Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Galloping Gala 2012 designs from DeviantArt

Krall

I like these, but agree on Pinkies not matching her personality.

I find it too bland compared to what Rarity gave her for the pervious Gala.

The rest of the dresses I love though, Especially Fluttershy adn Twilight's dresses. They make me go :wub:

You could also have a peek at the CMC gala dresses made in roughly the same manner by a different artist: (I think the artists have spoken together about the dresses)

Apple bloom:

Posted Image

http://miesmauz.devi...%2F8536304&qo=4

Sweetie Belle:

Posted Image

http://fc03.devianta...auz-d4gk5sk.jpg

Scootaloo:

Posted Image

http://browse.devian...+dress#/d4kykut

I especially like the Sweatie Belle one. :)

I dislike all of the designs. Rainbow Dash's is too blue and bland, it blends it waaay too much with her body, and does not match her personality at all like the official gala dress. Also, she'd never do her hair like that.

Twilight's looks less like a dress and more like the outfit of a strange magical unicorn cult. If it was being used for that, then yes, I would think it was awesome. However, as a dress, it is hideous. The colours are too dark and not vivid enough for the show, they once again blend in too much with her coat, The only thing I like about this is the bronze, which I think was a good idea. Oh and the sparkles in her hair. I also think that's an improvement over the official dress. Otherwise? No, not really my thing.

Fluttershy's suffers from too much bland again and more blending in with her. It's too simple and isn't really good for a gala dress which are supposed to be elaborate and fancy. I could accept it as an occasional simple sundress she wears sometimes when she's playing with her animals. As that, it is very adorable. Her original gala dress though is once again superior to her personality and represents her more with its more naturalistic feel. I will concede the flower on her head is a nice touch though.

With Applejack, we have once again the problem of THAT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A DRESS FOR A FANCY PARTY. It doesn't even look like a dress! Just like Twilight Sparkle's. That looks more like something she'd wear to rope an animal. The colours of the outfit are too dull to fit the show once again, and too dark. It is too bland to be a gala dress even though Applejack is practical and simplistic.

I like the idea behind Pinkie Pie's, but like the others, it suffers from blandness. Especially since this is PINKIE PIE we're talking about. Her dress should be vivacious and full of colours and candy! The original represents this nicely. This one does not. It has a limited colour palette, the pink part blends in too much with her, and brown isn't a Pinkie Pie colour even though chocolate rain. Also, I think her hair should be crazier. I think it is a nice touch though with the colourful streamerlike candy things. Not elegant enough to be a gala dress overall.

So whilst I kind of like the overall designs, I think they are inappropriate for the characters which they are supposed to represent, first of all. And second, I think as gala dresses they are far too simple and bland.

Minus CMC. I think those are good enough to be on the show itself! Sweetie Belle reminds me of Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Which makes it more awesome. They're simplistic for fillies and use the bright colours that the show is known for. Although my least favourite is probably Scootaloo's. I think it could be more... awesome and cooler since she's not really that girly.

• 1 month later...

Well, spiritto finally uploaded their Gala dress for Rarity:

Posted Image

Finally!

Here I present you "Diamond Dust" the gala attire created for our dearest Rarity.

I have to say it, it is my favorite from the series.

It is inspired on the childlike empress, from The Neverending story. And it follows the concept of diamond dust floating in the wind. I wanted to give her a very elegant, almost royalty look. My main worry was to make the diamonds add to the design instead of overpower it.

I have been watching some fantastic tutorials lately in which I have learned the seven principles of design . (continuity, variety, repetition, rhythm, unity, emphasis and balance). So I tried my best to apply them to the dress.

I remember those snobby Canterlot Unicorns saying that her creations were a little "country". I bet the look on their faces will be PRICELESS in the 2012 Gala,

It took forever, but it was worth it. Now I have to finish Discord´s and Celestia´s (Solemn Dawn and Divide and Conquer).

I like the dress, but I am a little disappointed - the long wait and the fact that it was Rarity made me build up an image of a supremely fabulous design in my mind that this design, whilst still good, does not measure up to. And for some reason the skirt/cloak part looks out of place, like it's not actually attached to the dress, but is a separate piece of cloth that's lying on her back.

I do like the diamond/swirly design of the skirt, but something about the ensemble as a whole doesn't work for me.

Thank you for posting this thread Krall, especially in the posting of Rarity's to complete the set. I think I like all of these designs for different reasons...because I'm not exactly a fashionista or have any real sense of how fashion works at all, I can't quite critique the designs in the way others might.

However, I feel that others who have commented that they seem a bit too bland and not quite formal enough are correct, at least when it comes to Applejack's, Rainbow Dash's, and Fluttershy's. While I did like those designs, they seemed a bit too simple and not...fanciful enough. Pinkie's design, while better, also still seemed to lack some extra pizzazz.

Rarity and Twilight's designs were, I feel, the best of the lot. Maybe it's the color combinations, or maybe it's just because I like how dresses end up looking on them, but I really adore both designs, especially Twilight's.

The only ones that are show worthy in my opinion are Rainbow Dash and and Fluttershy, both seem to fit well with their characters, are pretty and do remind me of something I could see in the show.

Twilight dress doesnt look like something anypony would wear at a gala, maybe it would fit for the next history play?

Applejack is just weird, ugly, I dont like it.

And Pinkie Pie is fine and pretty, but she would never wear something like that, she needs something flashier!

Oh and Rarity, she looks pretty good, but I dont think that's really her style

Edited by Eenohay

• 1 month later...

I have to say I like Fluttershy's the best. At first I thought the colors didn't really suit her but after looking at it again, I found that it seems simple and sort of, calming. So, in a way I'd say it suits her almost perfectly. :)

Applejack's dress makes her look like an old-Western assassin. Badass, but unfit for the Gala. ^_^

Applebloom's is cool, too.

Hell, I like the Apple family! :o

While I agree with all the previous posters about how Pinkie's dress is a little bland compared to her personality, but I do like it for one reason: It doesn't have that hat! I mean I like Pinkie's original dress, but her hat just seems awkward and out of place. It's a little nitpicky, but that's what I think. This design for Pinkie, while maybe not true to her, is more visually pleasing in my opinion.