Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music The making of music

Flicker Sweet

I appreciate a song that has really good groove, among other things. Sorry, but with some music I listen to, I could care less about the message :P

Now grooves, they give you something to bang your head to, tap along with, or just feel the song, really. Some of the bands I listen to wouldn't be as good to me without groove elements.

Though I do love musicians with really outspoken, opinionated lyrics that put their morals across. Don't ask me why, I just like music that expresses actual emotion (aka not the stereotypical feel good pop girl song.)

What is the most important thing, in your opinion, in a song? I'm not just talking about loudness, or bass drops, or guitar solos. I mean balance and messages and such.

Well, my favorite music relies on organs or keyboards or mellotrons being played enthusiastically and very nicely and the guitars and bass sounding good with an amazing singer.

I like it when a song has emotion that tags along with the instruments, that make you appreciate what the lyrics are saying. Like most classical music. There is just so much emotion in those instrumentals/vocal tracks, that just make you feel what the composer felt while writing. I also like a good backing beat in a song, and a good melodic pattern.

• Brohoof 1

Music to me is so much like artwork. Every song out there has a meaning and a message. To me the most important thing about music is the artist/band that made the song. I always read up the "background" story and I like to get to know who/what the artist is all about. I also like songs that have meaning to them and "true" musical talent.

There is alot of music out there that does not deserve the attention it gets.... *cough justin beaver, the majority of disney crap *cough*

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne

As long as the music has strong emotion in it or creates some strong emotion within me, than I'll enjoy the music. It usually depends on my mood, but emotion is what brings songs to their peak.

Considering what genres I listen to, I've divided it up to two categories. Powerful songs and beautiful songs.

For powerful ones, a big focus of mine is the drum pattern. The guitar can do so much, and it can only go so far, but it's the drums that give it the needed speed and feel in order for it to really hit you. If it's a fast riff, I want high-tempo "snare-kick-snare-kick" patterns. If it's a slow riff being played, I want cymbal crashes and lots of bass drums, something that makes your ears hurt with every hit. But more importantly, they have to be consistent and they have to suit the song the most.

For beautiful songs, often what I find is that it's not a instrument or two that makes the song beautiful (unless it's like an acoustic song or an acapella or a solo, in which case buzz off), but rather the synchronization between all instruments; common, uncommon and unheard of, in the song itself - how well they mesh together. In the albums I listen to that fit this category, all the ones I love fit together are the ones I love because everything works together in the final product - regardless of whether it being a song, album or entire discography.

In short, drums for powerful songs, chemistry among instruments for beautiful songs.