Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Important announcement of mine. (please read the whole thing)

My little pwny

Oh man, I've been thinking the past several days how I was going to write this thread. I wish to make this as clear as possible. Please read the entire post before asking questions or making judgements. But first, why am I telling you this? You guys have treated me, and pretty much everyone here very well, so deserve to know, unlike other internet communities I am a part of.

If you haven't already figured it out, this is a good-bye thread, but a little different. Of course, let me explain.

I am a member of the LDS church, otherwise known as the "Mormon church" (a common nickname). Every young man of around 20 has the opportunity and duty to serve full-time for two years as a missionary for the church. Crazy huh? Well, I've made my decision about this a while ago, I'm just telling you that's why I'm leaving the forums.

Every person who gets called to a mission receives a letter from the leadership of the LDS church telling him where he will serve, and what date he will start. I'm called to serve in Boise, Idaho, but people get called almost everywhere in the world as well as the US. Feel free to ask about this process if you wish.

Most importantly to this forum, is when I am leaving; November 7th of this year. So I have about two months before I leave. The next question you may have is so what? Can't I come on the forums on my mission? Here's your answer: I cannot. What I mean is, I do have access to the internet but it is against Church missionary rules to do so. Anything pertaining to entertainment is disallowed for missionaries because it will distract from the purpose of sacrificing two years of our time.

This means no television, no radio, no internet (for entertainment), and yes this includes MLPforums and watching MLP:FiM. Part of making a decision to serve a mission like I am, involves sacrificing our time, possessions, and money for a two year period.

When I finish my two year mission, I will resume my life hopefully the same way I left it, just two years older. Perhaps things will change during this time, but that's life. My point is, I consider this mission, as we call it, a blessing and a tremendous opportunity to serve God. I wouldn't do this for just a church, I'm doing this because it's what I believe in.

Alright, with all this said, my purpose in letting you know does not involve trying to shove my religion in your face and down your throat. Although I would LOVE for you guys to go to http://www.mormon.org and read about my church, this thread's real purpose is to merely inform those of you who know me on this board. What I don't want is people to think I left for good without explaining why. Without this thread, some of you might be wondering, "Hey, where did that My little pwny guy go? I haven't seen him in 15 months."

Oh... and another thing... I look like an attention whore huh? With my donation (which I haven't regretted for a second) I seem like a very volatile person. To be honest, the two year mission thing is not uncommon. Some of you may already be aware of this concept, in fact, I bet some of you may even be a part of the LDS church.

Another reason why I was willing to tell you guys about this is because I know the brony community is very loving and tolerating. Some communities out there would make fun of me, my religion, and my decision but you guys are very mature and understanding. I thank all of you in advance.

So starting November 7th 2012, you will not be hearing from me until November 8th, 2014. I look forward to seeing you guys then, as well as all the movies, t.v. shows, and all the new MLP episodes I will miss during that time. I hope that the brony community will still be going strong in 2014, so keep the seat warm for me!!! I love you guys, and if I don't get a chance to say it before I leave, consider this my....

See ya later MLPforums! I love you all!

-My Little pwny :wub:^_^

A few side notes about this thread. Once again, please read everything before you post. I know some of you won't but it's worth mentioning. I will not be discussing this topic outside of this thread or on PMs, so please treat me like a regular poster in the meantime.

Please do not hijack this thread into a religion discussion, I'm not here to have my mind changed, or to convert you. I ask you to respect that. You are free to ask any question you like, but if it has something to do with the LDS church's doctrine or my personal beliefs, I will only respond with a link and a short sentence, if I respond at all. PM's are welcome if you have questions, I'll be more likely to answer them if you do that. Thank you all :)

Edited by My little pwny
  • Brohoof 46

Well, I'm not going to say "I'll miss you" because I'm sure it'll be great for you and you'll love it :)

While I may not be religious, I can understand why this is such an appealing opportunity, so I hope all goes well and to see you in the future!

Edited by Arya Stark (PDS)
  • Brohoof 3

Have a nice trip? Or would journey be a more appropriate denomination?

Anyways, it's your life, so do what you wish, and we'll see you back in 2 years (plus a few months, since I'm counting from today).

Wow. I respect the hell out of you man. I know I couldn't sacrifice two years of my own life to do something like this.

You re truly a much better man than me.

I will welcome you back with open arms my friend. I will miss you!

Though I hardly knew you, I shall miss you. It's nice to have a mission. I'm not really religious, so I doubt something like that would even be presented to me. Good on ya mate.

