Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Your Favorite Episode?

AppleShy Sparkle

Now having viewed every episode in its English-language version, my definitive top 10 (no S9 finale spoilers) includes:

1. Lesson Zero

2. Hurricane Fluttershy

3. The Best Night Ever

4. It's About Time

5. The Return of Harmony

6. Sleepless in Ponyville

7. Party of One

8. Pinkie Pride

9. Read It and Weep

10. The Last Roundup

Were it not for its botched moral, I would genuinely consider including Feeling Pinkie Keen (the anvil sequence and the 'explosion' exchange between Pinkie and Spike are golden). 

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies

• 2 weeks later...

My definitive top 10 now that the show is over:

10. Hearths Warming Eve- It's just here for how funny the character interactions are. Especially Pinkie and Applejack. Some of Pinkie's best lines are from this episode.

9. Sonic Rainboom- A really interesting look into Rainbow's character. And it has a nice sprinkling of good jokes and our first look at Cloudsdale.

8. Road to Friendship- Starlight and Trixie have such a great dynamic in this episode. The song is fantastic and the voice actresses nail every line.

7. It's About Time- Another hilarious episode. I love this logical interpretation of crazy Twilight and I love how Pinkie takes over the episode halfway through.

6. Wonderbolts Academy- The story with Rainbow is extremely tightly written and makes an old story feel new again. And the Pinkie subplot brings so good comic relief.

5. Stranger Than Fanfiction- My favorite post season 3 episode. I love Quibble's character and Patton Oswalt does a great job voicing him. The moral is really well handled, it's exciting, and it's pretty funny.

4. The Last Roundup- It doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but everything is so polished. The comedy is great, the characters all get their moments, the story is interesting, and there's some action.

3. Hurricane Fluttershy- It's in the same vein as Wonderbolts Academy where it makes a tired story seem fresh again with such good execution. Except this one isn't bogged down with a subplot, making it more focused.

2. The Best Night Ever- One of the best songs of the show, fantastic comedy, and an interesting story.

1. Lesson Zero- I've already gushed about this episode enough. It's different from every other episode of the show in a good way. It has great tension and goes way more meta than any other story of the show (except Fame and Misfortune).

Now that the series is officially over here is my top 10:

1. A Royal problem- this episode is just perfect, the sisters interactions, twilight ballerina thing and how crazy she was its all just hilarious, starlight was great in this episode even her nightmare before celestia appeared was so clever(the flowers that she fell into were the ones luna used, the pancakes saying what celestia told her and then how she was the ballerina thing and twilight was the giant one yelling at her what she said in the episode with the sisters cutie marks in her eyes) and the battle between nightmare moon and daybreaker is just so good. I watched this episode over a hundred times by this point.
  2.   The pearfect pear- The most touching episode in the show, we finally learned about AJs parents and the delivery was amazing I have no words how to describe it, nothing can express how good this episode is.
  3.  The beginning of the end- The best 2 parter in the series, its epic, every character has a moment to shine and finally sombra fulfilling his potential(maybe I am slightly biased, but its my list so its fair). This premier has everything a premier should have.
  4. Amending fancies- a touching episode in which we learn more about twilights life in canterlot, a very good lesson and the episode is just so fun to watch.
  5. Lesson Zero- Twilights best freak out by far, the episode is funny and just a joy to watch, never fails to make me smile.
  6. Crusaders of the lost mark- So many great songs,cmc getting their cutie marks, nice redemption and an emotional ending. Did I mention the cmc got their cutie marks?
  7. The cutie map- In my opinion the darkest episode in the series, a nice change of pace. The second best 2 parter in the series.
  8. The end of the end- best finale, its epic and just so satisfying.
  9. Party of one- best episode in season 1 by far. I still think this is pinkie pies best episode, her break down is too good.
  10. I can't decide, its between luna eclipsed, slice of life, frenemies, a canterlot wedding, the washouts, parental glaidence, the last problem and Flight to the finish.

Obviously all the mentioned episodes are stunning, easily 10\10.

