Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why the Hype with Princess Luna?

Homura Akemi

(edited)

For me Luna just seems far more interesting and still has secrets and things we don't know about her. Celestia we've seen as a mentor, and as a sister and we sadly haven't seen Celestia do much power wise other than raise the sun. Luna also being banished and returning and being clueless to Equestria today is both cute and funny. I also love Luna's design and Nightmare Moon's design. 

Edited by MLPFanatic34

(edited)

Luna has lived in her sister's shadow for a long time. And she ended up being exploited by the nightmare force because of her deep despair and resentment. So she's a pretty sympathetic character IMO. Banished for 1000 years, then returns home, only to find that Equestria is far different from the Equestria she once knew, and with the other ponies not yet fully trusting her, she felt very isolated, like Twilight Sparkle was her only true friend and the only one who could understand what she was going through.

Also, she provided some of the best lines, like "How many points do I receive?", "The fun has been doubled!", "Tis a lie!", etc.

Oh man, this again!

I love Luna. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate her. I've never said once on my profile or in this comment section ''I Hate Princess Luna'.'

She is an interesting character. With a beautiful design. But she gets far too much adoration.

Why? Honestly why?

What does Luna do that makes her so special? More important then Celestia. Stay on the moon all day? Haunt dreams and nightmares?

In the Season 2 finale, A Canterlot Wedding, where is Luna during the battle? We never see her until she flies down from the moon and through the force field and tells Celestia to get some sleep and she'll watch over and then before Love is in Bloom starts. Where was she when Chrysalis overpowered her sister?

Now look at Sleepless in Ponyville...
She is being the Headless Horse in Scootaloo's dream yes. But that's all she does then comes to her in the dream and tell her to face her fear then vanishes until Scootaloo dreams again. That's it!

But the last thing to point out...fans forget that Luna was once Nightmare Moon and was an evil doer. She herself wanted to cast the world into eternal night and who knows what else she tried to do before Celestia used the Elements on her. I've even seen some people say that Celestia only banished her to the moon for fun/cause Celestia the bad guy, not "Poor Little Woona"/Etc., but honestly that argument just doesn't add up. You'd kill all life on Earth if plants didn't get sun, silly!

I also think this is due to people overhyping the For the NLR song that would nowadays be considered to be PINO (Pony in Name only) and the fact that Luna has got her own episode while Celestia hasn't yet.

I feel like Luna gets too much love and Celestia gets too much hate for no reason whatsoever.

In Luna's defense, she wasn't truly herself. She definitely had bitter, resentful feelings, anyone would if someone who was supposed to love them always overshadowed them (I know Tia didn't mean to, but that's what Luna felt). She was a prime target for Nightmare Moon, and in the MLP comics, we can clearly see this same being corrupt Rarity, who is normally extremely refined and polite, and would never hurt a fly), and even though she puts up a good fight, she turns into Nightmare Rarity in the end until her friends save her. I don't blame Tia for banishing her, she had no choice, because she knew no way to free her sister from Nightmare Moon, and she tried her best to stop her, even refusing to fight her.

As for Canterlot Wedding, it was daytime, and when she appears, it's just getting to nighttime, when it's her shift. She has appeared in episodes where she helped the CMC while visiting their dreams, we don't see Tia with her. This is because they take turns sleeping.

If Luna was awoken, she undoubtedly would've helped, but since everything happened so suddenly, and she couldn't afford to leave her people unprotected from QC, she had no choice but to stay and fight her. She thought for sure she would win, not taking into account that QC was pumped up on so much love power.

Edited by Pegasus

For me, it is due to a combination of factors: the lack of screentime she receives, and how interesting her character is, both in her personality as well as her visual design. Firstly, her lack of screentime peaks my curiosity about her character, so the moments when she does appear are more special than they would be if she appeared on a regular basis. Her character design is absolutely beautiful as well. All of the ponies' are, but I especially love Celestia's and Luna's, what with their flowing manes, and how their character designs represent fundamental aspects of nature. She is also a likeable and fascinating character, who progressed from a state of spiritual darkness, to an early state of healing, to a state of maturity, as evidenced throughout the show thus far. 

Also forgot to say, I also prefer Luna simply because she deserves more screentime than she's gotten. I'm glad season 4 managed to show her a bit more than previous seasons, but I hope she'll be shown a lot more in season 5.

I know this thread is old i feel like adding something. First off i don't agree that celstia tried reasoning with her,first off in the first episodes Luna starts feeling unnapreciated for what is basically her, celestia doesn't bother doing anything till it's too late. And sends her to the moon for a thousand years. I will always hate celestia in the show (though i rarely do in fics) in the season 4 flash back we find luna wielded honesty loyalty and laughter. It annoys me to no end that a pony that was a paragon of loyalty honesty and laughter fell so far as to be corrupted by the nightmare forces.

But anyway im getting of track i love luna because i can empathise with her im loyal im honest and always trying to make people laugh,i am a cancer zodiac born on a new moon at 7 mins to midnight on the first of the month.

I have always had an affinity for the night ever since i can remember i'd stay up at night and smell the night air watch the moon. The moon is my ruling planet so it affects me a lot. Heck the moon has brought me to tears as i watch it. And heck i am weird an outsider always have been.

I also find luna sexually attractive as well as romantically attractive, plus shes so adorable with her Elizabethan speech. She has a great personality and in my oppinion better than celestia. And lets not forget luna helps all the ponies as they sleep and teaches the fillies and colts moral lessons in a far more personal way than sit back watch and eat cake celestia.

And before i am asked yes i am NLR

Yeah, I think Luna does have a more hooves on approach now that I think about it, but Tia had no idea her sister had those feelings, since she kept them bottled inside. It was only when she was affected by Nightmare Moon that she found out about her sister's feelings. She didn't want to fight her sister, she refused to, but she couldn't defend herself and Equestria, because NMM was far too powerful. By banishing NMM, she saved Equestria, but she has had to live with the fact that she had to banish her sister. I believe that this is why Tia guided Twi towards her friends, so they can save her sister from NMM.

Anyways, it's clearly shown that Luna had no grudges after she was restored, and Tia missed Luna as much as she missed Tia. They're both on the same page now, and that's the best way to remember them, not as enemies.