Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Past Generations of Ponies?

sciaenops22

Rainbow Dash always dresses in style!

post-124-0-66341800-1321390336_thumb.jpg

Don't even joke about that.

Oh my god, that sounds disgusting >.<

My sisters have watched the old one and they prefer it over FiM...they have no sense of what a good show is :P

Maybe they just need some Fluttershy.
  • Brohoof 1

I've never had even a passing interest in the old cartoons whatsoever.

Of course, that's normal for a 15-year-old guy, but I honestly tried to watch an episode of the old series. About 5 minutes in, something snapped, and I could't bear it any longer. Perhaps it was the incredibly annoying voices; maybe it was the lazy animation; or maybe it was the fact that all the characters were exactly the same. Either way, there's no way I'm going to submit myself to that again anytime soon. *shudders*

I honestly didn't even know of My Little Pony until seven years ago and even then my interest in it was very, very low. All I saw were the toys and brushing their manes was never something that I had any interest in. lol

With that said I haven't seen any of the shows before Friendship Is Magic. I didn't even know that My Little Pony cartoons existed before FiM came around. I've looked at them and they don't appeal to me as much. Especially Generation 3. The style of it honestly makes me think of nothing other than Barney. I'm so glad Faust designed a new style for the ponies that actually made them adorable. (Generation 1 was a lot more appealing visually than 3, though. I'll give it that).

It's funny when you meet old MLP fans who hate on FiM because it's digital and not hand drawn. Honestly, they look way better in FiM. It doesn't matter whether they're digital or hand-drawn! (not to put down hand-drawn animation, I could see why somebody would prefer hand-drawn. It's just hating on FiM solely because it's digital?)

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

lazy animation; or maybe it was the fact that all the characters were exactly the same.

So True...

The old MLP was just to entertain kids and to get a way to sell endless toys.

There was nothing I could see as creative in the original.

• 4 years later...

I honestly didn't even know of My Little Pony until seven years ago and even then my interest in it was very, very low. All I saw were the toys and brushing their manes was never something that I had any interest in. lol

With that said I haven't seen any of the shows before Friendship Is Magic. I didn't even know that My Little Pony cartoons existed before FiM came around. I've looked at them and they don't appeal to me as much. Especially Generation 3. The style of it honestly makes me think of nothing other than Barney. I'm so glad Faust designed a new style for the ponies that actually made them adorable. (Generation 1 was a lot more appealing visually than 3, though. I'll give it that).

It's funny when you meet old MLP fans who hate on FiM because it's digital and not hand drawn. Honestly, they look way better in FiM. It doesn't matter whether they're digital or hand-drawn! (not to put down hand-drawn animation, I could see why somebody would prefer hand-drawn. It's just hating on FiM solely because it's digital?)

It's funny how you see new MLP fans hating on older generations cuz its hand drawn. I prefer Traditional animation and the ponies at least look like a horse. The people who animate FiM have clearly never seen a horse in their entire lives.

I have two ponies in this picture, a Shetland and a Dartmoor. Go ahead and tell me that horses have bird beaks and balloon shaped heads like the current generation does and are somehow cuter for it.

post-37221-0-42990600-1461968189_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leave a Whisper

It's funny how you see new MLP fans hating on older generations cuz its hand drawn. I prefer Traditional animation and the ponies at least look like a horse. The people who animate FiM have clearly never seen a horse in their entire lives.

I have two ponies in this picture, a Shetland and a Dartmoor. Go ahead and tell me that horses have bird beaks and balloon shaped heads like the current generation does and are somehow cuter for it.

Okay, it was weird to read that post of mine you quoted... It's as if someone other than me posted it. o.o

My bad. Sorry that that came out so snippy. *_*'

No, it's because it's a post of mine from 2011. Old band-wagon G3 hating me. *sigh* Now I will gladly don a G3 avatar on other forums to repel Bronies show I like G3. =P

No, it's because it's a post of mine from 2011. Old band-wagon G3 hating me. *sigh* Now I will gladly don a G3 avatar on other forums to repel Bronies show I like G3. =P

No it's my fault. It's something of a pet peeve of mine to hear people call older, well done hand animation cheap and praise flash animation. It's petty that I let it irritate me like I do because it's opinion and a matter of aesthetics. I'm really sorry Envy. :(

Edited by Leave a Whisper

This feels again like a Topic, we already had in a slightly different way and since i have wrote a very very long Post in a similar Topic, i will keep myself short this time.

Generation 1 - I liked it, it was the First Generation i watched. It was funny, i liked the Animation Style and Fantasy Elements.

Generation 1.5 - I loved it ! Its by far still my favorite Show of them all !  :squee:

Generation 2 - Again, great improvement on the drawing Style and a very cute Game.

Generation 3 - A little bit more boring, but still has its emotional scenes and humor. I still liked it, but its the worst.

Generation 3.5 - The Movie was good, the shorts pretty horrible and from low quality. It was very painful to watch.

But the Movie was better than G3, so...i like the one Movie more than G3 but everything else from this Generation is just horrible.

Generation 4 - I like it.  :fluttershy:  The only problem i have with this one, is the ( to me ) to simplistic drawing Style, to over the top Characters and sometimes a to fast pacing.

Some Episodes feel rushed.

• 3 years later...

I had some exposure to G1 books and cassettes as a kid, but I mainly discovered MLP through FIM and then went back to see the history.Each of the show's has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and none of them are as good as FIM as a whole - but that's partly because FIM draws on all of them. G1's mystical world of adventure mixed with Tales' episodic slice-of-life, and a whole bunch of G3 elements as icing.