Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thinking about giving skateboarding a try

Discordian

I know, crazy. I'm not really in it for doing tricks or anything I just wanna be able to ride, at least at first.

I'm not very well balanced so I know I need to work on that....somehow, plus I think my weight is working against me. I have a Skateboard from a few years back but it doesn't turn very well. When I try to turn it squeezes down on the wheel and slows me to a stop and it's either my weight or the skateboard isn't calibrated well. (I know you can affect the performance by messing with the wheels or axle or something)

Anyone here have any skateboarding experience? Got any tips for an absolute beginner?

I used to skateboard quite a bit before I fractured and had surgery on my ankle (don't worry it wasn't from skateboarding :P) Probably the best things that you can do is look up beginner tutorial videos on YouTube. Some of them are actually pretty helpful... Oh and it sounds like your trucks are really loose. Just take a wrench and tighten those up, but just remember not too tight (You still want some flexibility).

Overall, it's pretty much practice practice practice! That's pretty much the key to success.

Good luck and happy skating! :)

• Brohoof 1

I know, crazy. I'm not really in it for doing tricks or anything I just wanna be able to ride, at least at first.

I'm not very well balanced so I know I need to work on that....somehow, plus I think my weight is working against me. I have a Skateboard from a few years back but it doesn't turn very well. When I try to turn it squeezes down on the wheel and slows me to a stop and it's either my weight or the skateboard isn't calibrated well. (I know you can affect the performance by messing with the wheels or axle or something)

Anyone here have any skateboarding experience? Got any tips for an absolute beginner?

Ok first off, if you want a good board, you are going to have to spend some money on it for the trucks, wheels, and the board. I spend about 200 dollars on all of my equipment and it was worth it. Then what are you looking to do? I was more of a vert guy, rather than a street guy. Street skateboarding is flip tricks, grinds, and Rodney Mullen type stuff. I was never good at that because like you, I have no balance. The vert will take some willpower though, because you have to do really scary stuff, and you will need to overcome that fear.

There is another realization that you have to come to. YOU ARE GOING TO FALL AND GET HURT. It sucks, but it is all a part of learning. YOu eventually learn how to break your fall and bring up your tolerance of pain. And like coaster said, practice practice practice.

Ok first off, if you want a good board, you are going to have to spend some money on it for the trucks, wheels, and the board.

This. Putting your own board together, start to finish, can be fairly rewarding. I think the board I used to use cost me about $90 back in the late 90s to put together... wasn't anything too fancy, but it served me well for a fairly long while.

I was a total scrub, though.

Ah, I remember back in the late 90's and early 00's, everybody and their mother was a skater. Or tried to be, at least. Fun times, fun times.

I was never very good, but I could do a few small things. Then I realized I was just trying to look cool and felt like an idiot and stopped :P

I had a feeling I'd be spending lots of money on it. My main motivation for this is purely for exercise reasons. I need something more engaging than just jogging (which sucks so much and I get bored with very easily) so I've been looking into other methods of activity. I play some street basketball every once in a while but I have no ball to play by myself (could go buy one though) and any court I could use is probably taken or is in a school where I can't go on weekdays because there's kids there.

I have a bike but I need a new seat, I considered skateboarding purely for exercise and to possibly improve my balance as well.

I need to lose weight is the main thing but a little balance training won't hurt. :P

If you don't want to do tricks anyways, I'd suggest being hipster controversial and getting a street surfing "waveboard" instead, they're much more fun in my opinion. :P They can go uphill and all, and you never have to touch the ground after you set off, while still requiring concentration to keep moving.E

Vigorboards and ripstiks do more or less the same thing as the waveboard, but I prefer it to the others due to plan higher quality.

Edited by Shaoni

I used to skateboard, but it was very difficult and dangerous for me. I could do some basic stuff like jumping, manual and once I did some trick (I can't remember it's name) but only once. The best way to learn it is to find someone who already do skateboarding or you can watch some videos ( I learned jumping with help of psx game Tony Hawk pro skater (from cinematics) ).

I dont skateboard but my sister does alot of long boarding, Which I would suggest looking up because if you just want to ride and have fun, I longboard would be better. they can go fast, they are very smooth, and they are very quiet. so look up long boarding :)

You mean those ones that you have to wiggle back and forth to make move? I would kiss the pavement with one of those. LOL

Bad balance is bad.

It's similar to riding a bike, really. You get used to it really quickly. I barely have to move at all to keep going forward! The boards also have helpful shoe grips that make sure you don't just slide off. It's probably even easier to keep your balance on one than on a regular skateboard.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...