perusing my dash I came across a post (s)he reblogged. It listed 24 characteristics that made bronies either "good" or "bad." http://ask-bhaalspaw...and-a-bad-brony

I personally think 87% of it is a load of shit, but it got me wondering: can we really define a good brony or a bad one?

I figured I'd ask you guys about it.

PS: BDR was very clear in her reblogging that (s)he thought it was a load of shit too.

Edited by sirseansy
  • Brohoof 1

Well I wouldn't say there are "bad" bronies necessarily, but just less desirable ones.

For example bronies who try to spam the internet with ponies and FiM related memes, can be very annoying. The same can also be said about bronies who are just in it for the "clopping" or just to use it as a means of trolling.

I've noticed that a lot of "good" bronies will tend to stick to more close-knit communities (such as here), or generally like to post where a common interest is shared. Unlike other some other bronies, who are spamming ponies on whatever website they get the chance.

~~

• Brohoof 1

Most of it can be true. Most of it can't. Although, I've never made a 20% cooler joke at all, even while turning down my thermostat.

Does that make me a neutral?

Well I wouldn't say there are "bad" bronies necessarily, but just less desirable ones.

For example bronies who try to spam the internet with ponies and FiM related memes, can be very annoying. The same can also be said about bronies who are just in it for the "clopping" or just to use it as a means of trolling.

I've noticed that a lot of "good" bronies will tend to stick to more close-knit communities (such as here), or generally like to post where a common interest is shared. Unlike other some other bronies, who are spamming ponies on whatever website they get the chance.

~~

Yeah i agree. But all those "bad" Bronies get more noticed. Being they are spaming all over the internet. They are freakin' lit up like a Christmas Tree and give the whole fandom bad rep. I've met many people who think we are all like that just cuz they met some of them of their forums.

Ur entitled to express your opinion, but don't just go shoving down people throats. I really don't like it when some bronies do that.

People can look at me as a good brony for having talent. On the other hand, people can look at me as a bad brony for making ponies a hobby that takes up the majority of my days. There are also some points I disagree with.

At this point, I'm just gonna say this good vs bad brony will involve a lot of poop-slinging from different people as people are going to have different preferences on what sorts of people they wanna associate with.

Edited by Pix3M

Altohugh I wont agree with everything on the list, I do think there are people in the shows fandom that are somewhat undesireable. Still, it's not something we can exactly change, every fandom has people they could do without.

23. A good brony likes MLP.

A bad brony claims that it cured their depression.

I'm going to have to disagree with this one since I've seen this a few times for real. Sometimes it takes only the smallest sense of belonging to help someone.

• Brohoof 5

well i don't call my self a brony and i don't rely judge people as bronie's either were all human and are capable of flawed things if you can accept that about you self rather then going around thinking that you right all then time and that you opinion are better then anyone else like some people do (including myself at times).

if you don't accept my opinion or at least have a rational discussion about it were you don't undermine every thing i say then your in my good books if you disregard my opinion with out giving it any thought or ignor my opinion and attack my bad grammar your in my bad books, but that's only for a while i let stuff go unless you rely pissed me off like people who claw for the moral high ground so that you can look down at me then i'm going to drag you back down to equal level.... were am i going with this... oh were all human beings first, bronies or christian or what ever else second ,and we should treat each other the same that goes for haters as well.

there is no good or bad brony just a :( hole people (like me )

Bad Bronies:

1) Angry, constantly looking for a fight.

2) Constantly spams ponies (Rule 34 and otherwise) in every website that gives them an audience, in every section

3) Overzealously tries to convert non-bronies by forcefully and relentlessly shoving ponies in their faces "until they like it".

4) Irrationally and loudly hates X internet group (Furries, M/M shippers, shippers in general, non-shippers, Sonic fans, et cetera) with a passion, and attacks them whenever the subject is brought up.

5) Preaches Love and Tolerance when it comes into conflict with #4.

Good Bronies:

1) Kind and friendly.

2) Posts ponies, but in moderation and where appropriate.

3) May attempt to convert non-brony friends when appropriate, but is capable of comprehending that humans are in fact capable of having different opinions from them (in short, stops when the non-brony still doesn't have an interest.)

4) Keeps their prejudices to themselves. (See #5)

5) Follows the tenets of Love and Tolerance.

^ That's my opinion on good and bad bronies, in a nutshell. It's good to know the differences between them, and not to simply pretend that bad bronies don't exist (doing so only makes the problem worse).

Edited by Jadefire
  • Brohoof 2

It makes me wonder witch came first? Was the first brony a clopper or was he a genuine fan?

Also It makes me think that the bronies who try to classify others as bad or good makes them look bad themselves. Witch makes me bad for labeling them bad... Meh. I dont really care about labels except the label Brony. I like that one.

~XoXo Solarwind.

I hope that the person who blogged it was joking, because I'm calling BS on about 95% of this. Hardly any of these thoughts were logical. There is no such thing as a good or bad Brony, just like there is no good or bad fan of anything. I'm tired of these almost religious thoughts on Bronydom. As long as you're a fan of the show then that's fine with me, there are no expectations of Bronies.

Can you spell "biased"?

Granted, a few of those differences are plausible, for the most part, but really... some of them just really stuck out to me and grinded my gears.

*9. A good brony looks up R34.

A bad brony commissions it.