I think I have a new favorite episode now in the series finale, The Last Problem, as I appreciated that they showed the fate of many characters in the time skip since Twilight's ascension. Twilight now looked like Celestia in terms of appearance with the longer horn and larger wings, but with her own styled version of the ethereal mane and tail based after her trademark style. Rarity had retired and left Carousel Boutique to Yona and Sandbar, and was showing signs of age with the gray in her mane and tail. Rainbow took over for Spitfire as Wonderbolts captain. Fluttershy still maintains her animal sanctuary and being with Discord, and Pinkie married Cheese Sandwich and had a kid. Pound and Pumpkin were grown, Flurry was mentioned to have taken over for Cadence and Shining Armor, though we don't know if they moved to Silver Shoals to join Celestia and Luna, Grand Pear and the Gold Horseshoe Gals have passed on to rejoin Pear Butter and Bright Mac in the afterlife, the Crusaders now teach at the School of Friendship with Silverstream, Ocellus, and Smolder, with Starlight, Sunburst, and Trixie still working there as Headmare, Vice-Headstallion, and Student Counselor, Big Mac and Applejack still work Sweet Apple Acres with Sugar Belle after Granny Smith passed on, and Equestria is at peace with all of its allies, coexisting together in friendship and harmony.

Definitely one of my favorite episodes, even with the grief and joy I'm enduring knowing it is the last one of the series and we won't be getting anything new until the series to start Generation 5 debuts in due time.

• 1 month later...

I love The Perfect Pear. Pear Butter and Bright Mac are such a cute couple :wub: They're my OTP.

Grannies Gone Wild is a really close second, though. I like how it shows one of Rainbow's better sides, and it's pretty entertaining, too.

Frenemies

It is just too good, has a really good song, focuses on something I wouldn't expect from MLP, is funny, well paced. It is hard to compare such a high quality and modern episode towards the older seasons. I don't think any FIM episodes can top that one. Only Equestria Girls Forgotten Friendship (uncut and final version, which doesn't exist anyways because Hasbro screwed up) beats Frenemies, but that's because it focuses on Sunset Shimmer and makes her such a lovable character, and extreme moments and drama, and super well made, and longer than an episode, and catchy songs, and Princess Celestia OMG moment that made me an official brony for life.

Edited by Splashee
grammer

I absolutely LOVE Crusaders of the Lost Mark. It's the only episode to have actually made me tear up a bit, it made me so happy ^_^

Another fav would be Testing Testing 1, 2, 3! Reason being because I have ADHD and it was nice to see a character in the show have the same problems in a learning environment as I do. I personally head canon RD with ADHD as well >_>

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 1:10 AM, Callisto said:

Apparently I've...never posted in this thread?! How is that possible? Well, whatever, I'm posting in it now!

So, anyway my favorite episode is Magical Mystery Cure, and I'm 99.9% sure it always will be. I've seen it so many times, and every time it makes me emotional. Probably has something to do with the fact that Twilight is my favorite fictional character ever and that I love her whole arc, huh? And I actually think it not being a two-parter works in it's favor; less was more in that case, IMO.

Some other favorites by season:

1: Winter Wrap Up, Green Isn't Your Color

2: Read It And Weep, Hurricane Fluttershy, Lesson Zero, A Canterlot Wedding (Yeah, I know this one's cool to hate these days, but darn it, I still think it's a blast to watch)

3: Keep Calm and Flutter On

4: Princess Twilight Sparkle, Maud Pie, Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

5: Crusader Of The Lost Mark, Amending Fences, Rarity Investigates, Make New Friends But Keep Discord

6: No Second Prances, The Saddle Row Review, Top Bolt, To Where And Back Again

7: Celestial Advice, All Bottled Up, Rock Solid Friendship, A Royal Problem, The Perfect Pear, Fame and Misfortune, Once Upon A Zeppelin, Uncommon Bond, Shadow Play (I like season 7.)

I'm not a critical type at all; I just go by how episodes make me feel. Being a critical type was how I stopped liking MLP in the first place; it took the joy of it out of me. So I'd rather not do that again. This post was way longer than I planned, whoops.

Oh, hey, I should add my favorite episodes of seasons 8 and 9 now!

8: Surf and/or Turf, Horse Play, The Parent Map, The Mean 6, The Hearth's Warming Club, On The Road To Friendship, The Washouts, What Lies Beneath, Sounds of Silence

9: The Beginning of the End, Frenemies, Student Counsel, The Last Crusade, Between Dark and Dawn, A Trivial Pursuit, The Summer Sun Setback, She Talks To Angel, A Horse Shoe-In, The Big Mac Question, The Ending of the End, The Last Problem

There's more here than the other seasons...maybe it's recency bias, maybe I got less conservative with what episodes I considered favorites, who knows?

Edited by Callisto
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/27/2018 at 1:10 AM, Callisto said:

Apparently I've...never posted in this thread?! How is that possible? Well, whatever, I'm posting in it now!

