Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you really die for someone?

Driz

I don’t think I’d sacrifice my life for a significant other, but for my family and my brother in particular I’d give up my life in a heart beat. They really do mean the world to me and while giving up my life would be extremely difficult, they mean that much to me that I whole heartedly believe I would die for them.

Without lying and without having to think about it much, I can say I would definitely risk my life for my sister. I would catch a bullet for her, for instance. I don't really want to think about what my decisions would be if I was 100% positive one of us will die tho. :(

I don't think anyone can really know until they are put in that kind of situation. I honestly don't know if I would or not. I'm single, so I don't have anyone I would say that to, but I would like to think I could do that. I don't like myself very much, and I'm not afraid of death, so I don't know. Maybe.

I will admit it is very much easier to do potential sacrifice vs definite sacrifice no matter how horrendous the odds. That small chance of success is often enough to drive people to perform the heroic.

I've heard this phrase so many times now, and it's honestly starting to annoy me. Couples say to each other nonsense things like "I love you more than life itself" and "I would die for you". It's irritating simply because I know they wouldn't really do it. They're just saying that to get laid to sound cute.

I mean, can you even love someone that much? Can you have such a strong bond with someone that you would throw your life away in order to save that person?

Is it even something smart to do?? Because if you love someone that much, you wouldn't be willing to die at all. You would want to live your life along with your partner as long as you can. Would your partner even want you to die for him/her? Would him/her be happy afterwards? I honestly have no idea...

Anyway, I just wanted to get this thing outta my chest... Sorry if I offended someone.

So, what do you guys think?

Ok, in all honesty I actually WOULD die for someone. It's just me. I would die for ANYONE. If I had to save a life of someone I didn't even know, I would do it.

I have never a particularly strong "drive to live". I guess If I could save multiple lives by giving my own, I would do so without much thought. But If there were only one other life at stake then (not to sound selfish or anything) I would have to think about it... very hard. And I would most likely give it a pass.

Also, I don't like the odds of "potentially" saving someone. If there's not at least an 90% chance of them getting off safely, then I won't bother. I'd rather save my life to perhaps save someone else in the future.

If it's a situation where either I or the other person have to die then that changes stuff a little. In that case, I think it's safe to say that I would give my life for them.

Personal relationships are of little influence to all of this, what I've said here pretty much applies to everyone I know and everyone I don't know...

No, wait, that's not right... There's a handful of people who I'd gladly let die, no matter what the situation. (I know, I know! "Love and tolerate everyone". Well, I refuse to "love" everyone, as that is just a ridiculous concept in itself, and tolerance has nothing to do with me not being willing to give my life to save someone. If anything, that's the default human response to these kind of things and everything else is just an exception. "If I don't care for you, I reserve the right to care for myself!")

It's as hard to keep living for someone's sake as to die for someone.

Most people use those kind of phrases as a way to demonstrate how serious they are, but reality looks a bit different if they have to keep their said words.

It's the same with the word hate. Hate is the ultimate form of negative feelings towards a person, but it's the most used word for describing their discontent about another person they really don't like.

I, for myself, don't really know if I'd be able to die for someone. I haven't found a person yet, which I could possibly cherish for the same value as my own life.

Edited by Marelin
  • Brohoof 1

If I were in a situation where I had a chance to sacrifice myself to save a loved one, I would do it gladly without any hesitation.

If I was in the same situation, but the one I would have a chance to save was a stranger or a person that I barely know, I'd probably do the same, because the said person would probably be way more beneficial to humankind than me. Plus, there wouldn't be a lot of people that would miss me anyway.

I would most definitely risk myself fatal harm for another human being that I love, or even barely know. They deserve their life and if that means if I have to risk mine so that they may live it, then that is what I would choose. They will most likely be more beneficial to others than I would be and that is more important than my personnel well-being.

I would be happy to risk my life to save someone, although if someone pointed a gun at me and said "you or them" chances are i would say them. I think i would die to save my close family members though.

• 7 years later...

I definitely would if I loved someone enough, but I haven't had anyone that important to me in my life since early high school. I think I would also be able to risk my life for even a stranger in many cases, but if I had to do something knowing there was no chance I'd survive, I'm not sure I'd be able to do anything.

No, I would avenge instead.  :maud: 

In all seriousness though, I wouldn’t let down my live for some strangers.

It goes against my nature to die for someone. You never really know if you did something for that someone if you lose your life. What if you can save more lives by staying alive? Dying is never an answer.

• Brohoof 1

Being totally honest, not even for any significant other person, including my boyfriend. Instead I would probably just freeze up when the situation arose, potentially just causing us both to die. It's not that I value my own life, it's just that I'm too nervous to sacrifice it willingly if not by my own hand if that makes sense.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

Never ever ever.

Not even if it meant the death of thousands of people.

My own life is the most valuable thing in the entire universe. Everything I treasure will cease to exist the moment I die as my subjective view of the world disappears with my life.

I might if she can fulfill the next requirements:

To the first person that helps me to understand

I will give my time, I will give my faith

To the first person that helps me to leave

this hell in which I myself decided to live