Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Subs Or Dubs?

Sepia-chan

Subs or Dubs?  

63 users have voted

1. 1. Subs or Dubs?

• Subs
    • Dubs

I vastly prefer all but the worst dubs to a sub. The reason is that it takes my eyes away from the action to read the subs. This is not to say I wont watch a fansub anime -- just that I prefer a dubbing. Of course if the dub is so very bad that it is an utter embarrassment then ....

I wonder how many people out there learned japanese just to watch animes.

I definitely prefer dubs instead of subs, I just want to watch the show and listen, I don't really want to combine those with reading words, takes a bit away from the viewing experience, at least for me.

Dragonball Z's original Japanese dub is the most annoying thing I've ever heard, whereas I absolutely love the English dub. And I usually hate dubs. With the exception of DBZ, I prefer subs. The attempt to lip-synch with the translated dialogue always ends up sounding disingenuous or strained, and not having to do that with subtitles allows the translator more liberty to alter the translation to suit western sensibilities without compromising the original meaning. Or he can keep things exactly as they are and add sidenotes to explain cultural references so we can enjoy the show as it was meant to be and lose nothing in translation.

Japanese is a beautiful language to me and listening to it as much as I have has inspired me to start learning it.

I would go with dubs, because subtitles just take out the fun out of watching everything! It's like a reading a book more than enjoy a show for me :/

What's wrong with reading a book? Has Rainbow Dash not shown us all about the joys of reading? What about Twilight Sparkle? She LIVES in a library!

(I'd love to live in a library!)

While I don't typically watch anime like ever. I am not a native English speaker, so I feel like I have some perspective.

Growing up, I used to watch a lot of cartoons on the BBC, now these cartoons had neither subs or dubs to speak of. Sometimes I'd watch cartoons from local channels, but more often then not they were on the BBC cause they lasted longer and I liked that as a kid.

As a result I have grown quite fond of not needing subtitles and abhor having to hear dubs in my Glob forsaken language.

On a side note, I don't have the best of eyes, And seeing things from a distance isn't the most fun I can have, so generally I even try to avoid subtitling when watching TV. That and I don't like to be distracted by subtitles I don't need.

As for having them on a potentially other foreign language entertainment, I would have to say no. I doubt I'd enjoy it. And being kind of lazy to learn, I'd prefer a good English dub over anything else. However, I don't require or expect it of anyone, but if my viewership matters, it's what I'd like.

I definitely prefer subtitles. I guess the reason is because I've heard some pretty bad dubs (the Bleach dub is probably the worst I heard).

If it's an anime on netflix, I'll give the dub a chance but what happens more often than not is that one or more of the voices is annoying, so I have to switch to subs. Also, I kinda like hearing the Japanese language for some reason.

The only negative to subs is that I don't get a lot of the cultural references but that's okay because there are usually notes to explain them and most of the time they aren't integral to enjoy the show.

I generally prefer subs for anime and other such shows because they keep the original audio which has the intended feeling and emotion for that scene. Otherwise, it seems like they are just trying to dub over what the person is saying and make it look realistic rather than make sense. Then, you get things like this:

What's wrong with reading a book? Has Rainbow Dash not shown us all about the joys of reading? What about Twilight Sparkle? She LIVES in a library!

(I'd love to live in a library!)

I never said reading a book was bad, but when im watching TV i much rather watch the show than have subs on because then its like reading a book rather than watching TV. Edited by bobthecableman

it depends on the voice acting the older dubs were awesome i all ways watch the dubs for Outlaw Star, Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Afro Samurai all the good old stuff.

however the newer anime's well is very hit and miss there are sum dubs are so damn good like Hellsing Ultimate, Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the shell,... and that's it rely i go for sub for the rest because the dubing for shows like Naruto, Bleach and *gets bucket* One Piece *thows up* sorry its a reflex.... the dubs sucked

I've always prefered dubs to be honest, like somepony else said I'm trying to watch a show not read a book.

Unless it's like a VERY bad dub or they actually remove big chunks of the show then I'll actually watch the dub. But very seldom have I had that happen.. like with Digimon. :P

Ew I hate dubs. It looks so ugly. Nono. I want subtitles. I think it's annoying when you see them saying one thing but the sound doesn't match the lips

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

I don't understand how anyone can bear to watch the dubs I mean I get it if they can't read but seriously subs are superior in every aspect none of the actors in dubs can perform as well as the originals chosen for the role by the producing staff of the show it just cannot be done. 

dont hate me, but i favour the dubs. its a mix of having grown up with various anime being shown on daytime TV being dubbed (often badly, it was the 90s) and the fact that when im watching an anime im either drawing/working on something else or falling asleep on the sofa/in bed. So i rely on my hearing more than my eyes. Plus theres a lot of VAs ive grown up hearing and falling in love with their characters, why change that? (Matt Hill & Josh Seth yes plz) 

I dont utterly shun subs though. Denz and I watch a lot of asian cinema subbed. because it is better in its original. Heck i started watching Ghibli movies subbed first. Then found out they had been dubbed.

THE MOST annoying thing about dubbed movies and TV shows is that there are usually 2 versions. The original dub vs updated newer dubs dont utterly bother me, but its the UK vs US ones i hate. America you have ruined Asterix films!!!!!!!!! It's not Vitamix, hes called Getafix in english! Some of the Asterix movies are VERY hard to find download and DVD versions, so im always pissed off when I finally find a opy of "The Big Fight" and its the crappy US dub. I dread to think that they have re-dubbed Asterix in Britain. ugh 

Anyway. im 50/50 on it really, but I opt more for dubs if I can.

Personal faves: Cowboy Bebop, The Seven Deadly Sins, Wolf's Rain, Lupin III series, Hellsing Ultimate

The ones I grew up with but still watch the dubs (dont hate me): Pokemon (up to Master Quest and Movie 8), Digimon (up to series 2), Card Captors, Moomin, Naruto

Edited by StormBlaze

I always prefer films in their original language version, and if I can't understand it, then I use subtitles. In my opinion, dubbing a show removes much of the original intent. What does remain of an actor's work if you remove his voice?

Though, if I watch TV or go to the cinema, then I have to watch foreign films in dubs, because all of them get dubbed in my country.

Edited by Spacbatalanto

I prefer dubs for the simple reason that 90% of the time I'm watching anime, its on a T.V. next time me while I'm working on something else on my computer.  I've always found it hard to just sit and watch T.V. without doing something else at the same time.  This makes reading subs hard as I have to devote my full attention to the show.  The only reason I'll do subs is if I want to watch something new and dubs aren't out yet.

I typically lean towards dubs. But I guess it depends on which I see first. If I watch a show that's subbed, I won't want to go to the dub and vice versa. 

The only exception is if a dub or native sub is bad. Then I'm open to the alternative.