Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Subs Or Dubs?

Sepia-chan

Subs or Dubs?  

63 users have voted

1. 1. Subs or Dubs?

• Subs
    • Dubs

When watching anime, do you prefer subtitles or dubbed-over voices?

I personally prefer subs, (with the exception of Gurren Lagann) because most dubs I've watched aren't that great.

What is your opinion on the 6727537 year old question; Dubs or subs?

I would go with dubs, because subtitles just take out the fun out of watching everything! It's like a reading a book more than enjoy a show for me :/

Edit: 10 years later and it kinda changed. When watching anime at least I prefer subs.

• Brohoof 2

I actually usually pick subs, because I like watching it in the original language.

Ghibli movies usually have great English actors, though, so I watch dubs for them.

• Brohoof 1

Dubs for me, mainly because I'd rather not read subtitles and focus on what is going on at the same time. Also, I haven't really seen any anime where the dub sucks too bad. I suppose I would watch it subbed if the dubbed was terrible.

• Brohoof 1

I like subs, I once had 24 inch subs that made my car's windows shake! On a more serious note, I find that if the dubs are good (aka not 4 kids) I am fine with them. I like listening to it when it is in my native language. However it seems that the really good animes either never get dubbed or are dubbed incorrectly. Take one piece for example. 4 kids tried to dub it and it turned out horribly, but about a year or two after that funimation decided to do its own dubs for it. Those dubs were phenomenal, the characters sounded relatively close the their japenese counter parts, the even dubbed the songs which were amazing. But the funimation just abruptly stopped in the middle of dubbing the episode (around episod 240 if I am correct). Since there was no more dubbed version I was forced to watch sub once again. I like sub the voices are great and some japanese words play into certain jokes better, like when franky transforms into his centaur mode he yells "HENTAI" and everyone gets this ridiculous look on their face, it is hilarious. So I guess in conclusion, it really depends, I tend to watch more sub because, well, more anime are subbed then dubbed and I am not a patient man to wait for a dub to be made. But when it comes down to it I like dub more if it is done correctly, like naruto.

I tend to flip between the two depending on which one I think sounds better, but usually that falls under subs because more often than not the dubbed product will end up being edited to the point of hilarity. I talking 4kids-invisible-guns level of editing here.

I actually usually pick subs, because I like watching it in the original language.

Ghibli movies usually have great English actors, though, so I watch dubs for them.

And it's normally voice acted slightly better and is more exact with the sub then in the DUB.

in bleach the dub is really far behind the actual series so it it got confusing when i had to go from english dub to sub's to be able to catch up, so to avoid this in the future :)

Subs. ALWAYS subs. Reading subs doesn't bother me in the least. I'd rather read subs than watch a dub, because dubs are often done very poorly with little or the wrong type of emotion. They also can't ever pronounce anything right. Not to mention the voice types they give most characters don't fit in the slightest. . . There have been a handful of dubs that I've been satisfied with, but overall, I find dubs just awful.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's quite annoying to listen to them speaking in Japanese all the time so I prefer dubs :P But only if it's in English. You guys at least have some good voice actors to dub. Here in Sweden (more or less) all dubbers are really, really bad.

I perfer dubs because I rather not be reading subtitles and missing everything that's happening visually on screen because I'm concentrating on reading. It's also a pain to try to keep up when dialog is moving fast, or there's alot of it per line.

I'm gonna be that douche who posts something somewhat unrelated in a thread:

I know this is about anime but I'm not the biggest watcher of anime, but I do watch films that are subtitled an I prefer subtitles over dubbing, probably because I enjoy reading so it just makes th film a book where I don't have to imagine the imaging myself. I suppose hat would go for subtitled anime too.

It really depends on how well the English voice actors do. Full Metal Alchemist is a good example of good English dubs, I think. Otherwise, subs don't bother me.

• Brohoof 1

It really depends on how well the English voice actors do. Full Metal Alchemist is a good example of good English dubs, I think. Otherwise, subs don't bother me.

Yeah, FMA's english VAs are pretty good. I also think most of the VAs for Deadman Wonderland were well cast and pretty good.

But then you have some like Kenichi, where it's like "dear God, please stop talking before I stab myself in the ears with a red hot awl."

But I still prefer subs, since the original Japanese VAs are almost always better than the English counterparts, even the good ones.

• Brohoof 1

Gotta go with subs; no question. There've only been a few anime series I've watched with bearable English VA, and even a few of them barely make the cut. There are some that are really well done, but even then, you just can't beat the original Japanese VA.

I prefer wubs B)

I don't mind the grammar errors, or occasional bad translations in the subtitles. Heck, I learn what those signs written in Japanese say...

But I often find myself watching the dub over the sub because I am too lazy to read it all; regardless how bad the voices are. I just suffer through it, and get the most out of the story I can.

But afterwords, in the mourning time when I finished the anime; I look funny clips up on youtube, and really only watch them subbed.

I really, really prefer subs over dubs but when I have Netflix and they have a nice assortment of anime on there it is just so much easier to watch dubbed over subbed. Personally I loved the Japanese voices. Plus the viewing experience feels more authentic in its native tongue.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the show, really. For example, I rather like the current Funimation One Piece dub, I can count on one hand the things they miss or mess up. But some things, like the Sketchbook anime (though I would like to see a dub of it someday) is probably better off with just subtitles, because much of the humor is language based, and would typically be lost in translation.

I usually pick dubs. Even though there are some that aren't great, I find it helps me keep more focused on the anime, instead of reading subtitles all the time, and maybe missing something visual in the anime.

Really not as into anime as I used to be, but generally I prefer dubbed versions. I get really pulled out of what's happening if I have to read subs and watch the action at the same time, and sometimes I have to go back when the subs go by too quickly and bluuuuuh. It's a mess.

I pefer subs because I like to hear what the caraters originaly sound like plus alot of times they change what they said slightly in the dubs rather it be a japanese pun or certan object however dubs aren't terrible I watched a few dubbed series.