Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why the Hype with Princess Luna?

Homura Akemi

Extreme curiosity has driven me to write this thread.Why is Princess Luna so hyped up?I don't hate Princess Luna as a character or anything, but her little "fandom" is something I can't put my finger on. It almost irks me in a way that I wish to know. Yes, she has a very nice design, but she really hasn't done much in the show at all. Is it the same reason background ponies are so popular? Then again, she isn't exactly a "background character" either. She's a co-ruler of Equestria. Yet at the same time, she has only appeared in 3 episodes as Luna, because the first episode she was just Night Mare Moon.I like Luna's voice. I like her design, as I said before. She has a decent personality. I like her unique speech pattern after not knowing what the hell had changed in so many years. The thing is I haven't seen enough of her to really be her "fan." Then I think about Discord. He appeared in 2 episodes and I like him. Perhaps he rubbed off as more memorable to me?I am a fan of Celestia. She simply has a great voice, a great character design, and is very loving, gentle, and kind to the mane 6. I understand she doesn't seem like she's always there. I think that's because she puts her trust in the girls. She knows they represent the Elements of Harmony for a reason, and therefore refrains from their activity a lot of the time. I admire that when Luna transformed into Night Mare Moon and decided to become a tyrant for eternal night for the whole land of Equestria, Celestia tried to reason with her sister, even when she refused. She had no choice but to punish her for what her selfish sibling deserved. The elder sister then took her own sister's job for 1,000 years. She trusted that Twilight would solve the mystery at the end of the 1,000 years, which is why the mane 6 became friends. Perhaps if it weren't for Luna's selfishness, the 6 would have never met at her stage of defeat. Heck, she wasn't even that hard to defeat. Night Mare Moon wasn't a fantastic villain, either.I can easily say I like Luna's regular from better than Night Mare Moon, but why the hype? I'd like some personal reasons of why you guys like Luna. What makes her so special? Why does she deserve to be the 5th most popular pony in Equestria Daily's Favorite Pony list in January 2012?I know a lot of people on these forums are very kind, so I trust I won't have to say: No butthurt "B'AAAW UR NUT LUNAZ BIHGHEST FAHN" COMMENTS HERE. This thread was meant to support Luna's positive qualities in resulting in her popularity.

Edited by Twilie Sparkle
  • Brohoof 9

Well, for one she's VERY cute. The way she talks and just her looks in general are adorable. Also, she was changed by the EoH while being on the moon for 1000 years, so people have sympathy. She is just a very cute, clever and good all around character. She also has amazing quotes!

• Brohoof 7

I like Luna because how adorable she is. The fact that she uses "We" and "Us" when she speaks. She's an interesting pony who went bad and then good. Not to mention she was the first ever villain.

• Brohoof 1

I think people relate to her as an outsider. Even with her position as co-ruler, she isnt trusted by joe pony. She is distanced. Plus some people just enjoy the night and relate to her that way as well. She is very easy to like.

• Brohoof 4

I think people relate to her as an outsider. Even with her position as co-ruler, she isnt trusted by joe pony. She is distanced. Plus some people just enjoy the night and relate to her that way as well. She is very easy to like.

I've noticed a lot of bronies/bros/pegasisters/(whatever) tend to call themselves "outsiders." I think that's kind of sad. I don't really think Luna is one, but she was feared for a good reason. At least she got a happy ending.

Why not? Every other background pony, side character, and main pony is.

People just like certain designs and Luna is no exception.

I wouldn't say every one of those characters are hyped up. We have minor characters such as Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Snip, Snails, Prince Blueblood, and Gilda who have no love whatsoever.

I like Luna for all the reasons you mentioned in your post, Dismajo, but I also think she's just really cute. Also, I love all the awesome and cute fan art that there is floating around the internet. You can't deny that the Royal Canterlot Voice is awesome either. B)

Personally I love her :)

I think everypony likes her because she made a good first impression on her debut,awesome design and her "Haha! The fun has been doubled!" Isn't uncommon in memes.

The way she talks is also kina cute

I wouldn't say every one of those characters are hyped up. We have minor characters such as Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Snip, Snails, Prince Blueblood, and Gilda who have no love whatsoever.

Ok so maybe every last one isn't, but come on that's way besides the point. Besides you used the characters who have annoying or spiteful personalities as an example.

Because she was freaking adorable in the episode that featured her? I know some of where you're coming from, I don't much care for background ponies because I watch largely for the character's unique personalities and how they interact, but Luna eclipsed was a terrific episode. They completely contradicted what I thought she would be like and made me just want to give her a hug. Perhaps she is overhyped by some, but of all the characters that aren't central to the show she is my favorite.

• Brohoof 1

Ok so maybe every last one isn't, but come on that's way besides the point. Besides you used the characters who have annoying or spiteful personalities as an example.

True, but Twist also isn't very popular, and she isn't spiteful. Then again, she's rather dweeby. From what we know about Bon Bon in the show, she's rather rude, but that's another background pony. I suppose it's all a game of chance with viewers.

She's adorable and had the potential to be a good character. I think maybe people are such huge fans in the HOPES that because she has loads of fans...you'll see more of her... like them actually making derpy hooves a character because of derpy's fan base?

She's neglected and maybe they feel like she needs more love than the others.

I mostly like her because she is very sweet and kind. She's actually very similar to something like the sister I never had!

Also most people found her very cute during the first episode, as she got older she strightened out and got.....How should I say.....Hotter?

