Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My school stalks my facebook?

~Sugar Sprinkles~

It's bad enough that school is imposed on people for eight hours a day plus homework, and that students are bullied by other kids as well as teachers. But sticking their noses into someone's facebook is taking personal intrusion and invasion of privacy to new depths. If someone doesn't step up and take a stand against this kind of thing it'll get out of control and schools will think they can help themselves to anything they like. If teachers don't like what's being said about them (or about anything) they have only themselves to blame for invading someone else's privacy. And freedom of speech is something that should be taught at school rather than condemned and punished. People have a right to opinions, right or wrong, good or bad. That's a constitutional right and if it's no longer acceptable they should take it to law and see where it gets them.

As it is, facebook is a standing invitation for handing out personal information to unwelcome visitors, and in this day and age that's just asking for trouble. That's why I keep mine under lock and key so to speak. It's one thing to guard one's self against wackos, but now schools are abusing the rights of others too? That's just unacceptable, but hardly surprising.  

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

I mean, yeh getting in trouble because you're only taken a picture with friends is a little extreme but wait till you get to a workplace. They'd watch you like a hawk, that's why I didn't bother creating one. 

On 10/5/2017 at 10:39 PM, Dreambiscuit said:

It's bad enough that school is imposed on people for eight hours a day plus homework, and that students are bullied by other kids as well as teachers. But sticking their noses into someone's facebook is taking personal intrusion and invasion of privacy to new depths. If someone doesn't step up and take a stand against this kind of thing it'll get out of control and schools will think they can help themselves to anything they like. If teachers don't like what's being said about them (or about anything) they have only themselves to blame for invading someone else's privacy. And freedom of speech is something that should be taught at school rather than condemned and punished. People have a right to opinions, right or wrong, good or bad. That's a constitutional right and if it's no longer acceptable they should take it to law and see where it gets them.

As it is, facebook is a standing invitation for handing out personal information to unwelcome visitors, and in this day and age that's just asking for trouble. That's why I keep mine under lock and key so to speak. It's one thing to guard one's self against wackos, but now schools are abusing the rights of others too? That's just unacceptable, but hardly surprising.  

Companies and school districts are actually allowed to do that; for the former, it's more or less that you represent the company and they don't want you speaking against it outside of company grounds and that's a good way to enforce it (companies are very concerned of workers whistle-blowing and usually take measures to prevent it – that's why if you're laid off or decide to quit they usually give you months of salary money after you leave in return for a contract to keep you from talking negatively about them). They also like to see what kind of person you are behind curtains if you're writing a resume. Is that a good thing? Probably not, but they expect that if you willingly put your personal information on the Internet they're permitted to passively stalk you.

School districts also stick their noses into your social media accounts for various reasons, though I know the school districts here in California try to justify it claiming that it's to combat cyberbullying or stamp out racist/homophobic/sexist behavior against students. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...