So, anyway my favorite episode is Magical Mystery Cure, and I'm 99.9% sure it always will be. I've seen it so many times, and every time it makes me emotional. Probably has something to do with the fact that Twilight is my favorite fictional character ever and that I love her whole arc, huh? And I actually think it not being a two-parter works in it's favor; less was more in that case, IMO.

Some other favorites by season:

1: Winter Wrap Up, Green Isn't Your Color

2: Read It And Weep, Hurricane Fluttershy, Lesson Zero, A Canterlot Wedding (Yeah, I know this one's cool to hate these days, but darn it, I still think it's a blast to watch)

3: Keep Calm and Flutter On

4: Princess Twilight Sparkle, Maud Pie, Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

5: Crusader Of The Lost Mark, Amending Fences, Rarity Investigates, Make New Friends But Keep Discord

6: No Second Prances, The Saddle Row Review, Top Bolt, To Where And Back Again

7: Celestial Advice, All Bottled Up, Rock Solid Friendship, A Royal Problem, The Perfect Pear, Fame and Misfortune, Once Upon A Zeppelin, Uncommon Bond, Shadow Play (I like season 7.)

I'm not a critical type at all; I just go by how episodes make me feel. Being a critical type was how I stopped liking MLP in the first place; it took the joy of it out of me. So I'd rather not do that again. This post was way longer than I planned, whoops.

Ah man, are you my kindred spirit? I LOVE MMC, and everything about Twilight. Her arc through the entire series has been a joy to watch, and seeing MMC for the first time had me in tears. I only wish it hadn't caused so much strife when it first aired... 2013 was a rough year. I definitely am on board with you though, MMC is my favorite episode! The Last Problem is probably a close second or third, due to it being the final capstone of Twilight's journey.

Also, I'm curious! Is it really cool to hate on A Canterlot Wedding? I must admit I don't pay super close attention to fandom stuff, but that's kind of surprising to read. I thought it was nearly universally praised!

On 3/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, PsychicKid said:

Ah man, are you my kindred spirit? I LOVE MMC, and everything about Twilight. Her arc through the entire series has been a joy to watch, and seeing MMC for the first time had me in tears. I only wish it hadn't caused so much strife when it first aired... 2013 was a rough year. I definitely am on board with you though, MMC is my favorite episode! The Last Problem is probably a close second or third, due to it being the final capstone of Twilight's journey.

Also, I'm curious! Is it really cool to hate on A Canterlot Wedding? I must admit I don't pay super close attention to fandom stuff, but that's kind of surprising to read. I thought it was nearly universally praised!

Ah, someome else with taste! :P The reaction to it baffled me, even at the time. I thought it was perfect then and I think it's perfect now. I wouldn't change a second of it.

And, admittedly, my Canterlot Wedding comment was based on the last time I paid attention to community opinions, which was years ago. But there definitely was a wave of "Canterlot Wedding is Actually Bad" for a while there, though maybe it's died down some nowadays.

• Brohoof 1

A Canterlot Wedding! Though if only singular episodes count, Part 2. It was partly the timing in my life and the other is how perfectly I felt it ended. Love Is In Bloom helps~

EDIT: big shoutout to the random Pewdiepie tag on the threads tags rofl

Edited by Pastel Heart
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

With so many excellent episodes to choose from, it's difficult to pick just one! But when I think about it, "The Saddle Row Review" comes to mind as a great example of what the show was all about. Slice of life, great characterization, and a good story. So I think I'll pick that one...for now...lol.

• 2 weeks later...

My top 5 favorite episodes in order!

1. Grannies Gone Wild
  2. The Perfect Pear
  3. Top Bolt
  4. Fall Weather Friends
  5. Twilight's Seven//A Trivial Problem//Gone to Seed//Newbie Dash (I'm kinda at a tie with these four!)
  • Brohoof 1

On 3/20/2020 at 1:26 AM, Pastel Heart said:

A Canterlot Wedding! Though if only singular episodes count, Part 2. It was partly the timing in my life and the other is how perfectly I felt it ended. Love Is In Bloom helps~

EDIT: big shoutout to the random Pewdiepie tag on the threads tags rofl

I forgot how good that episode was. It was the first Bronies React as well, which really marks a time era. *Sings* "Love is in Bloom!" while bobbing head.

