Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fan fiction The Star In Yellow

Blueshift

Hi everyone! I thought I'd share a fic I've recently finished. I'm really pleased with it and it's got really good reviews from everyone who's read it so far, let me know what you think! It's a Pony version of a lovecraftian-style horror, but through a pony filter (ie a lot of comedy)

http://www.fimfictio...-Star-In-Yellow

Deep in the Royal Library is a book. A terrible book that is said to send whoever reads it mad. A book so dangerous that it has to be hidden away and secured with chains to prevent it from ever being opened.

A book which has just been accidently checked out by Spike on behalf of Twilight Sparkle.

The Star In Yellow is rising once more, and only Rainbow Dash and Spike can save Twilight before it's too late. Ideas live forever. Ponies do not.

Posted Image

Edited by Blueshift

Better suit myself up with something dark and omnious then.

*Queues up Te Deum for orchestra, pipe organ and choir by Arvo Part*

~ ~ ~

By the first partition whereupon Miss Sparkle "is not impressed", I am very pleased with the inclination of how well written it is, so it gets a pass.

However the dark tonality is making itself quite felt, and I do not know if it's going to be a happy ending, which is concerning me slightly.

~

The tone is now egregiously non-canon with the exaggeration of flaws in the characters- or at least Rainbow Dash's egotism and Twilight's dismissiveness thereof. I'm having doubts about a happy ending that would be retributional.

That is to say, I find the exaggeration rather unwanted and unmerited compared to the show.

~

Okay now that she's reading the Book, things are starting to get interesting. Maybe there will be a happy ending.

~

Screw it I'm reading the last paragraph of the last chapter.

~

Okay resume where I was.

~

Need to lay off the coffee.

~

~

I will be reading this in entirety. Congratulations, you've won a Good Prize in my Fan-fiction classification system.

By the first partition whereupon Miss Sparkle "is not impressed", I am very pleased with the inclination of how well written it is, so it gets a pass. However the dark tonality is making itself quite felt, and I do not know if it's going to be a happy ending, which is concerning me slightly.

It depends on what your definition of happy is. I was a bit so-so on using the tag 'dark' because it conjours up unwanted imagery, but it is dark in places, and it would probably be unfair to have some read it who thinks it will be happy clappy.

That said, it's not grimdark or 'horrible' by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not a fan of stories with lots of blood or guts, or horrid for the sake of being horrid. There needs to be a good reason if you use such things.

I'd class it as bittersweet in the end, I think. A happy ending, of a sort.

The tone is now egregiously non-canon with the exaggeration of flaws in the characters- or at least Rainbow Dash's egotism and Twilight's dismissiveness thereof.

Mmmm maybe. I do admit sometimes I turn the characters up a few notches, but then again so does the show. Rainbow Dash's egotism tends to fluctuate depending on which episode it is.

On the same subject, I wrote a fic a while ago, Twilight's Last Gleaming, which centred around Twilight going too far in an April Fools day prank. Lots of people said that was out of character and she wouldn't go that far at all, and then Lesson Zero aired in which she went much much further, my goodness!

Okay resume where I was. ~ Need to lay off the coffee. ~ ~ I will be reading this in entirety. Congratulations, you've won a Good Prize in my Fan-fiction classification system.

Thanks, I'd be interested to hear what you think once you've read it all! :)

Currently half way through chapter 3.

The prose has a verifiable eccentricity to it in how complicated it can be considered metalogically, yet how inelegant it's conveyed in speech (such as the repeated use of "is/are/am the best pony").

Certainly among the better of fictions I've read, but not the best.

Liking it because of how it's a Rip-Ya-A-New-One of the average OC Pony fiction, although I doth protest to the exaggeration of Rainbow Dash.

Edited by Blue

• 1 month later...

Currently half way through chapter 3. The prose has a verifiable eccentricity to it in how complicated it can be considered metalogically, yet how inelegant it's conveyed in speech (such as the repeated use of "is/are/am the best pony")..

Thanks. Yeah a few people picked up on that, glad you noticed. There's also a few verbal tics in there that should be familiar, but that's more a pointer towards the end of the story.

While a lot of it is indeed a 'why do people write OC Mary Sue pony fiction', I think it actually ended up rather sympathetic towards that drive to write in such a way.

I just found some fanart someone did of this story! Da'aaw, I love it when people do that!

Posted Image

Art by C-Puff - http://c-puff.devian...-Pony-285935739

Also a piece by me which I realised I hadn't shared!

Posted Image

http://blueshift2k5....arkle-278379793

Oh boy oh boy, I have some Madmax art for my story! I am the most chuffed guy in the world!

Posted Image