You sir, are an awesome individual.I like your dedication towards what you're doing :) I wish you the best of luck with it.The community will be alive and strong when you finally return

I don't believe I've talked to you here on the forums before, but I do wish you luck in your two years away from us. If you plan on returning after the mission is over, and I am still around these parts by then, I look forward to seeing you. Farewell!

Religious-related missions causing several years of absence. Hmmm. I've seen it a few times before on other forums I've been on in the past. Curious enough, neither of those people ever came back. A lot of things can change in a few years; interests are one of those things. Even an interest in an online community.

My nature to be pessimistic due to past experience aside, good luck with your mission. Quite admirable to take so much time and effort dedicated to something like this. I hardly talked to you, but it's always too bad to see someone leaving, even if not permanent.

See you when you return~

• Brohoof 1

Well if you must go... Then bye, see you in a few years. At least your not going to prison and making up a BS excuse (or am I on to you?) you will be missed, and known to me as one of the biggest attention whores I've ever seen. See ya in 2 years.

• Brohoof 1

Religious-related missions causing several years of absence. Hmmm. I've seen it a few times before on other forums I've been on in the past. Curious enough, neither of those people ever came back. A lot of things can change in a few years; interests are one of those things. Even an interest in an online community.

My nature to be pessimistic due to past experience aside, good luck with your mission. Quite admirable to take so much time and effort dedicated to something like this. I hardly talked to you, but it's always too bad to see someone leaving, even if not permanent.

See you when you return~

Yes, I have heard of the same thing where people don't go back to their old internet life when they return...

One thing that's going for me is the fact that MLP and bronydom is unprecedented. There hasn't been a missionary that has returned that has heard of MLP being a big catch yet. The missionaries that left from September 12th 2010 are still not home and haven't heard of G4 MLP. The show came out on October 10th right? So even if a guy became a brony the first day the show came out and left on October 11th, we wouldn't see a brony missionary returning until exactly a month from now.

• Brohoof 3

Aww... thats sadening to see someone leave. Ah well. See you!...in two years? damn. Thats like a couple seasons...

Thats a A LOOOOT of pony stuff u will be missing out on. lol

Well anyway. Hopefully your mission in that great state of potatoes turns out to be nice. We will all miss you. Even if some of us have never even spoken to you.

(including me...)

Bye! see you in a couple years!

(by then i probably would of forgotten who you are...)

• Brohoof 1

Two years, wow, that's a little bit too harsh in my opinion but It's your decision, and I respect it.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your mission and hope that everything goes well. Let ponies give you strenght to fulfill your duty.

See ya in two years!

• Brohoof 1

Oh man, I've been thinking the past several days how I was going to write this thread. I wish to make this as clear as possible. Please read the entire post before asking questions or making judgements. But first, why am I telling you this? You guys have treated me, and pretty much everyone here very well, so deserve to know, unlike other internet communities I am a part of.

If you haven't already figured it out, this is a good-bye thread, but a little different. Of course, let me explain.

I am a member of the LDS church, otherwise known as the "Mormon church" (a common nickname). Every young man of around 20 has the opportunity and duty to serve full-time for two years as a missionary for the church. Crazy huh? Well, I've made my decision about this a while ago, I'm just telling you that's why I'm leaving the forums.

Every person who gets called to a mission receives a letter from the leadership of the LDS church telling him where he will serve, and what date he will start. I'm called to serve in Boise, Idaho, but people get called almost everywhere in the world as well as the US. Feel free to ask about this process if you wish.

Most importantly to this forum, is when I am leaving; November 7th of this year. So I have about two months before I leave. The next question you may have is so what? Can't I come on the forums on my mission? Here's your answer: I cannot. What I mean is, I do have access to the internet but it is against Church missionary rules to do so. Anything pertaining to entertainment is disallowed for missionaries because it will distract from the purpose of sacrificing two years of our time.

This means no television, no radio, no internet (for entertainment), and yes this includes MLPforums and watching MLP:FiM. Part of making a decision to serve a mission like I am, involves sacrificing our time, possessions, and money for a two year period.

When I finish my two year mission, I will resume my life hopefully the same way I left it, just two years older. Perhaps things will change during this time, but that's life. My point is, I consider this mission, as we call it, a blessing and a tremendous opportunity to serve God. I wouldn't do this for just a church, I'm doing this because it's what I believe in.

Alright, with all this said, my purpose in letting you know does not involve trying to shove my religion in your face and down your throat. Although I would LOVE for you guys to go to http://www.mormon.org and read about my church, this thread's real purpose is to merely inform those of you who know me on this board. What I don't want is people to think I left for good without explaining why. Without this thread, some of you might be wondering, "Hey, where did that My little pwny guy go? I haven't seen him in 15 months."

