Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First MLP related thing you saw?

Beat Shock

(edited)

I've told this one a few times, but ten years ago I joined a forum, and one of the top moderators there was a MLP toy collector. She had one for her avatar and username. I'm sure I must had heard of the franchise before that point... at least from commercials, but I tended to ignore whatever was on commercials. xD

Geez... Who would have thought that ten years later I would be a fan of the franchise? Funny the way that the world works! I'm never gonna grow up afterall, huh? *sigh* lol

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

Looking up Offspring music videos. I found one called "Rainbow Dash sings You're gonna go far kid" Then it was a series of internet searches until what I found out about the entirety of MLP.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I was looking up a song by the offspring and I found this video,

I was like  :o , this actually looks really awesome, I'm gonna give the show a chance. So I did, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

edit: lol, just noticed, everyone started with that video!  :P

Edited by Hovershy
  • Brohoof 3

Somebody on one of my old forums had a pony avatar and made a thread about them. Those images were my first exposure to FiM that I can recall. Might have seen a few pictures elsewhere before but thought not much of them.

I stumbled upon this:

I had heard about the show prior, but this got me to watch the show.

Well, first thing I saw was an Applejack avatar on a Cr1TiKaL video - the guy with it was getting thrashed.

As for first thing to actually watch, I saw it on the sidebar of another YouTube video:

I was actually turned off by it. I didn't hold anything against bronies, but I didn't like it. Then I decided to watch an episode to see why the guys liked it so much, got hooked, and fell in love with Rarebear :wub:

(edited)

The first things I saw were pony avatars on unrelated stuff but didn't know or care what they were from.

In late fall of '13 I saw a parody of Powerpuff Girls on TV and recognized that Bubbles' voice was original. I found out it was Tara Strong. I looked her up and saw she was on My Little Pony and was kind of shocked and amused that they were still making that crappy show.

I decided to look it up just to laugh at how crappy it was and how dumb of a character she was voicing. I HAD NO IDEA what I was about to fall into.

after typing my little pony into YouTube I clicked on something that looked the most interesting. It was an animated video with Vinyl Scratch. I was like   :catface:  ??????

One of the next things was the "You're Gonna Go Far Kid" video that a lot of people have posted already and I was still like :catface:  ??????

What REALLY got my interest was the "Children of the Night" video.

I was blown away at how well it was done by ONLY 2 PEOPLE!!!! I also like darker type stuff and liked the vocals in the song. For those who don't know- the singer recorded everything (including the instruments) in her apartment closet on a laptop!!! I also had more of an appreciation for it because I've always liked detailed/smooth animation and have worked with flash and know the enormous amount of work that would have been involved. But the question was still WHY- AND WHY THIS SHOW?!?!?

Eventually I figured that out and here I am.

Edited by steve88

I was a member on Serebii.net Forums, a Pokemon forum, when the whole thing started. Seemed like everyone and their brother had either rainboom or pony avatars/signatures. I had no clue what it was about back then, but now I have a better idea.

If we're talking about any gen here, the first MLP thing I ever encountered in life were some G1 toys at the local antique mall! :) I thought they were pretty and I played with them in the bath when I was very young.

As far as G4, the first time I encountered it and fully realized that they did a reboot was at the mall. I was at either Hot Topic or Claire's and saw a Rainbow Dash necklace. I was like "Ooooh, ponies! Yay!" and I bought it without even watching the show first haha. I later looked up the episodes online, and now I'm obsessed.

I remember, sometime as a 4 year old child (I think), I saw a part of an episode of My Little Pony. No idea what generation, no idea of anything. I remember one pony talking to another telling her not to move a muscle and to stay put until she came back. That is it, all I can remember. But still, that is my first experience, second being my sister's My Little Ponies.

(edited)

May 2011. While waiting for the Trigun/Phoenix Wright crossover panel, I was attending a "How to DJ" panel at the Anime Central convention. The dude had his wallpaper up on screen. 

It looked something like this. 

DJ_Pon-3_S01E14.png
I was thinkin, "that's a pony from a little girls show. O.k., not too unusual. There are guys who still like powerpuff girls. And I'm at an Anime convention for crying out loud." 

"But the pony, it's a DJ too? Since when do shows for little girls and children have DJ's in them? What is a DJ doing in a show taking place in the magical fairy tail land of talking colored horses? How do you even cram a DJ into a TV-Y toddlers show anyways?"

I had no frickin clue that I had stumbled upon my first pony, and my destiny...

Edited by Denim&Venom

Speaking purely of G4...

The first I ever saw of it was on a forum back in 2011. I had been gone for a few months, and when I came back to the forum, everyone had pony avatars.

The first avatar I saw was this:

mlp15.gif

Rarity being a silly pony was literally the first I had ever seen or heard of the show.

I was... confused, to say the least.

If I remember right, the first time I saw MLP:FiM stuff was from avatars on websites like Nintendo Life and Youtube. 

I assumed the people with said avatars were teenage girls or something... but the avatars were everywhere... so I thought something might be up. :huh:  I later found out about bronies, and that explained everything. 

I saw this teens react video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzozSSGETJo#

and ,although it was mostly negative, I kept an open mind and decided to watch the show before making a decision (not just the theme). Most bronies seem to have watched another episode first but I started with season 1: episode 1 and 2 and loved them, I then watched all the other episodes and I am now a brony. That was almost exactly a year ago.