The greatest episode is probably always going to be "A Royal Problem". It has the most effect positive on people/Bronies. Now "A Perfect Pair" was just a few episodes after, and probably written by the same people, but it is too emotional.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many good episodes in this show but I'll have to say that my all-time favorite episode of the series is Hurricane Fluttershy for lots of personal reasons. Fluttershy was always my favorite member of the Mane 6 because I related to her so much, but Hurricane Fluttershy really cemented her position as Best Pony for me. The story was done so well and it offered a backstory on why Fluttershy was so shy. I really love episodes that focues on characterization. It was paced well, had good humor and showed the softer side of Rainbow Dash, which I always love seeing on the show. However, it was the moral that stuck with me. Seeing Fluttershy facing her fear without completely achieving the goal of beating the record but still helping get the water to Cloudsdale was realistic and beautiful to see. This was probably the most relatable episode of the show to me. Honorable mentions include Crusaders of the Lost Mark, The Return of Harmony, Filli Vanilli, Tanks for the Memories, It's About Time, Applebuck Season, The Cutie Mark Chronicles, The Show Stoppers, Sisterhooves Social, Hearth's Warming Eve, Flight to the Finish, Pinkie Pride, The Cutie Map, Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?, Rarity Investigates!, A Hearth's Warming Tail, The Saddle Row Review, Where the Apple Lies, A Royal Problem, Discordant Harmony, The Perfect Pear, Fame and Misfortune, A Health of Information, Sounds of Silence, Twilight's Kingdom, Frenemies and the Last Problem.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite episodes would be

1 The Perfect Pear

2. Twlights Kingdom

3. Hurricane Fluttershy

4. Pinkie Pride

5. Stranger Then Fan Fiction

6. Amending fences

7. Lesson Zero

8. Sisterhoove Social

9.Party of One

10. Sleepless in ponyvile

Honorable mentions, read it and weep, pinkie apple pie, magical mystery cure, last round up, flight to the finish, slice of life

• 2 months later...

My favorite episode is definitely Hurricane Fluttershy. I can't even count how many times I've watched that episode, it is so good!

First and foremost is the plot. Pegasus ponies getting together so they can create a tornado to funnel water to Cloudsdale. It's such a cool concept and they executed it so well. The fact that the episode centered around my two favorite characters, also helped. Not only did it show lots of interactions between Fluttershy and Rainbow dash, but it showed how well their personalities really work with each other. The lesson of getting over that fear and anxiety with determination resonated so well with me. Every scene from the episode is amazing, especially the training montage and Fluttershy pulling through in the end. On top of all the great characterization of Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, we also got a lot of good world building for the pegasi. They have always been my favorite, so that was awesome to me. Lastly, we got to see so many new background pegasi, which is a real nice bonus. This episode is just amazing, and it's no wonder why nothing has surpassed it as my favorite.

That being said, there are some other really great episodes. Here's my top five:

1. Hurricane Fluttershy

2. Sonic Rainboom

3. Dragonshy

4. Top Bolt

5. Wonderbolts Academy

• 2 weeks later...

I have a huge debate in my head which episode is actually my favorite. There are the "Rock Solid Friendship" that I have watched a million times, but some of Pinkie is dragging that episode down. Then we have "A Royal Problem" which everyone likes because it has princesses, and Starlight. Again, it is the easy pick because everyone can agree it was the best (people that are too emotionally invested in Applejack's parents will not agree).

But Frenemies is such a cool episode, and really did a 180, making the show feel cool again. I really want to support an episode like that! :oh_golly:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Too Many Pinkie Pies is my favorite episode because of how interesting the premise is and Pinkie learns of the consequences but my one problem would be the ending because I would have wanted the real Pinke to be determined to prove that she was the real Pinkie and not just get depressed and win that way having no real motivation and expecting to die.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

In no particular order:

- Call of the Cutie

- The Ticket Master

- The Show Stoppers

- Baby Cakes

- A Friend in Deed

- Sweet & Elite

- Pinkie Pride

- Spike At Your Service

- Equestria Games

- Crusaders of the Lost Mark

- Hearthbreakers

- Dungeons & Discords

- Hurricane Fluttershy

- Family Appreciation Day

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

There far too many of fav. episodes for me to select just a single one. I could give you one episode for every season, while still leaving out so many episodes which should be listed. But I exclude premieres and finales – this should be really a list of its own.

• Bridle Gossip
  • A friend in deed
  • Sleepless in ponyville
  • Pinkie Pride
  • Crusader of the lost Marks
  • No second Prances
  • Fame and Misfortune
  • Sound of Silence
  • Frenemies
  • Brohoof 4