Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Subs Or Dubs?

Sepia-chan

Subs or Dubs?  

63 users have voted

1. 1. Subs or Dubs?

• Subs
    • Dubs

When I watch anime (Which almost never happens), I try to watch subs if they're available, but every anime I've watched but Fairy Tail is known for their dubs. One thing about anime is that they are Japanese cartoons, and if I'm watching English subtitles for the Japanese language, it feels more like I'm watching just that, a Japanese cartoon. If it's in English, it doesn't feel as much like anime.

I used to hate subs, because I'd only ever watched dubs. However, since I started watching subs, watching dubs has become obsolete for me. If I rewatch Cowboy Bebop, Kiki's Delivery Service or Lucky Star again, I'll more than likely pull out the English dub because both are three of the best I know, but I'd go to subs for the rest.

I don't have a pre-set opinion. I like whatever is done best. There are plenty of occasions where the original is best and quite a few where I enjoy the dubbed versions. For example, I prefer the dubbed version of Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro because the English voice casts are impeccable. Some English voice casts are better than others. I vastly prefer the British dub of Arrietty over the American dub, which sounded like the same generic American voice-over actors I've heard a thousand times.

Still, when I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like reading my way through a movie it's nice to have a dubbed version, even when it's not the best quality. I don't think Kirsten Dunst was exactly scintillating in Kiki's Delivery Service but it doesn't bother me either. As long as I can follow the movie and it's not too distracting, I'm okay with it. When I watch Your Name I can enjoy it subbed OR dubbed. The original subbed version is my favorite in this case, but the dubbed version matches the sound of the original actors quite well. My biggest complaint is when they change dialog unnecessarily, soften dialog they consider too racy or add/delete lines just for the dub. Spirited Away, in it's original form had no closing line at the very end where the Americans added one. It's not a big deal, but integrity to the original material should be considered paramount. 

So that's my opinion. I can go either way without too much objection. It really depends on the individual movie and the job done, whether it's subbed or dubbed.    

Subs. I honestly don't need to understand what the characters are saying; as long as English subtitles are there, than that's good enough for me. :rarity:

Not to mention, most dubs are horrible. Trust me; I've seen English Godzilla movies. It's a nightmare.

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 1

Obviously it depends but given the choice I'll generally go for a dub

With my favorites I watch them subbed when they come out and then again once a dubbed version is released. It's a great excuse to watch a series twice <3

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the anime like One piece and fullmetal alchemist (dub), as for  the rest i preferred sub. 

I am subs all the way. Usually, at least to me, dubs are very...bad, often having really bad acting all around whether it be terrible expressions of emotion or cringeworthy female voices. A couple that I have exceptions for are Trigun and One Piece which are both actually quite good with their dub. For the most part though, Japanese sounds far more natural in these shows.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Subs. Dubbed isn't always the greatest and that sometimes takes me out of the experience. Sure, some anime actually have decent dubs, but I often don't even bother taking the chance.

• Brohoof 1

Dub, pretty much all the time unless there is no dub. I just prefer to focus on the visuals as much as possible and if I'm constantly looking down at the subtitles, I'm not getting to do that.

Outside of anime (or animation), always the sub, without a doubt. I can't stand to watch a live action movie dubbed (unless it's done for comedic purposes), it's just way too jarring.

I tend to lean mostly for subs when it comes to anime.  I have a few I will do dub for like:

• Dragonball Z
  • Cowboy Beboop
  • R.Kenshin
  • Trigun
  • YYU
  • Inuyasha

Subs mainly, but I cant stand the japanese voices for Goku (DBZ) and Meowth (Pokemon)

I also watched Cowboy Bebop in english and didn't get what all the fuss was about

It really depends man, some Funimation dubs really are good, like FMAB or Fairytail, but if you watch Yashahime in English you will hate having the ability to hear lol, I've watched a lot of my favorites subbed before English release, and if a show or movie is good enough I will try it with subtitles, I prefer subbed elfen lied

Depends on the show, some anime, just some dialogue and jokes I really don’t think translate well in English, like Keijo. Others, like DBZ or Cowboy Bebop, I have to watch in English, I can’t do them in Japanese