I have a major problem with this. Sometimes, people get to the point where they're really appreciative of the more risque part of the fandom, and what else can they do besides look up said risque stuff? Buy whatever merchandise is available to them and proceed to enjoy themselves... while this isn't my cup of tea personally, who's anybody to judge them for it? The "rule" seems to generalize these types of people as exclusively belonging to a group who shamelessly flaunts the stuff around in public, disregarding anything that lends itself to the contrary.

23. A good brony likes MLP.

A bad brony claims that it cured their depression.

Did the creator of this stupid, biased, and extremely subjective blog stop to think that a simple little thing is capable of resolving whatever big problem they were having in their life? Unless they're greatly exaggerating it, then there's no need to bring them down again. The show spreads a great message, and as a matter of fact, it has indeed caused many people to become happier and healthier individuals.

4. A good brony is willing to discuss with those who criticize their fanbase.

A bad brony accuses the person of “generalizing” and screams “We’re not all like that!”

Or not discuss it at all. The majority of the people who criticize the fandom do not bother to think rationally about the fandom in any shape or form, and thus must be either ignored or plainly retaliated against because frankly, after a while, they just get really annoying. I'm not going to be attacked and generalized just because I watch a TV show any longer if it ever keeps up. And neither should anyone else.

How about this? A "good brony" doesn't label every single brony out there based on how they spend their time with the fandom and what they do in regards to the show, and is accepting of everyone regardless of their hobbies or turn-ons or turn-offs (granted they're not completely evil), and a "bad brony" takes the time to make a stupid-ass tumblr like this, undoubtedly sparking some sort of negativity.

• Brohoof 6

I'm half good and half bad brony...

And then there's where i think the" bad bronies" are good ones to me.

Like a petition to keep Derpy in MLP.

The dude who created that part must've been thinking: " Oh, there's nothing we can do. Let's not do a petition even though that may prove we love derpy that much"

I hope that the person who blogged it was joking, because I'm calling BS on about 95% of this. Hardly any of these thoughts were logical. There is no such thing as a good or bad Brony, just like there is no good or bad fan of anything. I'm tired of these almost religious thoughts on Bronydom. As long as you're a fan of the show then that's fine with me, there are no expectations of Bronies.

I agree, the list had some good points, but it was mostly "this annoys me so it's bad". It could've used alotta work to be completely good points.

It seems instead of comparing good and bad, the article was comparing obsessed and normal fans :<

For me, if you can accept the 'Imperial Truth' without getting butthurt, then you're a good brony (at least more than average)

Posted Image

• Brohoof 8

Some of the things that have been said that make you a bad brony aren't necessarily true in my eyes. Like the part about MLP and depression, it's true that this fanbase and show have helped people with depression, which is a good thing, and as long as they don't go parading that around, I don't see why it's such a huge problem.

• Brohoof 2

Wow. Thats complete bull in my opinion. Making 20% cooler jokes doesn't automatically make you a bad brony. Especially if you're not chocking the show down other's throats. Anything could bring someone out of their depression, so why can't this show do so?

That list fails.

Really, the only things that make people bad bronies in my eyes are:

1. Way too overreactive and butthurt when someone insults the shows/fandom

2. Judgmental bronies. I mean, they're just disgusting hypocrites.

3. Posting ponies in a website/video that doesn't have to even do with poines

4. People who scream OMG RAINBO DAZH VURZION IS SO MUHC BETUR DAN DIS on The Offspring's song, "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid." Keep RD's version discussion on RD's video.

"A good brony partakes in their fandom in their spare time.

A bad brony equtes their fandom to a religion."

Never in my life did I ever want to facehoof so hard...

Okay I this is pretty ridiculous, but good bronies and bad bronies!? I would've used the term " overly obsessed", but I'm not saying it in a mean way. Usually it's hard to explain for myself how I like MLP:FiM, but not to the point where I would involve everything around me with it. I would only bring G4 ponies up if it were necessary to have a good conversation or just have some fun.

For example bronies who try to spam the internet with ponies and FiM related memes, can be very annoying

I have come across that on one of the forums I admin, since it was clearly a troll, I had no issue of removing his post and post-moderation on for that person. There is a time and a place for ponies... where its clearly not allowed, you should respect it and move on.

For me, if you can accept the 'Imperial Truth' without getting butthurt, then you're a good brony

By that, I must be a good brony then by that stand-point... I hope I can remain in that circle of "good" bronies.

The show spreads a great message, and as a matter of fact, it has indeed caused many people to become happier and healthier individuals.

I agree... If they turned their life around good... if they rub it into someone else's face then I disagree.

there is no good or bad brony just a :( hole people (like me )

Well theres the good, the bad, the worse and we have you... but at least honest about it and try to make some good out of it.

3) May attempt to convert non-brony friends when appropriate, but is capable of comprehending that humans are in fact capable of having different opinions from them (in short, stops when the non-brony still doesn't have an interest.)

I would disagree that would be unwise... my chat with non-bronies that don't care about MLP or don't show ANY interest of the show, I keep brony related opinions or statements to myself... If they ask then I will say something, if they saw it and still don't like it... my answer "Cool" and we move on and talk about stuff we both enjoy. If they do like it, then we will discuss it.

@topic at hand: Hate only breeds more hate, but only you can stand and just not let it get to you and move on :D

Well theres the good, the bad, the worse and we have you... but at least honest about it and try to make some good out of it.

jeez you could have made that appear as less of a insult, i do enough of that calling my self an asshole

I just made the point that we need think less of being bronies and more of being human beings to each other and that includes haters