• Brohoof 1

She's in my top three favorite ponies, for a few reasons. One, her personality and backstory. She's the kind of pony who seemingly likes to be in control and demand respect, but deep down she wants acceptance and understanding; not unlike so many out there in our own world. In a way, you feel sorry for her. She's made some mistakes that screwed her life up pretty badly, and even though she's served out her punishment for them, she can't seem to catch much of a break. Because of this, I think, she is a little bitter about it all and makes that a large part of her outgoing personality, but on the inside I would bet she's really a sweetheart who is scared and lonely. Such a deep and misunderstood pony.

Second, she's downright beautiful. Probably one of, if not the best designed pony in the show. There's something about the "darkness" of her design and the way it complements her features that is matched by no other. I mean:

Posted Image

She's almost mesmerizing to look at; one could quite easily get lost in her luminous eyes and flowing mane, not to mention the deep and near mysterious blues' of her coat.

...Ahem, you get the idea.

Last not not least, she has some great lines; she's a fish out of water in the Nightmare Night episode, and the way she reacts to everything is hilarious and touching at the same time. I really do hope she gets more roles in the future, I think her character is one of the most underused on the show; she has so much wonderful potential, because she's so unexplored and dark, yet a kind and caring soul.

This is why Luna is a big deal. :P

• Brohoof 3

As everyone says, the royal we is a big part. Also she is the darkest character so far, both in her past, and in her color scheme. Not all of us like the whole constant happiness thing.

The basic rule of thumb, at least as I understand it, is that characters that aren't really fleshed out yet maintain impact on the narrative tend to accumulate followings. A classic example is Boba Fett from Star Wars. If you were a kid in the early 90s as I was, you knew Fett was cool. Why? He's a faceless bounty hunter with laser guns. Bear in mind that Fett shows up for only a few scenes in Empire Strikes Back and subsequently gets knocked unceremoniously into the Sarlacc in Return of the Jedi. The expanded universe, increasingly fueled by older fans (i.e., the writers and artists who were once fans are now paid to make official work), expanded Fett's story to make him a 90s Anti-Hero. The bottom line is that Boba Fett is beloved despite not actually appearing much in the films. Love him or hate him, he has a large presence within the Star Wars fandom.

I think the same principle partly applies to Princess Luna. She shows up for a total of four episodes, two of which feature her as a villain and another which is basically a walk-on role without much substance. Only "Luna Eclipsed" provides a dedicated narrative focus for Luna as opposed to her Night Mare Moon persona; and in "Luna Eclipsed", she is given distinct quirks (e.g., her anachronistic mannerisms and speech) which make her character stand out. So enough canon material exists to provide fans with context for Luna. Yet, because she is not completely fleshed out, they are free to reinterpret her character in a variety of lights. The only major line in the sand I can think of are fan depictions of Luna prior to and following her appearance in "Luna Eclipsed"; in other words, her mannerisms and appearance completely change from her previous showing ("Friendship is Magic, Part 2"). From what I've seen, fans just tend to split the difference and mesh the two together in order to get the desired result. The bottom line is you can project a lot onto Princess Luna without violating her character.

Let us not forget, too, that Luna's appeal is duly enhanced by her enigmatic background---we only have a digested version of her downfall presented from Celestia's perspective---and alicorn appearance. I think we can all agree that alicorns grab our attention more readily because they are so rare. (Unless you happen to venture among OCs: then there are apparently hundreds of nephews and nieces of Princess Celestia running around Equestria.) Furthermore, they are intended to be attractive---not necessarily sexually, however. (I condition that because it is arguable that the infusion of human features makes this possible, even if it is not intended.) But clearly her mane, physical stature, and facial features are all accentuated among the ponies. In other words, Luna, like Celestia (and, later, Cadance), is already designed as appealing. Thus fans are going to pay her special attention, even if not everyone universally finds her as equally appealing.

Personally, I like Luna a lot. More specifically, I really like her mane (insert voice cracking here). I'm also easily charmed by adorkable characters that mean well but are socially aloof in some manner. It provides a contrast to Celestia who possesses seemingly natural social grace. Add onto all of that an interesting if still underdeveloped backstory, and I think you have the makings of a pretty interesting character. Furthermore, I don't try to compare her to Celestia, though. Just like Tom Servo told Mike when Joel returned to the Satellite of Love, it ain't healthy, man. Celestia fulfills another niche of which I am fond. To me, the two royal sisters can serve to compliment one another beyond the obvious, i.e., sun versus moon; darkness versus light. Those complimentary roles nevertheless enhance the unique and attractive qualities I find in both Celestia and Luna.

Condensed version: Luna may not be best pony in everyone's hearts, but there is ample reason to like her.

Posted Image

Edited by Ra's al-Spoon
  • Brohoof 5

I think people's obsession over her can be traced to her character itself. Luna is a very edgy, and mysterious figure, that we really still don't know much about. Her switch from a villain to a protagonist can also be attribute. Plus her character design is one of the best in the series.

~~

I like Luna, her color scheme is really nice, and in all honesty her season 1 look was freaking adorable... Then her season 2 look was badass... I don't truly care for her voice, but her personality is awesome.

Luna is awesome. Easy as a cranberry juice.

Now, really, she is awesome. Her voice is what i most like about her. It' just delicious to hear(HUZZAH is my notification tone). Her visual is incredibly badass too, and she knows how to make a entrance.

The only thing I can really think of that people might say is that it gave us a chance to see how Twilight was able to help somepony who was going through a similar scenario; both of them were very socially awkward in the beginning. I personally favor her "original" form as Nightmare Moon (who is also the first villain). She allowed relatively quick character development over the course of two episodes. When I say this, I mean that after those two episodes, we knew enough about the mane 6 to be able to relate to specific ones and decide our favorite ponies (if we have any). That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by techno915