Oh... and another thing... I look like an attention whore huh? With my donation (which I haven't regretted for a second) I seem like a very volatile person. To be honest, the two year mission thing is not uncommon. Some of you may already be aware of this concept, in fact, I bet some of you may even be a part of the LDS church.

Another reason why I was willing to tell you guys about this is because I know the brony community is very loving and tolerating. Some communities out there would make fun of me, my religion, and my decision but you guys are very mature and understanding. I thank all of you in advance.

So starting November 7th 2012, you will not be hearing from me until November 8th, 2014. I look forward to seeing you guys then, as well as all the movies, t.v. shows, and all the new MLP episodes I will miss during that time. I hope that the brony community will still be going strong in 2014, so keep the seat warm for me!!! I love you guys, and if I don't get a chance to say it before I leave, consider this my....

See ya later MLPforums! I love you all!

-My Little pwny :wub:^_^

A few side notes about this thread. Once again, please read everything before you post. I know some of you won't but it's worth mentioning. I will not be discussing this topic outside of this thread or on PMs, so please treat me like a regular poster in the meantime.

Please do not hijack this thread into a religion discussion, I'm not here to have my mind changed, or to convert you. I ask you to respect that. You are free to ask any question you like, but if it has something to do with the LDS church's doctrine or my personal beliefs, I will only respond with a link and a short sentence, if I respond at all. PM's are welcome if you have questions, I'll be more likely to answer them if you do that. Thank you all :)

............................mah jaw, hit, the ground....when I saw that :o x20. I would KILL myself if I didn't have those for 2 years. The fact that you're doing so is pretty amazing. Well, at least you still have 2 more months 'till that dreaded date. I will always remember you for donating 630 dollars to the site ;)

Edited by spas-ticShotty
  • Brohoof 1

What I know about the LDS usually comes from South Park and the Book of Moron play, no disrespect there. But I understand the Mormon way and their 'Mission'.

I have a strong respect for Mormons. About the only respect for any religious organization, other than Buddhists and Hindus. What people have to go through in the LDS seems like a proper rite of passage. They're about the only Christian organization that I really see as being true Christians.

@@My little pwny, or maybe Elder My little pwny should suffice, I wish you the best of luck on your Mission.

• Brohoof 2

............................mah jaw, hit, the ground....when I saw that :Ox20. I would KILL myself if I didn't have those for 2 years. The fact that you're doing so is pretty amazing. Well, at least you still have 2 more months 'till that dreaded date. I will always remember you for donating 630 dollars to the site ;)

I've gotta tell ya, my life's been a crazy ride this year so far. Earlier this year I came very close to doing something I could never take back... and then I became a Brony, which has been the most important thing to happen to me in my life up to this point. Ever since I became a Brony, my life has improved exponentially.

• Brohoof 3

I've gotta tell ya, my life's been a crazy ride this year so far. Earlier this year I came very close to doing something I could never take back... and then I became a Brony, which has been the most important thing to happen to me in my life up to this point. Ever since I became a Brony, my life has improved exponentially.

If I was in your position......to hell with being a Mormon, I'm going straight to Catholicism (I'm already Catholic, though :))! Not saying being a Mormon is bad, but that 2-year retreat or whatever sounds like a living hell for those like me, who are constantly glued to electronics.

• Brohoof 1

Gonna miss you, man.

Be safe of your mission journey. See you in...two years. o_o

What I know about the LDS usually comes from South Park and the Book of Moron play, no disrespect there.

Yeah. There are actually more people than there should be who know about various religions only through parodies. :P
  • Brohoof 1

If I was in your position......to hell with being a Mormon, I'm going straight to Catholicism (I'm already Catholic, though :))! Not saying being a Mormon is bad, but that 2-year retreat or whatever sounds like a living hell for those like me, who are constantly glued to electronics.

I totally get what you're saying. I had a friend that moved away a few months ago that's also mormon. He choose not to go. Even though we're told that us boys have a duty to serve a mission, some guys choose not too, it's because its not for everyone. But yeah, I understand why you'd say that.

Edited by My little pwny

Gonna miss you, man.

Be safe of your mission journey. See you in...two years. o_o

Yeah. There are actually more people than there should be who know about various religions only through parodies. :P

Matt Stone and Trey Parker actually give a very fair portrayal of the Church of Latter Day Saints, unlike Michael Moore, who they hate with a passion.